• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permie or contractor, that is the question!"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    "£60k does not sound that much, though to be fair that is a lot more than I earned when I was a permie " - ATW

This should read

"£6k does not sound that much, though to be fair that is a lot more than I earned when I was a permie "

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Andyw
    I know...just for a change ...Im going to slag someone off

sasguru.
    Good idea. How's your bedsit nowadays Andyw? Cleaned up all the used Kleenex yet?

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    I know...just for a change ...Im going to slag someone off

sasguru.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Have you ever been a contractor, Francko, or is this empty theorising a.k.a. Atw?
    3 years and a half (not in the good times unfortunately).

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    I do know as I know there are also other expenses like accountants and administration. Also delays in the payments, sometimes you have to chase up the agents, sometimes you have to wait the next month for the payment to reach your bank account. Travel expenses, sure, but not everybody is willing to take up contracts everywhere and be able to live 5 days a week away from home. In all, I wouldn't consider this as a perk but part of a normal business workflow. That's why I do believe that the gross income from a contract should be substantially more than what you get from a permanent job. Whether you can maximise this income by leveraging taxes instruments or not should not be taken into consideration when comparing the incomes. It's an extra reward for your business acumen, it should not be considered part of the package.
    Have you ever been a contractor, Francko, or is this empty theorising a.k.a. Atw?

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Franco, you do realise that a contractor operating a limited outside of IR35 (which is not that difficult with a small amount of effort) on £90K will not be taking home what a permie takes home on a £90K salary.

And don't forget all the travel expenses are not from taxed income either.

HTH
    I do know as I know there are also other expenses like accountants and administration. Also delays in the payments, sometimes you have to chase up the agents, sometimes you have to wait the next month for the payment to reach your bank account. Travel expenses, sure, but not everybody is willing to take up contracts everywhere and be able to live 5 days a week away from home. In all, I wouldn't consider this as a perk but part of a normal business workflow. That's why I do believe that the gross income from a contract should be substantially more than what you get from a permanent job. Whether you can maximise this income by leveraging taxes instruments or not should not be taken into consideration when comparing the incomes. It's an extra reward for your business acumen, it should not be considered part of the package.

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    "£60K (that means take home £30K)"

More like 40k.

http://www.listentotaxman.com/index.php

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    9k - you probably work 10 months including 1 months for holiday and 1 month on average every year to find the next contract would make 90k gross a year on average. 60k +20k bonus +10k benefits. Et voila'. The equation is solved (at least on a financial ground).
    Franco, you do realise that a contractor operating a limited outside of IR35 (which is not that difficult with a small amount of effort) on £90K will not be taking home what a permie takes home on a £90K salary.

And don't forget all the travel expenses are not from taxed income either.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_
    Yes. Permie is best.

Leave the contracts to the professionals and business men I say.
    Not to the ones who have the same income as a permie.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Yes. Permie is best.

Leave the contracts to the professionals and business men I say.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_
    £60K (that means take home £30K)
    Pension means nothing unless you are in it a long time and it's final salary based.
    BUPA cost about £500 pa. Whoopeee
    Company Skoda, well if that's something to boast about, god knows what you were earning as a contractor.

Well done, looks like you've hit the big time.

Now, where did I put my last monthly invoice for £9K......
    9k - you probably work 10 months including 1 months for holiday and 1 month on average every year to find the next contract would make 90k gross a year on average. 60k +20k bonus +10k benefits. Et voila'. The equation is solved (at least on a financial ground).

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    The great thing about contracting is taking 3 months off to tour interesting countries and meet new people.

The only way you can do that as a permie is in the army and even then you have to kill them.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Who the hell wants to work as a permie....tulip wages....diversity courses, office politics, 'You work hard all year and the bonuses will be great' lies
    Ah, the memories....

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Who the hell wants to work as a permie....tulip wages....diversity courses, office politics, 'You work hard all year and the bonuses will be great' lies
    So why are you working as a permie again Andyw ???

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X