• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "scraping by on £120k"

Collapse

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Yep, I remember a few years ago that they wanted to set up special 'camps' for AIDS sufferers and they used to check foreigners passports on the trains when they crossed the Bavarian state border. Very nice people
    Another famous Austrian liked to setup special camps, presumably they didn't fire up the ovens again to keep them warm

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I was asked once in broken English by passport officer if I was from Scotland, despite the thick accent.
    Cos you are morbidly obese?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Cos they think you are a cigarette smuggler.

Nothing like a bit of racial stereotyping....
    I was asked once in broken English by passport officer if I was from Scotland, despite the thick accent.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Sensible polices for a fairer society, why should the needs of the few out way the needs of the many.

I recall the passport business. I get the same treatment when from UK customs when returning from the Channel Islands.
    Cos they think you are a cigarette smuggler.

Nothing like a bit of racial stereotyping....

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Yep, I remember a few years ago that they wanted to set up special 'camps' for AIDS sufferers and they used to check foreigners passports on the trains when they crossed the Bavarian state border. Very nice people
    Sensible polices for a fairer society, why should the needs of the few out way the needs of the many.

I recall the passport business. I get the same treatment when from UK customs when returning from the Channel Islands.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I know, and I like it that way.
    We like it that way too.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    nice people then?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    INKSPE.
    Um

"I n?ver kn?w suc? pove?ty exi?ted"

Nearly got it, but am totally stumped on the last couple of words

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    well maybe if you can only get a minimum wage job you shouldnot squirt out sprogs you cannot afford...

just sayin loike
    Someone had to!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Although Munich is quite nice, its still full of pig ******* right wing Bavarian *******
    nice people then?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Still London is miles cheaper than Munich. A 3-bed flat near me is going for €2.4 million euro.
    Although Munich is quite nice, its still full of pig ******* right wing Bavarian *******

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

London is a supercity Munich isn't .
    I know, and I like it that way. More fresh air.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    £120k is not that much today. Problem is people are thinking in 1990 prices and getting giddy at the thought of so much money. But it's not really.

Today an average house in London is £400k. So 3.5 x £120k and still it's out of reach by 1990 standard of acceptable borrowing levels.

Still London is miles cheaper than Munich. A 3-bed flat near me is going for €2.4 million euro.
    Westminster isn't.

London is a supercity Munich isn't so prices vary across London. In the £400K average price are places like Illford which bring the average down.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    £120k is not that much today. Problem is people are thinking in 1990 prices and getting giddy at the thought of so much money. But it's not really.

Today an average house in London is £400k. So 3.5 x £120k and still it's out of reach by 1990 standard of acceptable borrowing levels.

£120k puts you firmly in the top 5% for individual earnings.

most London houses are being paid for out of paper profits or overseas cash. I'm hoping it crashes soon.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X