• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Diesel drops below €1 in parts of Germany"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Nope as I reference yesterday and in a different link The Price of Fuel - PetrolPrices.com today the tax on unleaded petrol and diesel is identical in the uk,

The difference in diesel's price is due to refinery production issues from memory but I will need to find appropriate articles from 2013 to confirm that...
    That surprises me as I remember they specifically increased duty on Diesel due to some fuss over particulate emissions, it's possible it was less before, but I doubt it.

As to the quantity of diesel vs petrol from a barrel again I'd like to see some decent evidence as I was convinced by a petrochemical engineer that there was a good deal more of the oily stuff than the light.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    The tax on diesel is a bit higher than it is on petrol as some government changed the rules a few years back, think it was the last Liebour lot.

Until that point diesel was cheaper per litre than petrol, something to do with more diesel than petrol per barrel of oil so the refined price is less, that situation is probably still true.

It's no mystery that the tax on fuel is monumental in the UK, but Scooter knew that when he posted the thread.
    Nope as I reference yesterday and in a different link The Price of Fuel - PetrolPrices.com today the tax on unleaded petrol and diesel is identical in the uk,

The difference in diesel's price is due to refinery production issues from memory but I will need to find appropriate articles from 2013 to confirm that...

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    You take that back. One thing I can't stand here is the lack of salted bread / butter or sugary biscuits. Seriously gorgeous yum yums. Flab I've had since I was a child is all but gone now.
    You could start a side-line importing cheap-sugary snacks from the UK to Germany.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    You take that back. One thing I can't stand here is the lack of salted bread / butter or sugary biscuits. Seriously gorgeous yum yums. Flab I've had since I was a child is all but gone now.
    I think you will find you still have it, it's just migrated upwards and is expanding your hat size.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Yes. It's just one of his continuing series of posts entitled "Why Germany is Better than the UK."

He seems to be obsessed by it.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Not true if you win, refine and sell it by yourself without involving the international markets (that's why petrol is so cheap in oil rich countries like Venezuela)
    It's so cheap in Venezuela because they subsidize it from exports revenues, which are now collapsing so they will have to say good bye to 1 cent per liter fuel.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Not true if you win, refine and sell it by yourself without involving the international markets (that's why petrol is so cheap in oil rich countries like Venezuela)
    Well ....

If a country produces oil itself, for example Venezuela, it can sell the oil at the market rate of say $50USD.

It can of course choose to give it away for free or at a reduced rate to someone else, for example Cuba. This just means they forgo income.

The result is that the Venezuelan people gave away an asset below the market rate and therefore either have to have less government spending and higher than necessary taxation or accept a lower level of investment and poorer public services.

Venezuela is a great example in the folly of trying to buck the market. They're completely screwed by their policy of giving away an asset for free. Now the price has collapsed they are no longer in a position both to bankroll Cuba and pay for their own public services.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    All oil based products cost the same throughout the world.

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied
    Yes. It's just one of his continuing series of posts entitled "Why Germany is Better than certain parts of the UK."

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    It's no mystery that the tax on fuel is monumental in the UK, but Scooter knew that when he posted the thread.
    Yes. It's just one of his continuing series of posts entitled "Why Germany is Better than the UK."

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    The tax on diesel is a bit higher than it is on petrol as some government changed the rules a few years back, think it was the last Liebour lot.

Until that point diesel was cheaper per litre than petrol, something to do with more diesel than petrol per barrel of oil so the refined price is less, that situation is probably still true.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    All oil based products cost the same throughout the world. Whether you are in India, China, the UK or Germany. It's an efficient market that sets the price.

The price at the pump varies because of differences in local taxation and policy. For example in some Middle East countries they basically give it away free.

In the UK tax accounts for around 65 - 80% of the price paid for at the pump.

So why does the UK government heavily tax oil? Well that's simple, because it needs to raise revenue to pay for all the services, salaries, pensions and welfare state.

Why does Germany tax less? I don't know. Germany is not known as a low-tax country, so presumably the Germany tax-payer is being clobbered somewhere else.
    Its around 60% in Germany and then you have 19% VAT on top...Diesel though is a lot cheaper than the UK although that might change shortly

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Bullmud. Even petrol isn't that cheap here. Best price for diesel i've seen around here is 111.9. Best petrol was 104.9. No way anyone is selling it 8p cheaper
    No, sorry. I stand corrected. It was 112.9 and not 102.9

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Why does Germany tax less? I don't know. Germany is not known as a low-tax country, so presumably the Germany tax-payer is being clobbered somewhere else.
    This freelancer working in Germany pays less tax than if he were delivering the same services in the UK. Currently just about 33% (that includes my health insurance). The same income in the UK would be well over the 40% bracket.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied

In many countries diesel is taxed lower then petrol to help businesses amongst other reasons. So you might see unleaded being more expensive then in the UK, but Diesel cheaper. However new diesel cars are often taxed higher when purchased.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X