• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Camera suggestion

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Camera suggestion"

Collapse

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    It was quite spectacular - camera up on edge of cupboard next to my chair. Mug of tea on arm of chair. Was looking for a pen, knocked camera, and it landed with a clean plop directly in the mug of tea. Barely a drop spilt. Never bothered replacing it as haven't needed a camera up till now.

Have gone with Smallest Compact Digital Camera | Pink, White & Black | DSC-WX350 | Sony UK + spare battery.
    lol I followed your link to have a look at the spec and now every freakin web page wants to sell me a pink one haha.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    This ticked all the boxes for me:
    Panasonic TZ60/ZS40 review | Compact cameras Reviews | TechRadar

Compact, great lens, great zoom and some really smart photo modes to compensate for backlit scenes, night shots and all sorts.

I nearly got this one, has a great "selfie" flip screen. Kinda wish I had now because apart from better zoom, the one I got just offers additional complexity and modes (when not in fully auto mode)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ55EB-K Compact Digital Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ30, couple of years old now, not sure what the up to date version is, had a TZ10 before that.

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    Galaxy Camera 2 + spare battery
    Decent snapper, and you can play Angry Birds etc. between snaps......

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    This ticked all the boxes for me:
    Panasonic TZ60/ZS40 review | Compact cameras Reviews | TechRadar

Compact, great lens, great zoom and some really smart photo modes to compensate for backlit scenes, night shots and all sorts.

I nearly got this one, has a great "selfie" flip screen. Kinda wish I had now because apart from better zoom, the one I got just offers additional complexity and modes (when not in fully auto mode)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ55EB-K Compact Digital Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I wish you hadn't posted that - Seriously tempted to buy one myself now!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I imagined you spilling tea on the camera rather than dropping the camera in the tea.

Flip me, your teacup must be the size of a chamberpot

I'd just buy the most expensive one of the compact cameras reviewed this year by Which magazine

It was quite spectacular - camera up on edge of cupboard next to my chair. Mug of tea on arm of chair. Was looking for a pen, knocked camera, and it landed with a clean plop directly in the mug of tea. Barely a drop spilt. Never bothered replacing it as haven't needed a camera up till now.

Have gone with Smallest Compact Digital Camera | Pink, White & Black | DSC-WX350 | Sony UK + spare battery.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    You're a woman?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    The camera that dropped in my tea was an ixus - was a nice camera. (Was a few years ago).
    I imagined you spilling tea on the camera rather than dropping the camera in the tea.

Flip me, your teacup must be the size of a chamberpot

I'd just buy the most expensive one of the compact cameras reviewed this year by Which magazine

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Alias View Post
    Didn't you have this one?
    That one was a pressie for Mr ms. I really want a stills camera rather than video. I've never in my life managed to shoot a video that was worth watching back.

Never did get my extra cashback though!

Leave a comment:

• Alias
    replied
    Didn't you have this one?

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

x100 is good

But the best pics I've ever taken were with an Olympus point and shoot, Oly lenses are great and you can get some good medium zooms on them.

Number of shots you can get on a card is determined by the resolution you shoot at so there's no hard and fast answer.

Olympus 820 Uses 4 aa.

Plenty of other models though.
    Last edited by tractor; 11 September 2014, 21:59.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I'm after lightweight and long battery. I think zoom lenses are moving into a different category (probably similar to Mr ms's camera which is too big and heavy to lug about for 4 days)
    I really enjoy carrying my x100s about with me, amazing pictures, no zoom and no heavy by any means. But I think beyond the budget you're considering. I always carry two batteries for a week away.

What about Trusted Reviews - The Latest Technology News and Reviews, you can quickly filter out the good from the bad.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 11 September 2014, 21:40.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Go for something without a zoom lens. You'll take better pictures.
    I'm after lightweight and long battery. I think zoom lenses are moving into a different category (probably similar to Mr ms's camera which is too big and heavy to lug about for 4 days)

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Go for something without a zoom lens. You'll take better pictures.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Mmm, May have to take that back - on pure specs it looks like you'd need a slightly more expensive Canon so maybe I'm out of date. Can't really look on my phone
    The camera that dropped in my tea was an ixus - was a nice camera. (Was a few years ago).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X