• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Being as people were bored and someone asked for a puzzle...."

Collapse

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    You can assume that the goat is a particle.
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Goat curry anyone?

There won't be enough to go round if it's a particle

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Goat curry anyone?

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post

The 4 relevant areas are 2 segments with a chord of length r2 (on circle1). An isoceles triangle with sides of r2 and an angle unknown. The final piece being a chord with length the base of the isoceles triangle (on circle2).
    I think there are just two areas? If you draw a straight line between where the goat's arc of nibbling intersects with the edge of the garden (a chord) you will have two segments.

I can't remember the formula for the area of a segment, but you can be pretty sure it involves pi and the radius, the radius of the garden is fixed, and the radius of the goat's arc of nibbling is what we are trying to find.

If only I still smoked I could draw it on the back of a fag packet (c:

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Does this involve that funny old calculus stuff?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Oh, inside edge! Didn't read it properly, thought it looked too easy.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Yes, that is the question. Or is it?

Tether needs to be > radius of the field otherwise clearly it would reach less than half the field area. It needs to be < √2 or clearly the goat would reach more than half the field. So somewhere between 1.0 and 1.4ish.

However the maths seems so impossibly difficult that it must be a trick question. Is the tether fixed to a single point? I'm not sure that was stated. Anyway, off to google now...
    Yes. I was looking at the ratio the wrong way round.

Root 2 looks like it might have been the right answer (it isn't).

The 4 relevant areas are 2 segments with a chord of length r2 (on circle1). An isoceles triangle with sides of r2 and an angle unknown. The final piece being a chord with length the base of the isoceles triangle (on circle2).

It will involve using a cosine and an arc sine.

Maybe I should have listened a bit more in my geometry and trig all those years ago when I was about 13.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    So it is, and there is a formula for overlapping circles, that I CBA to look up but which involves a square root and at least one cosine. The intersecting arcs define an area consisting of two segments the triangular height of which can be derived from the radiuses.

At this point I hand over Bob to code up the solution.
    He got back to me and said that the answer was "Helium" but when I tried running the program myself it threw an exception.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    So, circle 1 in the field.

Given the mythical goat is tether at the inside edge then the length of the tether defines another circle.

However it is bounded by the first circle, so defines an arc.

So the question is

"What is radius of a circle which is centered on the edge of another circle where the overlapping arc is equal to half the entire area of the overlapped circle"

At least I think that is the question.
    So it is, and there is a formula for overlapping circles, that I CBA to look up but which involves a square root and at least one cosine. The intersecting arcs define an area consisting of two segments the triangular height of which can be derived from the radiuses.

At this point I hand over Bob to code up the solution.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
    Depends. Which part of the goat is attached to the inflexible chain, how big is the goat, how long is its neck etc. If it's a very small field that I supposed it's feasible.
    You can assume that the goat is a particle.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    The answer is to give the goat a tether that will allow it to reach the far side of the circle.
    i.e. = D

This obviously means that the goat can cover the whole field and therefore eat twice the amount specified in the opening question.

The resolution is to introduce a second goat on the other side with a tether that = D.

Each goat will scoff half the grass

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied

Given the mythical goat is tether at the inside edge then the length of the tether defines another circle.

So the question is

"What is radius of a circle which is centered on the edge of another circle where the overlapping arc is equal to half the entire area of the overlapped circle"

Yes, that is the question. Or is it?

Tether needs to be > radius of the field otherwise clearly it would reach less than half the field area. It needs to be < √2 or clearly the goat would reach more than half the field. So somewhere between 1.0 and 1.4ish.

However the maths seems so impossibly difficult that it must be a trick question. Is the tether fixed to a single point? I'm not sure that was stated. Anyway, off to google now...

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    0.7071 of radius?
    If it was centred so the goat's circle was entirely within the field.

But it's centred in the edge of the field so you are looking at the area of overlap of the two circles.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    That was my initial thought. But having drawn it I couldn't be arrised to try and figure it out for sure.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    0.7071 of radius?

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied

So the question is

Leave a comment:

Working...
X