• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pay squeeze worst since Victorian age, study finds"

Collapse

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    So presumably using that argument, all IT contractors in public sector work are public servants as ultimately the public pays their salaries? I bet they don't go on strike or is that all covered by IR35
    NHS & tube workers, fire brigade, etc all work for monopolistic employers - everyone pays for those services whether they want to or not, and only a relatively very few who don't mind paying twice have a choice to use private services instead. Consequently the market for alternatives is very small, and those public workers have us by the balls.
    Public sector contractors are private companies working on publicly funded jobs - they don't have the same hold beacuse the IT industry is much larger than the public sector. Tube drivers though can't just be replaced at the drop of a hat like IT workers - because there are no other tube drivers.
    I.e. the forces that limit the market for public services also limit the market for the labour to fulfil those services.

I think it's appalling - if you don't like you job then find another. Don't hold your patrons to ransom, risking their health in the process.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    we aren't THAT hungry!
    You may have a point there, how about feeding the Soylent to pigs? Bacon is tricky to resist.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Only as a stockpile of raw materials.

Soylent Green, it's made from people agents.
    we aren't THAT hungry!

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    The world will always need agents
    Only as a stockpile of raw materials.

Soylent Green, it's made from people agents.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    The world will always need agents

Leave a comment:

• NickyBoy
    replied
    The number of workers needed is shrinking at the same time as our population is growing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

The old adage of 'technology will create new jobs to replace the old' is being proven false.This constriction of worker wages is a natural side effect of that, because the value of the average worker is dropping as more people are competing for the continually shrinking array of jobs.

Our economic system needs to change at a fundamental level, or collapse. A capitalistic growth model cannot continue past the point when no-one is needed to produce the goods/services, because then no-one has money to buy the goods/services.

Involuntary lifetime unemployment for the majority of the population is an inevitable by-product of advancing technology. The sooner people come to terms with that, the better.
    Last edited by NickyBoy; 13 October 2014, 14:57.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    What's that animal that eats its own children for its own benefit?
    pretty sure polar bears do that

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    It's going to happen, anyway.
    What's that animal that eats its own children for its own benefit?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Maybe we are entering a new victorian age. The UK will rule two thirds of the globe. An age of progress. And the vast majority live in poverty.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    It's going to happen, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    What do you expect when you have a massive welfare state with a massive promise to payout pensions regardless if the pot is empty? Bad idea that state pensions. Let people save for them themselves. If they don't to save, let them live in poverty. Shame that would hurt their polling, so we all know it will never happen.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Isn't the DLR driverless still? It was when I last went on it sometime back in the late 80's which makes it more than 25 years ago...
    I think the Vancouver system was built in 86? and is much larger than the DLR, especially now they've put is some long extensions.

But beware the ticket inspectors that hang about on the platform and at the last moment jump on the train. I've seem some quite embarrassing moments.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    About time. Vancouver has had driverless trains for 25 years.
    Isn't the DLR driverless still? It was when I last went on it sometime back in the late 80's which makes it more than 25 years ago...

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Slightly off topic, but nice to see the latest tube trains are capable of driverless operation. Way to go, replace them all by driverless trains then turn the system on and tell all those overpaid tube drivers to f* off and find a job that has some point to it.

People on the left or right are just as bad, one side rails at overpaid bankers or directors of big businesses, the other rails at benefit scroungers. In my view we should target those at every level whose income far exceeds what they actually contribute, the jobless who make no effort to find employment, the overpaid members of powerful unions, the bosses whose bonuses are not justified by company performance, whatever.
    About time. Vancouver has had driverless trains for 25 years.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Ja.

Tomorrow belongs to me us.
    Oy vey, deja vu! I was listening to that today and checked out who wrote the original, didn't realise its from Cabaret (although SAHB version is better)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X