• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is a historic walk?"

Collapse

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Bear with me please.

The phrase "a historic walk" - how do you interpret it? I see two possible interpretations, although to me the "true" meaning is clear. Does it mean

(a) A walk that was in of itself historic; a walk that made history (because of its significance). For example, the first walk across the Alps. The first walk from John O'Groats to Land's End.

(b) A walk to or through somewhere historic. For example, a walk through the Forum in Rome, a walk through First World War battlefields.

Interested to hear your thoughts, thanks!
    The term could also be interpreted as a superlative (c/f Winner's Dinners - "The rum babas were historic") so a reference to a "historic walk" could be an allusion to a stroll that was out of this world.
    Last edited by Gumbo Robot; 16 March 2015, 10:22.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    OMPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2ViNJFZC8

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied
    Bear with me please.

The phrase "a historic walk" - how do you interpret it? I see two possible interpretations, although to me the "true" meaning is clear. Does it mean

(a) A walk that was in of itself historic; a walk that made history (because of its significance). For example, the first walk across the Alps. The first walk from John O'Groats to Land's End.

(b) A walk to or through somewhere historic. For example, a walk through the Forum in Rome, a walk through First World War battlefields.

Interested to hear your thoughts, thanks!
    The premise of the question is wrong (perhaps deliberately to catch out pedants like me).

Had option (b) been: "A walk to or through somewhere historical...", then clearly (a) would be the only correct meaning.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I think 3) was an historic walk
    I thought that too - an historic walk, but when I googled it, it suggested that "a" is correct if the H is pronounced.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    That seems to have settled the meaning of "historic walk".

So now what is a British POW camp? Is it a camp in Britain for foreign POWs, or a camp overseas for British POWs?
    It is called something else in Yorkshire -> Scunthorpe.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    That seems to have settled the meaning of "historic walk".

So now what is a British POW camp? Is it a camp in Britain for foreign POWs, or a camp overseas for British POWs?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Good find. I recant.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    You read that tulipe!

Erm, ok.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Thanks for your thoughts. Like so much in English there are shades and nuances and I have it solved now.

Changing "walk" to "event" wasn't too helpful, sorry Suity, but I do appreciate the thought. And you misspelled "semantic"

It's my opinion that a walk can be historic if the walk I will do will go down in history, or if the walk has already gone down in history and I'm repeating it. I'm 50/50 with MS that a walk can also be historic if there is lots of historical stuff along the way.

Ta muchly!
    You read that tulipe!

Erm, ok.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Historic Walks | The Official Globe Trekker WebsiteThe Official Globe Trekker Website

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Thanks for your thoughts. Like so much in English there are shades and nuances and I have it solved now.

Changing "walk" to "event" wasn't too helpful, sorry Suity, but I do appreciate the thought. And you misspelled "semantic"

It's my opinion that a walk can be historic if the walk I will do will go down in history, or if the walk has already gone down in history and I'm repeating it. I'm 50/50 with MS that a walk can also be historic if there is lots of historical stuff along the way.

Ta muchly!

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    I did a historic walk of 8 miles in Malham today

Feck fat !

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I don't think a walk to the shops could be described as historic in that sense, as the purpose of the walk was to get booze and fags, not historical culture.
    It would be historic if I came back without booze and fags

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I think 3) was an historic walk

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    In most cases you wouldn't know that something you were doing was historic; it would only be years later that it would become historic. So you can't say "I'm going for a historic walk", unless perhaps you were Neil Armstrong about to step out on the moon.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    It's all about symantics

So we have a sentence :

I went on an historic walk.

So we have the subject, me, doing something and then the adjective, "historic".

Or rather, let's back it off a bit and forget about the walk and just say "event". This should allow us to focus on the adjective a little more.

I saw an historic event.
    I was involved in an historic event.
    It was an historic event.

All mean the same thing, and should give you the answer to which you seek.

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X