• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New contract - no work but still on site"

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    talk to the client manager, make sure everyone has your mobile number and take a few days off.
    This.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    "keep your head down and keep invoicing"
    How do you invoice for no work? That's the very definition of a BoS "contractor". Extraordinary. Surely there was a schedule of work attached to the contract, deliverables? If you've chased up what needs to be done and there's a significant delay for whatever reason (obviously, I'm not talking about a day or two of set-up time), by all means don't turn up, and don't invoice for the work not done, in keeping with the lack of MoO that you should have.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    Just don't complain you have no work to do. We had one guy do that and you can guess what happened when it came to renewal time!

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Find some small work from home projects and double bill, as a bonus it looks like you're working hard

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    It's quite stressful and confusing
    He's shagged her

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    It's quite stressful and confusing

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Your question boils down to,
    Talking of which, what's happening to the shagamamma story of yours? Updates please

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Your question boils down to, get paid for doing nothing, or don't get paid for doing nothing. The answer seems obvious to me

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    The phrase "disguised employment" springs to mind.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    One gig I turned up and they were surprised to see me. Contat was off for the week and no-one else gave a tulipe. Bit boring but got paid fr it.
    Not picking on you (will leave that to NLUK), but what was on the contract about MOO ?

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    I find it's very rare to go onsite and be able to work straight away. Normally there's at least a couple of days of getting set up with passes, laptop, etc. even when they have known for a couple of weeks that you would be starting.

I would just ask them if they have any documentation about the project you can read to help get up to speed.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    keep your head down

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Pretty normal.

Never ceases to amaze me sometimes how these companies say how important it is, how urgent the requirement is, then when you get there no-one can be arsed. And they dont mind mind paying £100s per day.

One gig I turned up and they were surprised to see me. Contat was off for the week and no-one else gave a tulipe. Bit boring but got paid fr it.
    Am sure it's not a case of no one being arsed. That's just your poor analysis of the situation. Just because you are not the responsibility of the person you are standing in front of it doesn't mean they don't give a tulip. They are just getting in with their work.

Leave a comment:

• curtis
    replied
    I've had this in several contracts I have had. Depending on what the place is like in regards to the people and atmosphere then I would make the most of it for the intial contract as long as it was not for too long then not take any extension if offered if nothing changed.

There is only so long I can sit there and not do anything it can drive me mad and if its the kind of place where you have to look busy which I hate I would be counting the days.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Pretty normal.

Never ceases to amaze me sometimes how these companies say how important it is, how urgent the requirement is, then when you get there no-one can be arsed. And they dont mind mind paying £100s per day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X