• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why is GBP tanking again the Euro all of a sudden?"

Collapse

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Well the BOE has been issuing quite doveish statements as of late which may be part of why this is so. Equally maybe there's little faith in how effective Eurozone QE will be, plus the whole Greek situation seems to be priced in now.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    They keep the money in a shed.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Well yes, they're just numbers in a ledger. But by doing it away from the banks all pretence of a conversion is shed.
    Is there an international exchange rate for sheds then? Do you get a swiss alpine shelter for a typical Brit garden wooden jobby with wonky hinges?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    To be fair that's pretty much the original model of how international banking was always done. Pool of resources at each end and then it's reconciled by transfer of easily portable assets, far from new
    Well yes, they're just numbers in a ledger. But by doing it away from the banks all pretence of a conversion is shed.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    It's a clever system - they don't actually convert the money but rely on having pools of money in each currency sitting about. One of those "how did nobody think of that?" ideas.
    To be fair that's pretty much the original model of how international banking was always done. Pool of resources at each end and then it's reconciled by transfer of easily portable assets, far from new

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's a clever system - they don't actually convert the money but rely on having pools of money in each currency sitting about. One of those "how did nobody think of that?" ideas.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I used Transferwise.com last time I wanted to send money... is that the one you mean?
    That's the one. Thanks.

Need to have read. Last year sent tens of thousands back to the UK through the bank, stupid I know...
    Last edited by scooterscot; 26 March 2015, 11:02.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I'll sell you some euro. Give you a good price. Seriously actually, there's a peer to peer currency exchange service I read about recently, don't remember the name of it though..
    I used Transferwise.com last time I wanted to send money... is that the one you mean?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Yep off to spain week sat
    Is it the beach or the wonderful gardens of Granada?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Yep off to spain week sat

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Because I'm off skiing in a couple of weeks and I haven't got currency yet. Don't worry, it'll bounce back circa 4th April. You could even make some dirty spekulating cash in the interim if you were that way inclined.
    I'll sell you some euro. Give you a good price. Seriously actually, there's a peer to peer currency exchange service I read about recently, don't remember the name of it though..

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Only last week the media had stories about cheap holiday to be had in euroland. Looks like the offer was short lived.

Not a couple of weeks ago you could have had €1.42 to the £, now its €1.35

Because I'm off skiing in a couple of weeks and I haven't got currency yet. Don't worry, it'll bounce back circa 4th April. You could even make some dirty spekulating cash in the interim if you were that way inclined.

Leave a comment:

• Why is GBP tanking again the Euro all of a sudden?

Only last week the media had stories about cheap holiday to be had in euroland. Looks like the offer was short lived.

Not a couple of weeks ago you could have had €1.42 to the £, now its €1.35

Working...
X