• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Hi?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hi?"

Collapse

• RSoles
    replied
    Yo!

I know a few who start E-Mails and messages with 'Dear...' - it sends shivers up my spine.

I've started using 'Yo'.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Dear Colleague(s),

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I know what you mean but then I also find it a bit silly when another developer I send/receive 10 emails to a day is formal in every tiny email:
    What really gets my goat is when somebody sitting 6 feet away, who I talk to all the time, sends me a formal email. And especially if it's requesting a meeting.

Usually I ignore them and see how long it takes them to speak up.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I know what you mean but then I also find it a bit silly when another developer I send/receive 10 emails to a day is formal in every tiny email:
    Totally this.

I tend to use various media for different purposes.

Emails are there to only contact people if I want to cover my arse, or cannot see them by getting off my butt, or want to tell a bunch of people the same thing at the same time.

If it's getting in touch for a simple question, then I will either add it to the list of questions for that person, or Skype/messenger/yammer them.

Edit : Or Lync if I am forced to use that POS.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Dear d000hg,

Yes that is fine.

Regards,
    Steve.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    Conversely, I don't like emails that start with "All".
    Even if says: ?

All,

We are increasing your day rate by 25% starting yesterday.

Regards,
    Director

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Conversely, I don't like emails that start with "All".

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
    When did it become compulsary to start ever email with Hi?

It used to be just to/from people you knew well and/or liked, now it seems to be the default for everything.
    Having said that, yes, I agree. 'Hi' has been taken too far.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post

It used to be just to/from people you knew well and/or liked, now it seems to be the default for everything.
    I always start with 'Gents' /& 'Ladies' .

If I know everyone quite well, then 'Lads and Lasses'

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Hey!

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    started a topic Hi?

Hi?

Working...
X