• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor v Temp - When the client doesn't know the difference"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Did the manager (not the agent) ever actually tell you they agreed to your hours shift?

If not then you might have an issue - I have had this when agent has said the client is happy with this and that and when I got there the client had no idea what I was talking about.

Perhaps you can email the client a reply to the email they sent you okaying the change and copy the manager and politely inquire as to whether things are still okay with it? If you don't have an email and it was all verbal you might have more of an issue.
    Standard agency shaft. Im betting it was never in writing/email. I know when I got caught out I realised that it was all verbal.

Best one I ever had was years when I was even duller. Got gig. Max 6 weeks on site A (200 miles away) then rest of time was site B (10 miles from home). Rate was crap but I thought great 6 weeks then close to home = result. No way could I afford to stay away in hotel for entire time so I just though of it as a loss leader. Well this is what agent told me.

So two weeks pass I ask client about the 'transfer' back to site B. First client had heard of it. As far as they were concerned it was all at Site A. Basically, agent had found out they did have an office close to home and used that to lie to me. To be fair the client was great about it and even looked into me working from Site B but it didnt come off. They completely understood when I walked.

So I told agency to shove it a week later with no notice. They went mad but I ignored them. The client was well pissed off with the agency and canned them as well. Result there.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Did the manager (not the agent) ever actually tell you they agreed to your hours shift?

If not then you might have an issue - I have had this when agent has said the client is happy with this and that and when I got there the client had no idea what I was talking about.

Perhaps you can email the client a reply to the email they sent you okaying the change and copy the manager and politely inquire as to whether things are still okay with it? If you don't have an email and it was all verbal you might have more of an issue.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Go to the 6pm Friday meet and get dominos to deliver pizza to feed the room, pick up the tab, everyone will think you are a legend; then give him notice in front of his team and walk.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Some companies want the skills of contractors with the subservience of permies after a bonus.
    Some equate our high rates to being able to demand ludicrous hours.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    I have had to push back on requests like meetings at six on a Friday and find the relationship never fully recovers.

Some companies want the skills of contractors with the subservience of permies after a bonus.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    i would have just showed up at 10am to make up for it.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by sirja View Post
    Who does 'group meetings' at 6pm on a Friday? Even Accidenture never tried that one with me
    A huge Japanese IT and telecoms company in the UK did that with me. Not only Fridays but DAILY for all15 months of the duration of the programme. Just didn't show up anymore after a while unless I had some time left.

Leave a comment:

• sirja
    replied
    Who does 'group meetings' at 6pm on a Friday? Even Accidenture never tried that one with me

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    What is the difference between a contractor and a temp?

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    you may also be the 'victim' of the classic small minded, power hungry middle management minion who hates his job and his fat wife so much that he just wants to try and make everyone as miserable as him.

the choice is yours on how you play it - but ensure that your skills are not replacable and that the people above him value you.

otherwise get your cv sorted and jog on to the next one.
    And in the town it was well known, when they got home at night, their fat psychopathic wives would thrash them.....

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    you may also be the 'victim' of the classic small minded, power hungry middle management minion who hates his job and his fat wife so much that he just wants to try and make everyone as miserable as him.

the choice is yours on how you play it - but ensure that your skills are not replacable and that the people above him value you.

otherwise get your cv sorted and jog on to the next one.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    well, sometimes things go askew.
    deals made with agents anrnt worth the paper
    agreements made with the client are forgotten or superceded
    etc....

there are two solutions

1) walk
    2)make the bastids pay. and pay. and pay

kerrrching

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Anyway, who asks contractors to a meeting at 6 on a Friday and who asks them that before their first day on site?

I suspect this one has come from historicSockieList.xls
    Had a client who asked me to cover 6am to 3pm one week (then 2-10 week after). Nothing in the contract about this but Hmmm OK I said. Not ideal - I lived an hour away so it was up at the crack but not the end of the world after all.

But then they decided to arrange meetings at 6pm each day and said it was compulsory for everyone. I thought that was a bit rich considering it was they're idea for these hours in the first place yet they still wanted me to stay for an extra 3-4 hours.

I wasnt popular but told them no chance.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
    The agent agreed once he had cleared it with the hiring manager at ClientCo. Since agreeing to the contract I've since heard from two or three other contractors who have worked there saying that the manager agrees to your conditions and then once you're on site thinks of you as one of his employees and just expects you to jump through hoops to please him; even weekend meetings in London if required outside contracted hours which is a definite no from me as I have a family and we live in the North West.

Andrew
    Outside agreed hours/days tell them to get ****ed!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Who's agreed? You and the agent? If that's the case it doesn't mean diddly-squat.

He'd agree to you doing his grandma if it meant you'd sign on the dotted line. Now that you have it's not his problem, he's onto the next contract to fill.
    Oh dear. Seen this before.

Contractor says to agent - Can you ask client if they'll go for this?
    Agent - Yes they're ok with that.

Agent in the meantime, doesnt mention a dicky bird to client cos he doesnt want to upset the applecart now the contracts signed. Of course, contractor turns up on site and its all too late then.
    Agent confident that if it all kicks off he can blag is way out of it and contractor looks bad because hes misunderstood.

Had it twice with holidays. Agent swears yes all sorted told client - get there first they've heard. Luckily never caused a problem.

Sorry mate. Client doesnt know about this and sounds like he wants you mon-fri 9-5. I cant see it ending well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X