• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Identify the Film..."

Collapse

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
    Ok I've got one, I don't know what it's called or who's in it but it an 80's fantasy / horror and there was a scene I remember when a guy sat on this throne like chair and it stabbed him in the side with these things and then the chair twisted the guys head round and round like something out of the exorcist. There were these big spiked boobie traps that would swing from the ceiling and impal people too?

Any ideas?
    no not that, It was around the time of Krull
    Okay, how about this one?

Treasure of the Four Crowns (1983) - IMDb

Leave a comment:

• Cenobite
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Was the difference was so striking if watched on a genuine US telly in the US?
    Possibly, I know there was some rivalry between the standards with yanks calling PAL, "Please Adjust Luminance" and brits called NTSC, "Never The Same Colour".

I think there's very much a UK look to TV and film. It's a bit like "UK sound" which is sought after in the high-end hi-fi separates market.

I don't think I met anyone else who knew what I was on about until I spoke to my computer graphics lecturer at uni about it.

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    What about Time Travel movies, 1896-2015 | Kenneth Krabats 1000 stemmer

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    no not that, It was around the time of Krull

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Ok I've got one, I don't know what it's called or who's in it but it an 80's fantasy / horror and there was a scene I remember when a guy sat on this throne like chair and it stabbed him in the side with these things and then the chair twisted the guys head round and round like something out of the exorcist. There were these big spiked boobie traps that would swing from the ceiling and impal people too?

Any ideas?
    Crawlspace (1986) - IMDb
    Crawlspace (1986_film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied

Any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    There was one I saw after some particularly strong mushrooms. It was a bunch of dogs. They all could take. Looked like Paris and I swear they protected the king / queen. Very weird.
    One for all and all for one
    Muskehounds are always ready
    Helping everybody
    It's a pretty story
    Sharing everything with fun
    That's the way to be

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Not much to go on, but here's one candidate....

The Stone Tape (TV Movie 1972) - IMDb

Bloody 'ell you're very good GL! That's the one. The sounds of the woman screaming!

qh

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    There was one I saw after some particularly strong mushrooms. It was a bunch of dogs. They all could take. Looked like Paris and I swear they protected the king / queen. Very weird.
    Snow White and the Seven Dwarves?

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Greenlake, here's one for ya. Horror/ghost story film with foppish, brideshead revisited types living in a big mansion house with lots of pipes clanking all time. I'd say filmed in the 1970s.

Sorry for the vaugeness as I must have been 15 at the but I remember it scaring the bejeezus out of me. Then I found out my dad had watched it also and he got spooked as well. I love a good ghost story.

qh
    Not much to go on, but here's one candidate....

The Stone Tape (TV Movie 1972) - IMDb

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
    It's funny it's something I used to notice as a kid but I never found anyone else who noticed: ever since I can remember I could always identify whether a film or show was British or American just by seeing a few frames of it. I guess this is because of the tendency of American output to be shot on video compared with Britain's preference for film. Or perhaps the colour differences between PAL and NTSC. To me the difference in picture is so obvious.
    I could spot the difference straight away. It was particularly noticeable with stuff shot for TV if I remember correctly.

At the time I put it down to the difference between the UK's 625 lines and the 480(?) used by NTSC, but it might be more complicated than that. That the colours were different might be down to the conversion process from NTSC to PAL.

Was the difference was so striking if watched on a genuine US telly in the US?

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Greenlake, here's one for ya. Horror/ghost story film with foppish, brideshead revisited types living in a big mansion house with lots of pipes clanking all time. I'd say filmed in the 1970s.

Sorry for the vaugeness as I must have been 15 at the but I remember it scaring the bejeezus out of me. Then I found out my dad had watched it also and he got spooked as well. I love a good ghost story.

qh

Leave a comment:

• Cenobite
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    It's typically British, nicely shot, has the feel of a TV movie.....
    It's funny it's something I used to notice as a kid but I never found anyone else who noticed: ever since I can remember I could always identify whether a film or show was British or American just by seeing a few frames of it. I guess this is because of the tendency of American output to be shot on video compared with Britain's preference for film. Or perhaps the colour differences between PAL and NTSC. To me the difference in picture is so obvious.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    None of these chaps, it's quite definitely based around this horse stable/hay loft, and the character is rich in one setting and poor in the other (I think!).

It's typically British, nicely shot, has the feel of a TV movie.....

For me the stinking Victorian village is the memorable bit, makes the hero realise the stuff his ancestors did.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X