• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Happy St Patrick's Day"

Collapse

• Flashman
    replied
    Not so much a Saints Day as a Guinness marketing event. Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I'd prefer a National Father Ted day instead.

Careful now. Down with this sort of thing.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Paddy's day in Ireland isn't the big p!ss up everyone thinks it is.
    You've never been in Donegal?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    Make it so.
    I'd prefer a National Father Ted day instead.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    They could make it a geek celebration here, and have happy Patrick Stewart day instead ????
    Make it so.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    It's a non-event in the UK compared to Australia, US or Canada (probably others too, but those are 3 I've been when the day rolls around).

Of course, in those 3 cases, it's not so much the Irish celebrating, it's a mixture of someone who has a great-great-great-grandfather whose half-brother's uncle was Irish, thus making him/her full-Irish and then the general populace getting pissed, encouraged by the local bars who see another cash jackpot.
    They could make it a geek celebration here, and have happy Patrick Stewart day instead ????

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
    I'm at ClientCo. No drinking obviously so am listening to The Pogues as the next best thing.
    Shane Macgowan, born near Tunbridge Wells, went to Westminster School. The Nipple Erectors was his best band...

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    It's a non-event in the UK compared to Australia, US or Canada (probably others too, but those are 3 I've been when the day rolls around).

Of course, in those 3 cases, it's not so much the Irish celebrating, it's a mixture of someone who has a great-great-great-grandfather whose half-brother's uncle was Irish, thus making him/her full-Irish and then the general populace getting pissed, encouraged by the local bars who see another cash jackpot.
    I used to enjoy getting "Oirish" Americans whose great-great-great-great-great etc... was Irish to admit that when it boiled down it it they were actually American.

I will be celebrating tastefully of course, with black velvet cocktails and home cured spare ribs with calli.

Local bagel place also made me my own special Shamrock bagel , though I do menu development and taste testing for them.

Leave a comment:

• Grasser73
    replied
    I'm at ClientCo. No drinking obviously so am listening to The Pogues as the next best thing.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Wakes aren't as common now, thankfully.

I hated Paddy's day in the UK, it was yet another excuse for the Brits to get p!ssed.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    As in before the funeral so everyone can see Gran laid out in the parlour?

Pretty common that tbh

As to why they drink all day - well it's just an excuse!
    Wakes aren't as common now, thankfully.

I hated Paddy's day in the UK, it was yet another excuse for the Brits to get p!ssed.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post

Pretty common that tbh

I know its common, just will never get used to it

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Still freaks me out when the coffin is brought "home"

Pretty common that tbh

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Have you never been to an Irish funeral?
    Still freaks me out when the coffin is brought "home"

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    As to why one celebrates drinking on the day of death of their patron Saint, is beyond my reach.
    Have you never been to an Irish funeral?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X