• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Swansea - Any nice bits and which parts to avoid"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    which parts to avoid?

Wales

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    Swansea - Any nice bits and which parts to avoid

I wouldn't drive that daily. Severn Bridge isn't so bad if you have a TAG but Newport's 2 lane section has the potential to enrage you. Passing Cardiff can be sticky. There's more two lane stretches around Port Talbot (with new 50mph average speed cameras) and the stretch by Briton Ferry is often inexplicably slow.

It's all good preparation for dealing with civil servants, mind.

Leave a comment:

• worzelGummidge
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I needed it when I was there, via Fujitsu..
    OK thanks.
    Sounds like I may need to be put through clearance again then. Funny that no one has mentioned it.
    Maybe they are thinking of putting me somewhere else first if the gig kicks off.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I needed it when I was there, via Fujitsu..

Leave a comment:

• worzelGummidge
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    SC needed?
    Not sure. No one has mentioned it.
    If required and I have to go through the process again then not fussed either way really.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
    Your right, it's DVLA
    Thanks for the advice. It's on the possible list at the moment.

I live in Bristol so could really drive, but I don't really do travel very well on a daily basis as it's boring, especially when driving.
    SC needed?

Leave a comment:

• worzelGummidge
    replied
    Your right, it's DVLA
    Thanks for the advice. It's on the possible list at the moment.

I live in Bristol so could really drive ( about 1hr 40mins each way), but I don't really do travel very well on a daily basis as it's boring, especially when driving for that length of time.
    Last edited by worzelGummidge; 1 February 2015, 15:13.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Tea cosy Pete popped his clogs last week.

Though the air is a bit fresher now.
    Really!?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Wind Street (notice Pron. Wind as in wind-up) is a Japs-eye opener for sure.

If clientco is DVLA say so - anyone who's done a stint there can help, like contractor parking, canteen, onsite gym (not me that one) even a Post Office and ATM, I loved it there and quite liked Swansea especially Uplands. City centre a bit grim but watch out for Tea-cosy Pete.

DVLA is 'up the hill' in Morriston, another grim area with shiit parking.

Taxi's are expensive compared to Leeds (13 quid Town to DVLA!!) but cheap compared to Farnborough, the dearest taxis on earth. There are cheap DLVA work buses too.

And as someone else said it rains a lot.

And traffic light phases seem to me to be really long - ages on red then ages on green. Red light camera on road in city centre - forgot it's name.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Echo Mimbles and Gower. Plenty to do and see if you are an outdoor type. For the odd days off there is plenty of hill walking being not too far from the Beacons, if you climb there is plenty of scope all along Gower.

Leave a comment:

• worzelGummidge
    replied
    Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    There's flats aplenty to rent down near the marina. These are a short walk away from the city centre.

Places to avoid. If you enjoy your heroin then head to Townhill though there's plenty in other areas too (their names escape me sorry ). As a general rule the better the area the closer it is to the seafront though the marina developments I mentioned in my first paragraph have a slightly ghostly quality to them.

In terms of hotels - the dilemma is finding one near the centre that you can park near for free. High end is Morgans. I can't think of any others except for low end B&B's - there are a plethora of them on Oystermouth Road. We are talking circa £18-20. They normally seem to have vans parked outside. It's a twenty minute jaunt on foot into town though there's a decent pub/Thai restaurant near (hasselhoff was a regular there).

Bring a brolly.

Edit: Mumbles isn't my cup of tea. But if you fancy being miles out of town with not too much around then be my guest. They have half a dozen restaurants and a few pubs though it's quite a hike from one end of Mumbles to the other.

Weekends - it has to be The Gower. Plenty of walking / water sports. Or you can take up flying lessons at Swansea Airport. Or go and watch The Ospreys play rugby, maybe.

Do we , errm , have a sale, then?

Edit2: All men should ensure that at least once in their lives they experience the sights and sounds of Wind Street on a Wednesday night.
    Yes you have a sale. Thanks for the advice.

Leave a comment:

• jjdarg
    replied
    Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post

Weekends - it has to be The Gower. Plenty of walking / water sports. Or you can take up flying lessons at Swansea Airport. Or go and watch The Ospreys play rugby, maybe.

Edit2: All men should ensure that at least once in their lives they experience the sights and sounds of Wind Street on a Wednesday night.
    I can second both of those recommendations! The first one: Wind Street aside, Swansea and the Gower are actually good places for a family staycation, and staying in the Marina area isn't too bad for that purpose.

Wind Street on Wednesday is a fascinating...erm...anthropological study, and a place to imbibe a lot of cheap drink.

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    Swansea - Any nice bits and which parts to avoid

There's flats aplenty to rent down near the marina. These are a short walk away from the city centre.

Places to avoid. If you enjoy your heroin then head to Townhill though there's plenty in other areas too (their names escape me sorry ). As a general rule the better the area the closer it is to the seafront though the marina developments I mentioned in my first paragraph have a slightly ghostly quality to them.

In terms of hotels - the dilemma is finding one near the centre that you can park near for free. High end is Morgans. I can't think of any others except for low end B&B's - there are a plethora of them on Oystermouth Road. We are talking circa £18-20. They normally seem to have vans parked outside. It's a twenty minute jaunt on foot into town though there's a decent pub/Thai restaurant near (hasselhoff was a regular there).

Bring a brolly.

Edit: Mumbles isn't my cup of tea. But if you fancy being miles out of town with not too much around then be my guest. They have half a dozen restaurants and a few pubs though it's quite a hike from one end of Mumbles to the other.

Do we , errm , have a sale, then?

Last edited by I just need to test it; 31 January 2015, 06:44.

Leave a comment:

• Gomez
    replied
    Gower is nice if you fancy a drive to see some quality beaches. Killay and Sketty good areas too but bit further from city centre. Working for a big govt agency by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post

Reference the girl taking the tree for a walk. lol.
    "I didn't take it see, someone planted it on me, honest to god....."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X