• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "People who put letters after their name in their Email Sig <POLL>"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    FTFY.
    Fair argument.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    6 years at evil medical school my boy.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    You think thats bad, Germans don't do that but put the word Doctor in front of their names if they have a doctorate in something or other. Some even have 'Professor Doctor Doctor' if they have qualified in more than one subject, which is just downright idiotic and I make a point of just calling them plain old 'Herr'
    Someone my dad worked with insisted at all times on being called "Herr Doktor Schmidt". Before one client meeting, he said to his assistant "for zis meeting you can call me Otto".

So the assistant referred to him as "Herr Doktor Otto Schmidt" every time.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    The BSCs make me laugh. Some people must live in a weird other plane where that seems worth mentioning.
    Probably means a lot to them, speaking as someone who's highest qualification is a GCSE

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    You should see the sigs in this tuliphole.

My emails don't have one, which is probably a hanging offence.

Fingers & claws crossed.
    I used to work in the Met Office, so it was funny seeing Prof Sir Whatdoyoumacallit KBE, PhD, CEng, MSc, BSc, FRMetS, DL send an email and Joe Bloggs MCSA reply

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    You should see the sigs in this tuliphole.

in Edumakayshun those letters are all important so the more of them you have the better.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Is it Mrs Dr Surname or just Dr Surname?
    Frau Dr Surname.

Frau is a tricky one, 'cos it's the form of address you use for all wimmin, not just married ones.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    For work related stuff I do use MRICS but that is relevant, never use it on personal email as that seems a bit pretentious.

And yes I am still bloody chuffed I earned it
    Yes because in your field it counts.

I have a mate who has a string of pharmaceutical qualifications on his business card. It establishes credibility to those who know what that little lot means.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    The BSCs make me laugh. Some people must live in a weird other plane where that seems worth mentioning.
    It's quite amusing when a salesman turns up proudly sporting BSc on his business card.

You look around the table and see 3 folks with a PhD, half a dozen with an MSc or MA, the rest plain old BSc or BA and just smile.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Another one is a doctor's wife using Doctor in her name.

Now she might be a doctor in her own right but you don't actually know without a bit of digging.
    Is it Mrs Dr Surname or just Dr Surname?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    You think thats bad, Germans don't do that but put the word Doctor in front of their names if they have a doctorate in something or other. Some even have 'Professor Doctor Doctor' if they have qualified in more than one subject, which is just downright idiotic and I make a point of just calling them plain old 'Herr'
    Another one is a doctor's wife using Doctor in her name.

Now she might be a doctor in her own right but you don't actually know without a bit of digging.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Worked with many that use their letters in signatures etc but don't act like it's important. I did have one BA resource who insisted that his Dr title be used all the time, to everyone but him it was just a source of piss taking.

Halo in your case it's a badge that you're officially competent (and responsible) in the true meaning of "professional" that's disappeared over years of abuse.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    For work related stuff I do use MRICS but that is relevant, never use it on personal email as that seems a bit pretentious.

And yes I am still bloody chuffed I earned it

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    So I should sign as Whorty ACMA, MBA, BSc (Hons), Prince 2, FGASA, Cert Humanities ? A bit much

The one I'm most proud of is FGASA .... has nothing to do with my job in IT, but it does mean I can track lions and elephant in the wilds of Africa

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I have signatures turned off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X