• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Croatia

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Croatia"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    If you fancy somewhere a bit quieter then a hop down the coast to Cavtat is worth a day trip. The coast road is worth the trip on it's own.
    Yep, we are setting off as soon as the washing is done, heading down to Garuda for a little sightseeing.
    I have climbed more steps in the last few days than I knew existed.
    I was overweight when I got here ,now I look like a skelington that's done 3 years on the Burma railway

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    It's our 3rd day in Dubrovnik sitting in the sun on the terrace overlooking the old city
    The sea is a perfect blue and the birds are singing.
    It took us two days to get to zadar in Croatia then half a day down to Dubrovnik.
    A perfect trip apart from riding a red weather warning through the Austrian Alps on Monday
    Beer is good at 1.50 a pint

I want to take a jaunt into Bosnia but Mrs eo is dead against it.
    Well done getting there.

Bosnia is okay, a bit like the Northumberland moors but without the silly accents. Some of the small towns are beautiful around the Bihac area, look out for the roadside memorials to the dead from the war, some of them are really beautiful and poignant. If you go just be prepared to have your car searched by Croatian customs for cigarettes and booze on the way back.
    Last edited by GlenW; 2 April 2015, 09:54. Reason: Spelling

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    It's our 3rd day in Dubrovnik sitting in the sun on the terrace overlooking the old city
    It took us two days to get to zadar in Croatia then half a day down to Dubrovnik.
    A perfect trip apart from riding a red weather warning through the Austrian Alps on Monday

If you fancy somewhere a bit quieter then a hop down the coast to Cavtat is worth a day trip. The coast road is worth the trip on it's own.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied

If you get a chance, drive along the route number 8 along Croatian coast.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I did Hampshire to Tabor. I had a co driver who I really didn't need. Then I did Tabor to Hampshire after a weekend of fighting and partying ... then I needed the co-driver. Then we got stopped by German police and had the conversation:

"Any cigarettes in the car?"
    "No, sir"
    "Any alcohol in the car?"
    "No, sir"
    "Any weapons in the car?"
    "Erm ... yes - kind of -"
    *steps away from the door and his hand drops to his waist with a new tension in his body*
    "Get out of the car"

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    14 Hours! good ho.
    I can do that, provided there is a beer and steak and chips at the end
    Sorry Sir, the steak's off. I can offer you a fracas instead?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Pivo...

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    I remember my parents never wanting to go in the days of the old Yugoslavia because it was full of German nudists.

Then the war came.

Don't know if the naturists have since returned to that part of the world.
    A top tip for holiday destinations is to always follow the Germans

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Has anyone driven around Croatia ? any tips or travel advice ?

It's my first proper break for 18 months and I'm desperate. talk about cabin fever.

driving from Manchester to Munich on day 1, then through Slovenia to Zagreb on day 2

I aim to get some winter picture postcards photos in Austria, maybe stay in the mountains for a week on the way back home

vroom vroom
    I remember my parents never wanting to go in the days of the old Yugoslavia because it was full of German nudists.

Then the war came.

Don't know if the naturists have since returned to that part of the world.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by slatt View Post
    I did pretty much this back in 2012 (although starting in London) we also made it to Munich in a single day, but it took about 14 hours from Calais due to traffic!

I can recommend the Plitvic Lakes if you're looking at going inland or pretty much anywhere down the Dalmatia coast.

One area I'd skip if we went again would be the Istria region, its relatively built up and there are much better places to visit further south

Have a good one!
    14 Hours! good ho.
    I can do that, provided there is a beer and steak and chips at the end

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    The word "daunting" doesn't begin to do that drive justice. Take care, man. You'll be throwing up through fatigue.

Leave a comment:

• slatt
    replied
    I did pretty much this back in 2012 (although starting in London) we also made it to Munich in a single day, but it took about 14 hours from Calais due to traffic!

I can recommend the Plitvic Lakes if you're looking at going inland or pretty much anywhere down the Dalmatia coast.

One area I'd skip if we went again would be the Istria region, its relatively built up and there are much better places to visit further south

Have a good one!

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    solo, but I have done a lot. I'll get an hours kip on the boat, then its 600m to munich. thats about 9 hours.

I'll post my piccies on here.
    Please do, when I read the OP I admit it sounded like a good trip, I really need to get some time off myself so the cabin fever comment is ringing a big bell.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    That's serious mileage in a day - I did Manchester > Genoa in my yoof but was nodding off by Karlruhe so had to stop

You doing solo driving or sharing?
    solo, but I have done a lot. I'll get an hours kip on the boat, then its 600m to munich. thats about 9 hours.

I'll post my piccies on here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X