• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Did anyone ever believe QE would be reversed?"

Collapse

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by NickyBoy View Post
    You realise that's a reset button that would cause more short term damage than ed balls and Ebola combined. Right?

Long term - probably the right thing to do.
    I'd say reveal rather than cause damage. The booms are where much of the damage occurs, the busts expose it. The elite is desperate to halt the deflation bogeyman, however, so it will remain business as usual for central banks, only with some rebranding, e.g. Operation Twist.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I love gold. All my life, I have been in love with its color, its brilliance, its divine heaviness.
    Gold vaults in UK are not safe (forgive the pun). I believe the best place if you really have tons of gold is to bury it in the garden. This won't work with silver though.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    If it's that useful why does the majority of it sit in vaults?

Iron ore is the most useful by the way.
    I love gold. All my life, I have been in love with its color, its brilliance, its divine heaviness.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I'm no expert on London's geography, but I'm fairly sure the Square Mile is actually quite a long way from Canary Wharf
    So where is it? I need to recalibrate my drones!

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    I apologize for using British humour!

E14 = Canary Wharf, also known as the London's Square Mile, most of the (foreign based) elite parasite has inflated property over there. Fracking would deflate the area:
    Property prices soar in London's Square Mile - Telegraph
    I'm no expert on London's geography, but I'm fairly sure the Square Mile is actually quite a long way from Canary Wharf

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Not really - A lot of those cockneys swear too much as it is without encouraging even more effing and blinding in the East End!
    I apologize for using British humour!

E14 = Canary Wharf, also known as the London's Square Mile, most of the (foreign based) elite parasite has inflated property over there. Fracking would deflate the area:
    Property prices soar in London's Square Mile - Telegraph

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Another sensible solution would be allowing fracking in E14.
    Not really - A lot of those cockneys swear too much as it is without encouraging even more effing and blinding in the East End!

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Iceland ( a bigger economy than Scotland) let the biggest bank fail in 2009, they had 18 months of pain and then the economy started growing again for 3 years. Then in the last 2 years they reverted to old fashioned boom-bust model and now they're back tits up.

A controlled and partial default would be only a reset button for some of the parasite elite who doesn't really contribute to the economy anyway.

Another sensible solution would be allowing fracking in E14.

Leave a comment:

• NickyBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Early 1920s Germany - did hyper inflation do any real harm?

There was no recession. WW2 was caused by Treaty of Versailles and trying to keep war reparations up.

Not sure sure about Ebola wiping out 70% of people though. That would take decades or centuries to recover from.
    Between your inability to spot the Ebola/Ed-Balls comment as a continuation of a running joke in this thread and your wild jumping to some random event in Germany that doesn't even begin to capture the magnitude of the fallout of 10 of the largest banks suddenly stopping operating, I don't think there is a single redeemable feature of your post.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NickyBoy View Post
    You realise that's a reset button that would cause more short term damage than ed balls and Ebola combined. Right?

Early 1920s Germany - did hyper inflation do any real harm?

There was no recession. WW2 was caused by Treaty of Versailles and trying to keep war reparations up.

Not sure sure about Ebola wiping out 70% of people though. That would take decades or centuries to recover from.

Leave a comment:

• NickyBoy
    replied
    There's no need for any reset button. All it takes is to be honest and declare the 10 biggest banks technically insolvent.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    There's no need for any reset button. All it takes is to be honest and declare the 10 biggest banks technically insolvent.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Buy shares.
    The FTSE100 is now at the same level it was 16 years ago. Despite the blip it had earlier this week, that baby is only going to go up in the medium term.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Uses of Gold in Industry, Medicine, Computers, Electronics, Jewelry

Of all the minerals mined from the Earth, none is more useful than gold.

HTH
    If it's that useful why does the majority of it sit in vaults?

Iron ore is the most useful by the way.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Gold is as much use as bitcoins, both are exhaustible and not necessary for life.
    Uses of Gold in Industry, Medicine, Computers, Electronics, Jewelry

Of all the minerals mined from the Earth, none is more useful than gold.

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X