• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Literacy

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Literacy"

Collapse

• CloudWalker
    replied
    I worked with a London Indian contractor who when explaining business processes he would finish each sentence with "Ya get me"
    Nice chap though...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Yup.

Comes from years of experience of stuff being copied variously from the web & from each other.
    The majority of the people who speak English as an additional language I mix with learnt it before they were 9 so they can speak and write it fluently. Those that learnt British English are also proud that it's not American English or any other variant.

Then there are those who learnt it as teenagers or adults, and have no problem saying how bad their speaking and/or writing is.

Finally there is a group of others who just won't admit their English is poor even if it's a variant of English. This is the group who love copy and paste....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Language is constantly evolving; you watch - 5 years from now we'll all be saying it. Bit like 'upsert' and 'performant'.

It's in some dictionaries already but not the Oxford English Dictionary.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:
    upgradation
    Indian English.

The raising or improvement of grade, status, or level; = upgrading n. at upgrade v. Derivatives.
    1979 P. Nihalani et al. Indian & Brit. Eng. i. 186 The upgradation of a number of posts has been postponed because of the financial crisis.
    1986 Business India 8 Sept. 153/1 (advt.) Our Company lays great stress on technical training and knowledge upgradation.
    1990 Institutional Investor (Internat. ed.) Apr. s 23/1 The program also has a term loan component which supports investment activity in capacity upgradation and research and development.

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    I think upgradation is my favourite.
    presumably the opposite of degradation?

Clearly some holes in the language here, room for a bit patchation.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
    I heard "updation" for the first time this week, and I have to confess I quite like it.

We have "creation" and "deletion" as being the processes of being created or deleted, so why not the process of being updated?
    I think upgradation is my favourite.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    However the ex Esteemed Customer of whom I'm most proud is the chap who got stuck down the hole in Wind Street.

It's on youtube.

Just googled that. It's hilarious

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    When I first heard someone say "updation" seriously in real life I burst out laughing.
    I heard "updation" for the first time this week, and I have to confess I quite like it.

We have "creation" and "deletion" as being the processes of being created or deleted, so why not the process of being updated?

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    When I first heard someone say "updation" seriously in real life I burst out laughing.
    Language is constantly evolving; you watch - 5 years from now we'll all be saying it. Bit like 'upsert' and 'performant'.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Followed by "Updation complete"

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Gentlemen from foreign climes = much quickness plenty cheapness

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Try using shorter sentences.
    Yes. Sorry. Good advice. Too much Thomas Pynchon.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    I'm testing a bit of software here, written by gentlemen from foreign climes, and the success message is this:

"Sales Order <nnnnn> would be updated to database".

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    I'm testing a bit of software here, written by gentlemen from foreign climes, and the success message is this:

"Sales Order <nnnnn> would be updated to database".

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Are you being ironic? I am surprised by the apparent double standard that communication skills in general and written English in particular are said to be a key element of employability- which I agree with; we regularly get some Captain of industry bemoaning the falling standards in this area and basic numeracy amongst school leavers, and even graduates, while at the same time an increasing proportion of the people I work with at ClientCos are colleagues who don't have English as their first language and whose poor communication skills you would think would render them unemployable. These people seem to get a free pass. I don't get it and I was just wondering what others thought.
    Try using shorter sentences.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    We use it to detect plagiarism.

If the English is good, makes sense, and has punctuation (especially : or ; ) then it's a near dead cert that it's been stolen off the web.
    Oh yes. Amazing what pasting a fragment of text in quotes into Google brings up. Sometimes even that is superfluous; I was once at ClientCo A where I wrote a Best Practice Guide, which got shared with a partner agency, let's call them ProWip. Later I was at ClientCo B who were also partnered with ProWip who offered to share their Best Practices with us, as part of their services ...... you'd think a team of IT Professionals would know to change the 'Author' property in a Word Document they're stealing ....
    Last edited by pjclarke; 14 August 2014, 14:43.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X