• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Flood of IT immigrants from India"

Collapse

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    whilst many would like to believe evil men are the root of all evil ad nascent rapists , societies views on chastity and morals are frequently heavily influenced by the females. FGM is something mothers and other female relatives drive. I imagine the fate of a rape victim is also mainly decided by the females.

Until we make such behavior disgusting to the vast majority of the population the reaction won't change.

Artists boycotting Sun City was a strong statement against apartheid.
    And a there are a lot of witchdoctors who believe the only way to free a 'possessed child' is to torture and murder them.

I suspect the female views you are talking about is a combination of suppressed education, ignorance and brainwashing.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    If it were a protest against the governments then why only ban men, not all citizens of that country?

Re the sanctions, no, those are government to government actions, and are regularly challenged for legality.
    I'm saying that if shops in London put up signs saying "No Russians allowed", hotels starting turning away Iranians or restaurants said "Oh, you're from North Korea? We don't sell dog, get out" then that would be racist.

whilst many would like to believe evil men are the root of all evil ad nascent rapists , societies views on chastity and morals are frequently heavily influenced by the females. FGM is something mothers and other female relatives drive. I imagine the fate of a rape victim is also mainly decided by the females.

Until we make such behavior disgusting to the vast majority of the population the reaction won't change.

Artists boycotting Sun City was a strong statement against apartheid.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Perhaps they should send immigrants on this course before allowing them into the country:

Children as young as 11 to be given lessons about rape - Telegraph

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    If it were a protest against the governments then why only ban men, not all citizens of that country?

Re the sanctions, no, those are government to government actions, and are regularly challenged for legality.
    I'm saying that if shops in London put up signs saying "No Russians allowed", hotels starting turning away Iranians or restaurants said "Oh, you're from North Korea? We don't sell dog, get out" then that would be racist.

It is not a binary principle or choice though I suspect the Germans are making a point to Indian people in general. If you walk along a dimly lit pavement and one side of the road coming in the other direction is a group of hoodies and on the other is a little old lady, given the choice your defence mechanism (some would call prejudice) would make you walk on the side of the road with the old lady coming in the other direction. the point here is the thought of teaching a group of Indian men on their own is (apparently) unnerving the woman, It is not about applying a principle across all groups of people.

Leave a comment:

• RoastedSlopes
    replied
    Interestingly I believe India is still benefiting from our overseas aid contribution.

Sounds like a reasonable plan to give money to these 'developing' nations whilst laying off our armed forces

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Perhaps the teachers are making a stand against the governments that do nothing about the problem, esp where some of the lawyers promote it. I only saw the reference, I didn't see any justification.

Are you saying sanctions agains NK, Iran and Russia are wrong and illegal and racist?

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Sure. Does that mean that it should be OK to refuse service to all males from those countries, in case they do it to you?

Although that is not what happened in this case, as darmstadt clarified, that is the argument I was replying to.
    Perhaps the teachers are making a stand against the governments that do nothing about the problem, esp where some of the lawyers promote it. I only saw the reference, I didn't see any justification.

Are you saying sanctions agains NK, Iran and Russia are wrong and illegal and racist?

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Honour killings are predominantly if not exclusively amongst the mid east and far east communities wherever they live now. There are cases of it happening after rape here as well as most countries in the world and often the families make the boys do it so that they are immune from punishment. There is a section of both those communities who would use any angle to further their oppression of women. There are even cases of honour killings for homosexuals.

None of this began in western societies.
    Sure. Does that mean that it should be OK to refuse service to all males from those countries, in case they do it to you?

Although that is not what happened in this case, as darmstadt clarified, that is the argument I was replying to.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Given that some councillors around the various different English flooding cases have come out and said

1) the floods that hit the UK in 2013 were God's punishment for the introduction of gay marriage
    2) homosexuality is a "spiritual disease" and should be healed

I would say that if that is what your supposed intellectual cream say then there is probably a point to make that certain cultures see flooding as perfectly acceptable punishment for homosexuality, but that it can be cured, and as such any person should be wary of people from that culture.

That's fun, to take examples of what one or two people say, pretend that it's representative of the views expressed by a larger group, then extrapolate that even further to imply it's representative of a culture as a whole.
    You may as well quote the loony party and expect us to believe they are representative of all of us as quote a couple of local nutters!

Local councillors are notorious for having fools in their ranks. We have one who is in charge of the local trasnport policy. He has switched off the traffic lights at the key pedestrianised crossing (only buses and taxis use it) in the centre of a busy town. Blind people complained and he said 'Well they should look where they are going!" Concidentally, he is gay. I don't think all gays are feckwits but many councillors are. If you transpose that example into your argument, how would I be homophobic?

Honour killings are predominantly if not exclusively amongst the mid east and far east communities wherever they live now. There are cases of it happening after rape here as well as most countries in the world and often the families make the boys do it so that they are immune from punishment. There is a section of both those communities who would use any angle to further their oppression of women. There are even cases of honour killings for homosexuals.

None of this began in western societies.
    Last edited by tractor; 11 March 2015, 16:31.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Which reminds me of this junk spouted all over twitter by those infuriatingly dense ThoughtWorkers...

https://medium.com/@betsythemuffin/d...e-29ea1546e91d

I hope you guys don't do work drinkies - you're pressuring non-drinkers to drink and risk getting raped.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    be careful with the rape stats. For example, the debunked 1 in 5 stats used and parroted by POTUS for the US regarding sexual assault include 'attempted forced kissing' - i.e. going in for the kiss without asking for permission first.

I wouldn't be sure that they can be compared like-for-like, just like different definitions of 'violent crime'.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    not much cop if victims are unlikely to report due to the shame & blame in their culture.
    Last edited by vetran; 11 March 2015, 16:15.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    By nation: Countries Compared by Crime > Rape rate. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Rape in Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Where have you seen that?
    It was only one: German professor rebuked for rejecting intern over 'India's rape problem' | World news | The Guardian

Leave a comment:

Working...
X