• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Oil at $20

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oil at $20"

Collapse

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Re fracking. In the US the private land owner shares in the windfall. You'd expect that would also be the case in the UK? Wrong..the uk government is going to pass legislation enabling them to steal it from under the landowner. Disgusting
    Yup, hardly shocking though in this country, I guess...

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    They don't have to pass any legislation. In the UK even large landowners who have mineral rights, can't claim ownership of precious metals or hydrocarbons under their land. The latter, such as coal and gas, have been vested in the Crown since the 1930s, when they were in effect nationalised.
    Government confirms plan to let fracking firms drill under homes | Environment | The Guardian

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Unlike you mate, I've never appeared in The Buteman Even if your name was spelled wrong
    It was a stealth operation. You ain't seen me, right?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Re fracking. In the US the private land owner shares in the windfall. You'd expect that would also be the case in the UK? Wrong..the uk government is going to pass legislation enabling them to steal it from under the landowner. Disgusting
    They don't have to pass any legislation. In the UK even large landowners who have mineral rights, can't claim ownership of precious metals or hydrocarbons under their land. The latter, such as coal and gas, have been vested in the Crown since the 1930s, when they were in effect nationalised.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Oh, was that the famous front page on The Buteman with a picture of you looking disappointed and the headline Marquis Spits not Swallows?
    Unlike you mate, I've never appeared in The Buteman Even if your name was spelled wrong

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Cardiff. His holiday home apparently, where he spent a whole 3 weeks per year.
    There's a number of places named after him/them around cardiff. If you go to the end of Bute St you arrive at Mount Stuart Sq.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    His 'main' residence is only a couple of miles from me. The current marquis spends about three weeks there a year too. House and grounds is about the size of a small city centre. Did manage to make him spit a drink once with a very poor motor racing gag
    Oh, was that the famous front page on The Buteman with a picture of you looking disappointed and the headline Marquis Spits not Swallows?

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    His 'main' residence is only a couple of miles from me. The current marquis spends about three weeks there a year too. House and grounds is about the size of a small city centre. Did manage to make him spit a drink once with a very poor motor racing gag

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Last week, I was on about the dramatic fall in the oil price, down towards 50

I was talking about the various implications and the possible reasons. But I don't have a clue.

Now it looks like oil is on its way towards 20, and I am starting to get a clue.

It's starting to look like it's a deliberate attempt to wipe out the frakking industry. esp in the USA.
    (apologies to those who saw this straight away)

In my Opinion - If a monopoly wants to wipe out the fledgling competition, we need to smack the monopoly, not the new players
    EO, article here:
    Falling Oil Price slows US Fracking

written by Steve Austin. I wondered what he was doing these days. I wonder if his bionic arm lets him type really quickly?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Where ? Mount Stuart ??

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Those who have the time and the brain power can read this (LONG!!):
    http://www.atomcapital.co.uk/wp-cont...354AR_1114.pdf

You might not agree but what John Butler says makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Funny you should mention him, I was at his (old) house the other day. Nice place it is too. Lucky barsteward.
    Where ? Mount Stuart ??

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    It's probably a lot to do with ensuring ISIS cannot distribute oil for profit rather than any geopolitics between Saudi Arabia & Iran.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Could you talk me through that? I am not necessarily doubting you I am just curious as to how it would work.
    Which one? The currency part or the oil part?

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    The US should be very careful at playing this game because China and Russia can, in the event of SHTF, stop using the Dollar for any commodity transaction and create a currency tied to gold (which they have in abundance) and put the US out of business.
    Could you talk me through that? I am not necessarily doubting you I am just curious as to how it would work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X