• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Work, Life Balance...."

Collapse

• Andyw
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    she is - with a huuuge rack ...

Makes now difference ! mine was too ! useless cow !

Leave a comment:

• kramer
    replied
    are you lookin forward to a single life of hookers and strip clubs?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    she is - with a huuuge rack ...

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Andyw
    I see your method here but it wont fool the judge. I bet her lawyer has mate you out to be an ogre and already the judge will hate your guts without even meeting you. He will see through your plan and even though you have reduced the savings, (and increasing your income tax burden) he will be made aware of your earnings potential and set a figure based on that. The best thing is to agree with whatever the kurb crawler says and then fiddle it through the CSA as they have the power to overturn court decisions. Dont throw too much money at lawyers though as it's dead money and wont make any diff to the outcome.
    It might be best if your lawyer were female.

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    Thats not the advice I've been given - but then, I'm not in court til next month. As my ex wants a chunk of the cash in the business, I've been working part time to reduce it, and , to be fair, I've been pretty successful in doing that. Part time work has also suited my work-life balance, which is where this thread started.

In terms of turnover, the advice I've been give is that, as turnover is not guaranteed (as is the case with inheritance for example), it cannot be taken into account.

Trouble with the courts of course, is it all depends on the mood of the judge. Time will tell...

I see your method here but it wont fool the judge. I bet her lawyer has mate you out to be an ogre and already the judge will hate your guts without even meeting you. He will see through your plan and even though you have reduced the savings, (and increasing your income tax burden) he will be made aware of your earnings potential and set a figure based on that. The best thing is to agree with whatever the kurb crawler says and then fiddle it through the CSA as they have the power to overturn court decisions. Dont throw too much money at lawyers though as it's dead money and wont make any diff to the outcome.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    A divorce lawyer and judge will take into account the ltd total turnover (which is a joke) and assess your payments on that, whereas the CSA will base it on paye and dividends.

Been there done that.
    Thats not the advice I've been given - but then, I'm not in court til next month. As my ex wants a chunk of the cash in the business, I've been working part time to reduce it, and , to be fair, I've been pretty successful in doing that. Part time work has also suited my work-life balance, which is where this thread started.

In terms of turnover, the advice I've been give is that, as turnover is not guaranteed (as is the case with inheritance for example), it cannot be taken into account.

Trouble with the courts of course, is it all depends on the mood of the judge. Time will tell...

Last edited by ratewhore; 14 September 2006, 10:59. Reason: typo - i know how anal some people are here

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN
    RateHo - if you have a Ltd Co and retain most of the funds in the Co until you pay yourself a big dividend, will that still count towards CSA & divorce payments?

A divorce lawyer and judge will take into account the ltd total turnover (which is a joke) and assess your payments on that, whereas the CSA will base it on paye and dividends.

Been there done that.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    RateHo - if you have a Ltd Co and retain most of the funds in the Co until you pay yourself a big dividend, will that still count towards CSA & divorce payments?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    aye

Leave a comment:

• kramer
    replied
    did you say you were in the middle of a divorce?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    oooer ! CSA bills ?
    Another good reason not to maximise turnover

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    Nope, need to stay in the UK as thats where the kids are (with their mum)...

oooer ! CSA bills ?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Nope, need to stay in the UK as thats where the kids are (with their mum)...

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    Yes and no. No mortgage certainly, but then, I rent Mid 30's on good contract where I've made a lifestyle choice rather than a choice to cane it and maximise turnover by working every day god sends...

Like I say, it's whatever you want it to be.

Nice one ! are you intending to move out of the UK ?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Yes and no. No mortgage certainly, but then, I rent Mid 30's on good contract where I've made a lifestyle choice rather than a choice to cane it and maximise turnover by working every day god sends...

Like I say, it's whatever you want it to be.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X