• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Petrol price £0.80 per litre?"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    I buy 99 RON from Tesco, which is of course two better than the 97 super unleaded you get elsewhere. And two is a lot.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    I generally only buy from actual Petrol Stations rather than supermarkets and the only thing I've noticed is that I get less miles if I fill up at a supermarket and this is quite a consistent factor.

Leave a comment:

• DannyF1966
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Stuff about additives
    I've been using supermarket fuel for as long as I can remember (for about 80% of my fillups anyway) for both diesel and petrol cars, and never noticed any long-term damage from either.

I kept my last petrol car for 7 years and did 80K miles in it, and I've had my current diesel for 6 years and done 70K miles in it. Never once has anyone advised me not to use supermarket fuel, and never once have I found any negative side-effect of using supermarket fuel, so I'm going to carry on filling up when I get the weekly shop.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    <anything>
    Delusional

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    It's to do with additives, which are mixed in when the fuel is delivered to the filling station.

Basically, the tanker driver fills the tanker at the depot and goes off to deliver. She may have either supermarket or non-supermarket places to deliver to. For each specific place she delivers, she puts an associated smart card into the tanker's delivery mechanism and starts it going. That smart card determines which additives (detergents and such) are mixed into the fuel in which quantities as it's pumped out.

And that's the only difference between the fuel at the supermarket and the fuel at the "proper" filling station up the road.
    Paranoid.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Diesel was around £1.27 in Halifax on Monday and £1.21 in Cardiff, both at supermarkets.

On the fuel quality question, I thought that they meet certain BSI standards and apart maybe from how good the filters are to avoid any crap getting through the pumps it was all much the same stuff if of the particular grade.

The supermarkets getting so much in the way of fuel sales business and them swapping out the kit on the forecourt to stay pretty looking probably indicates that their fuel is as "good" as the equivalent sold at BP/Esso/Shell garages etc.
    It's to do with additives, which are mixed in when the fuel is delivered to the filling station.

Basically, the tanker driver fills the tanker at the depot and goes off to deliver. She may have either supermarket or non-supermarket places to deliver to. For each specific place she delivers, she puts an associated smart card into the tanker's delivery mechanism and starts it going. That smart card determines which additives (detergents and such) are mixed into the fuel in which quantities as it's pumped out.

And that's the only difference between the fuel at the supermarket and the fuel at the "proper" filling station up the road.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Diesel was around £1.27 in Halifax on Monday and £1.21 in Cardiff, both at supermarkets.

On the fuel quality question, I thought that they meet certain BSI standards and apart maybe from how good the filters are to avoid any crap getting through the pumps it was all much the same stuff if of the particular grade.

The supermarkets getting so much in the way of fuel sales business and them swapping out the kit on the forecourt to stay pretty looking probably indicates that their fuel is as "good" as the equivalent sold at BP/Esso/Shell garages etc.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    1.19 & 12(something) here in the southeast.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by JRCT View Post
    I haven't touched supermarket fuel for about 4 years. Heard too many horror stories from lots of people in various parts of the motor trade, It's cheap for a reason. Yuk!
    I suspect they're similar to the tales you hear from people who work in sausage factories. Many years ago I worked lunch shifts for a while in a pub near a sausage factory. My first week, a couple of regulars from there (a shift ended at lunchtime) gave me all the guff about "you wouldn't believe it, you'd never eat a sausage again, blah blah". Then on Friday they were both there with big freezer packs of sausages bought from the company shop, boasting about how many meals they'd get out of them for so little money.

When I asked them how come, if the things that went on there were so dreadful, they were still willing to feed the resulting sausages to their children, they shut up

FWIW, my Orion has had supermarket fuel for all but about five tankfuls over the last 13 years and 80,000 miles (it's done about 186,000 in total), and it still works OK. So it's probably not a major issue.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Next fiscal year Scotland will get more money from the Barnet formula differential than the UK will get from oil.

No wonder Alex is looking sad...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    With the Tesco 20p per litre saving, I filled up for less than £1 a litre a couple of days ago.
    Ditto. 98.9p

I needed to go and buy something at Argos so off I popped to Tesco to buy £500 in Argos vouchers. Got 1500 Tesco Points worth £60 back because of 150 points per £50 gift card. Got 750 Avios. Got 20p off a litre saved £10.
    Then to Argos, split the purchase into £100 first, got a £10'off voucher, then spent the other £400 and got back 4 x £10 vouchers.

Think outside the box. :-)

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    It's almost like they didn't think it through at all, isn't it?
    He did think it through. He thought "Better get this vote in the bag before the price collapses and ruins the Scottish economy".

Wonder what the SNP would be cutting first? Guess the "Oil Fund" would be first to go, after all it wouldn't be missed.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Salmond promised oil would be $110 dollars a barrel and you are complaining that it is heading towards $60.

You are moaning that people are making money from oil yet complain that you are not allowed to make more money from oil.

The fevered mind of the nationalist.
    It's almost like they didn't think it through at all, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Salmond promised oil would be $110 dollars a barrel and you are complaining that it is heading towards $60.

You are moaning that people are making money from oil yet complain that you are not allowed to make more money from oil.

The fevered mind of the nationalist.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    So what have we concluded from today's discussion?
    That Kim Kardashian's backside is huge and has so much oil on it that America will soon invade it and Oil prices will fall further ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X