• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "'Statistically significant' rise in net migration to UK"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Some were forced out by high house prices. The immigrants in this case are other Brits.
    Many expats out this way retain a property back home and let it out. There's not much interest in moving back into those homes, so is my impression.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post

So the natives moved on on their own accord seeking better life, not because they were forced away by a wave of immigrants? Really don't get your point here.
    Some were forced out by high house prices. The immigrants in this case are other Brits.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    If you don't speak the language you are very very easy to exploit. Like this and this
    Like i sad "excluding criminal activities" In both cases quoted it was forced and in the second case the jobs were legal:

The trial was told that Siwak housed the four men in crowded flats in Portsmouth between June 2011 and May 2012.
    He ordered them to work in legitimate jobs such as salad packing but made the men hand over their bank cards, which he used to take control of their earnings.
    What has this to do with being allowed or not free access to the labor market in UK? Criminals/Illegals don't care for visa/work permits anyway. If anything it will force people who would otherwise work legally to go illegal.

When migration opened up I talked to people brought up in rural areas i.e. where were there are farms. The people who use to harvest the crops tended to be working class women. However now they do other jobs which are available all year round or simply can't afford to live in those areas.
    So the natives moved on on their own accord seeking better life, not because they were forced away by a wave of immigrants? Really don't get your point here.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I have never heard of a legal migrant that have right to work legally in the UK who is working an illegal low paid job (not talking about criminals).
    If you don't speak the language you are very very easy to exploit. Like this and this

The market is full with openings for legal low paid menial and/or physical labor jobs that the benefit scrounging Brits don't want.
    When migration opened up I talked to people brought up in rural areas i.e. where were there are farms. The people who use to harvest the crops tended to be working class women. However now they do other jobs which are available all year round or simply can't afford to live in those areas.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

I have never heard of a legal migrant that have right to work legally in the UK who is working an illegal low paid job (not talking about criminals). The market is full with openings for legal low paid menial and/or physical labor jobs that the benefit scrounging Brits don't want.

Even if there were such individuals getting out of the EU will not change this.

Not to mention the fact that the 250k net increase in the migration is mostly from Asia, not EU. What good is the visa/work permit regime doing on that front?
    Google for the farm gangs in East Anglia for a start.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    The equally couldn't have sent a Tory, as the natives would have eaten him
    Reminds me of the old Max Bygraves joke 'I wanna sell you a Tory'

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    I accept we cant control the illegals and them working black market. Im referring to the EU migrants who cant get work apart from being paid illegally, they are here legitimately but being taken advantage of.
    I have never heard of a legal migrant that have right to work legally in the UK who is working an illegal low paid job (not talking about criminals). The market is full with openings for legal low paid menial and/or physical labor jobs that the benefit scrounging Brits don't want.

Even if there were such individuals getting out of the EU will not change this.

Not to mention the fact that the 250k net increase in the migration is mostly from Asia, not EU. What good is the visa/work permit regime doing on that front?

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    The choice of Darling or anyone other than a Con was lamentable. It played right into Salmond's hands. All he had to do was keep asking Darling if he supported the Tories. Darling could hardly say he did and he could hardly say he didn't. He had nowhere to go, Salmond knew it and played it to the max. Darling simply blubbered.

And Brown wouldn't have gone anywhere near it. You would have to be brave or stupid to have put yourself between that rock and hard place and he is neither.
    The equally couldn't have sent a Tory, as the natives would have eaten him

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Who is Darling?

If you need a scapegoat should have at least made sure they were an ex-leader of one of the three main UK political parties.....

I would have rolled out John Major or Brown.
    The choice of Darling or anyone other than a Con was lamentable. It played right into Salmond's hands. All he had to do was keep asking Darling if he supported the Tories. Darling could hardly say he did and he could hardly say he didn't. He had nowhere to go, Salmond knew it and played it to the max. Darling simply blubbered.

And Brown wouldn't have gone anywhere near it. You would have to be brave or stupid to have put yourself between that rock and hard place and he is neither.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    You think the history books will care for such insignificance in today's world?
    You mean removing the carbuncle that is Scotland from the UK? Probably not

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Scapegoat already in place in the form of Darling.
    Who is Darling?

If you need a scapegoat should have at least made sure they were an ex-leader of one of the three main UK political parties.....

I would have rolled out John Major or Brown.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    That's not what the history books will say. They'll all point to 'omg what pm let this happen?'

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    I wonder how the presiding PM will feel during the break up of a country under his premiership.

Not exactly a way to go down in history.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    FTFY
    Short term goals, long term destruction.

Why hell lets sweeten the deal by privatising, er emm ah there's nothing left.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

I wonder how the presiding PM will feel during the break up of a country under his premiership.

Not exactly a way to go down into history an election year .
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

Working...
X