• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Look what I saw over Leeds tonight!"

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    Thought it actually 17 cos it went wrong slightly all the way!

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    11 Vickers aircraft to super extend from Ascension to Stanley air to air refuelling for the Vulcan. Radio silence. No GPS, no surface recovery. Quite possibly the maddest and bravest bombing mission ever.

http://www.sffaudio.com/images12/Bla...eVulcan565.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...black.buck.svg

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Always reminds me of what Port Stanley airfield and Mr Spock's mum have in common.
    Behave please

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    "Monty Python couldn't have done it any better."

The longest bombing raid in history... if they succeed.

XM607 Falklands' Most Daring Raid
    Last edited by Contreras; 3 July 2015, 19:53.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied

The Last of the Vulcans Retires After 55 Years of Service

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    and on current plans B-52s will be in service until about 2050, almost a century after they were first rolled out.

That must be a record for military equipment in modern times - HMS Victory was a flash in the pan by comparison, only about 60 years in service (1765 to 1825).

Mind you, the Brown Bess musket was in service from 1722 until 1838.
    Hope so B-52 shot drink recipes

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    And I think, the only plane to successfully bomb and destroy New York under the noses of the US defences. War games of course, I read it in Vulcan 607, about Operation Black Buck, great plane, great book, great story....

Totally outclassed the lumbering B-52's which are still in service I think.....
    and on current plans B-52s will be in service until about 2050, almost a century after they were first rolled out.

That must be a record for military equipment in modern times - HMS Victory was a flash in the pan by comparison, only about 60 years in service (1765 to 1825).

Mind you, the Brown Bess musket was in service from 1722 until 1838.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yry2LnaNeXc

Off to drop 'a bucket of instant sunshine' on ISIS?

If only...
    Last edited by Flashman; 24 September 2014, 15:06.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Showed my pic to some Yanks last night online, they said it was a US drone. Fecking thick aren't they?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    And I thought it was off to start WW3.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    We've got one in Sunderland at the Airport Museum.
    Always remember seeing one on fire in the sky in the early 70's over Durham. It crashed at Wingate IIRC.

Just googled it and I did RC

http://northeasthistorytour.blogspot...r-wingate.html
    Last edited by Sausage Surprise; 22 September 2014, 13:23.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    One of the most beautiful planes ever.
    Oh yes. Saw it last year at CarFest North, what a sound.

qh

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    They also caused quite a few nasty ends for the groundcrew, mainly people getting stuck in the closing bomb bay doors. There was little H&S in the RAF back in those days.

My fave story story is how they used to 'hide' a pair of Bucs under the wings, when on exercise at Nellis, so just one big blob would appear on the radar; surprised the intercepting fighters a little!

All sorts of trickery used to go on whilst on flying exercises with the yanks. Back in the 90s I was on F3s (groundcrew) on exercise in Alaska. The scenario was that our F3s were to attack Tornado GR1s which were protected by yank F18s. The yanks had trouble though discriminatiing GR1s against F3s; so they decided if it had external fuel tanks fitted it was a GR1 as that was the standard config. Three days before the end of the exercise we were all orded to help the armourers fit external tanks to our F3s. To that end they breezed through the yank defences and 'shot' down the bomber package. The yanks didn't see the funny side though and accused us of cheating!
    We have a couple of pilots and Navs at current client Co as sme's they're good eggs. Lots of funny dits to liven their presentations!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Yep, tested NORAD.

The story goes that the Yanks rang up and said "When are you sending your Vulcan?" We responded with "It's just arrived back home, you're dead!"
    They also caused quite a few nasty ends for the groundcrew, mainly people getting stuck in the closing bomb bay doors. There was little H&S in the RAF back in those days.

My fave story story is how they used to 'hide' a pair of Bucs under the wings, when on exercise at Nellis, so just one big blob would appear on the radar; surprised the intercepting fighters a little!

All sorts of trickery used to go on whilst on flying exercises with the yanks. Back in the 90s I was on F3s (groundcrew) on exercise in Alaska. The scenario was that our F3s were to attack Tornado GR1s which were protected by yank F18s. The yanks had trouble though discriminatiing GR1s against F3s; so they decided if it had external fuel tanks fitted it was a GR1 as that was the standard config. Three days before the end of the exercise we were all orded to help the armourers fit external tanks to our F3s. To that end they breezed through the yank defences and 'shot' down the bomber package. The yanks didn't see the funny side though and accused us of cheating!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X