• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Boxes and boxes and boxes"

Collapse

• rl4engc
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Can you provide examples of good, non-copyright TV programmes that one can download?
    Yes, I do believe I can.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
    It's the live tv bit I'm struggling with. I want to cancel sky and have a Kodi media center but the littleun likes the kids channels and the Mrs watches all that kardashian crap. I download the stuff I watch but she would miss bbc, itv, e! Ect.
    All the live TV you can possibly imagine is available with just a few Kodi add ons.

Start here: Install Kodi on Amazon Fire TV in a few simple steps

Then look for top twenty kodi live stream add ons.

If it is on TV, anywhere, you'll get it.

Alternatively, buy a 'fully loaded' amazon fire from EBay or similar.

Leave a comment:

• TheLordDave
    replied
    It's the live tv bit I'm struggling with. I want to cancel sky and have a Kodi media center but the littleun likes the kids channels and the Mrs watches all that kardashian crap. I download the stuff I watch but she would miss bbc, itv, e! Ect.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    For 'watching' TV purposes, all you need to do is buy an Amazon fire stick and install Kodi and a big pile of Kodi add ons and you'll get every TV channel, film, sport and event available on TV to mankind. All you need from there is wifi. Simples.

For a recording set up without setting up servers under the stairs, I'm still trying to find out. I've got the above solution for son's bedroom and a spare one that moves about a bit.

Got rid of multi room and Sky is only used now for the Mrs to record her crap.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    They did say that they were making a saving of £100 a month, though - so were clearly paying for some kind of TV that Kodi now provides for free.
    I think they were paying for the convenience, I did used to have Sky a long time ago but realised freesat was pretty good and I should watch less TV!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    Heh. "Average Joe" would pay £70/month for $ky or whatever.

Personally I just use terrestrial for "see what's on" browsing and XBMC for everything else, with the right addons and good skin (I use Ace) and a good setup on your home server doing the legwork (e.g. Download a non-copyright TV series, XBMC picks it up in it's scan, appears on startpage with all the fanart, plots etc.) it makes a very slick media centre indeed.
    Can you provide examples of good, non-copyright TV programmes that one can download?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    OP did not mention sky, have you been on a Suity requirements finding course?
    They did say that they were making a saving of £100 a month, though - so were clearly paying for some kind of TV that Kodi now provides for free.

Leave a comment:

• rl4engc
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Hardy a solution suitable for the average Joe.
    Heh. "Average Joe" would pay £70/month for $ky or whatever.

Personally I just use terrestrial for "see what's on" browsing and XBMC for everything else, with the right addons and good skin (I use Ace) and a good setup on your home server doing the legwork (e.g. Download a non-copyright TV series, XBMC picks it up in it's scan, appears on startpage with all the fanart, plots etc.) it makes a very slick media centre indeed.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Kodi supports live tv from a backend - frequently TVheadend but you can use others. TvHeadend/VDR etc allows you to create a live tv server and Kodi has a client that can view that live tv.

You can then consolidate satellite boxes by popping a PC running tvheadend with lots of DVB-T & DVB-S (freeview & satellite) adapters on in Node zero (a cupboard where all your network junk can go). You can then with smaller boxes such as fire tv stick run Kodi on each TV and take away your satellite receiver etc from each room.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    we aren't the average Joe.
    Yeah but there are quite a few PM's here, and excel confuses them

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Yeah, a bunch of TV tuner adapters running on a Linux box (drivers ??) controlled by a software, that connects to another software, that connects to a HDMI stick/set-top box on the each TV. What could possibly go wrong? Hardy a solution suitable for the average Joe.
    we aren't the average Joe.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    yes it does.

Kodi supports live tv from a backend - frequently TVheadend but you can use others. TvHeadend/VDR etc allows you to create a live tv server and Kodi has a client that can view that live tv.

You can then consolidate satellite boxes by popping a PC running tvheadend with lots of DVB-T & DVB-S (freeview & satellite) adapters on in Node zero (a cupboard where all your network junk can go). You can then with smaller boxes such as fire tv stick run Kodi on each TV and take away your satellite receiver etc from each room.

Tvheadend PVR - Kodi

If you store your movies / box sets on a NAS you can watch them as well.
    Yeah, a bunch of TV tuner adapters running on a Linux box (drivers ??) controlled by a software, that connects to another software, that connects to a HDMI stick/set-top box on the each TV. What could possibly go wrong? Hardy a solution suitable for the average Joe.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    I'm still happy with Topfield 5800 + Mystuff app. Purchased in 2006, it is still better than Sky+. Only Freeview however, and no HD.

Also Sony Blu-ray DVD for Amazon/Sony TV offerings, WD TV Live (doesn't understand YouTube anymore), controlled by Logitech Harmony remote.
    Another option. But the idea is to centralise a TV server so you can watch anything anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    So where do I put my Sky card?
    I can make some suggestions but SKY don't like them. If you search the forums you might figure out how. Personally they can be sure I don't want anything to do with them.

you could of course use Sky go etc.

OP did not mention sky, have you been on a Suity requirements finding course?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    yes it does.

Tvheadend PVR - Kodi

If you store your movies / box sets on a NAS you can watch them as well.
    So where do I put my Sky card?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X