• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Loony Left Coming For Evil Thomas the Tank Engine"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Were you being ironic BB?
    (couldn't resist it)

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Blah ...

Ha ha ha ha

Firstly arctic ice, looks like it's going to be a bad year for the warmists
    Nobody would be more delighted than I if the decline decelerated, or even reversed. But the ice is 2 standard deviations below the average for the satellite age, and not far above the previous minimum in 2012. The decline has not been monotonic, on a yearly timescale, stochastic factors (weather!) can affect the melt, meaning we tend to get a new record low every few years, not every year. For example 2007 was a massively low new record, but it was not exceeded again until 2012. Some herald this lack of a new low every year as 'a recovery'.

Here's a chart from the US National Snow and Ice Data Center

And the Super El Nino is well and truly f****ed
    (just to explain, super El Nino drive the global temps up, as it did in the 1980's and 1990's, without them nuffing happens,)
    No. The El Nino Southern Oscillation is simply a redistribution of heat around the oceans, an El Nino event brings warm water to the surface raising the temperatures there, a La Nina event brings cold water to the surface. The clue is in the name, it is an oscillation that has been occurring for thousands of years, with no net effect on the overall trend. Why it should suddenly start warming the world simultaneously with a rise in greenhouse gases is an unexplained mystery. Incidentally, there's a good new paper on the way the models that capture ENSO the best, also model the global temperatures the best, just out ...

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journ...imate2310.html

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    So as you don't own, and haven't read the book you're quoting from, let me fill in some missing context -

and

describe the 'society' a strong man might trample (and if you read the whole section you'd see that 'trample' doesn't mean destroy - it means to overcome. In this instance the boy was too weak and so sought to trample more literally).

And here's what comes immediately after the quote you posted:

And, of course, it's worth remembering that these journal entries are a kind of internal dialogue - a process she went through in order to formulate her ideas for novels/plays she intended to write. It wouldn't be particularly honest to take everything at face value. Clearly in this last instance she's taking hints from Hickman's character, and letting her imagination run with it in order to come up with ideas for her play.

So, again, you can see that quoting people who are referring to things you have no knowledge of, let alone understanding, only serves to make you look silly. I don't understand why you persist so.
    Missing context, selective quotation and so on can be misleading, sure. But I note that once again you have to redfine a word this case 'trample' to make your case. You have your interpretation, I have mine.

C'mon. In a sentence if you can manage it, what was the 'blatent lie' you were thinking of? An example of me writing something I knew to be false. All I said was that Rand idealized Hickman to some extent, (evidence: she said so in the quote you quoted - duh! and called him an 'exceptional being'), and admired some of the traits in Hickman's character that made him a psychopath, and gave some of those traits to the protagonists of her fiction, specifically a lack of empathy, compassion, respect for the feelings of others and a steely willingness to do 'whatever it takes' to achieves one's self-centred goals, regardless of the impact on others. She described Hickman's credo '"What is good for me is right" as "The best and strongest expression of a real man's psychology I have heard," and the sketch for the hero of the planned book included 'the absolute lack of social instinct or herd feeling. He does not understand, because he has no organ for understanding, the necessity, meaning, or importance of other people ... Other people do not exist for him and he does not understand why they should.". A textbook definition of a sociopath's lack of empathy.

from The Journals...

The claim that Hickman's greatest crime is his anti-socialness confirmed my idea of the public's attitude in this case - and explains my involuntary, irresistible sympathy for him, which I cannot help feeling just because of this and in spite of everything else.
    Last edited by pjclarke; 23 July 2014, 14:36.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Might be an improvement, I got to the end of that one, and Orwell could write ....
    You'll like animal farm then. It's even shorter.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    'a brilliant, unusual, exceptional boy turned into a purposeless monster. By whom? By what? Is it not by that very society that is now yelling so virtuously in its role of innocent victim? He had a brilliant mind, a romantic, adventurous, impatient soul and a straight, uncompromising, proud character. What had society to offer him? A wretched, insane family as the ideal home, a Y.M.C.A. club as social honor, and a bank-page job as ambition and career...'

If he had any desires and ambitions -- what was the way before him? A long, slow, soul-eating, heart-wrecking toil and struggle; the degrading, ignoble road of silent pain and loud compromises....

"A strong man can eventually trample society under his feet. That boy was not strong enough. But is that his crime? Is it his crime that he was too impatient, fiery and proud to go that slow way? That he was not able to serve, when he felt worthy to rule; to obey, when he wanted to command?

So as you don't own, and haven't read the book you're quoting from, let me fill in some missing context -

If he had any desires and ambitions—what was the way before him? A long, slow, soul-eating, heart-wrecking toil and struggle; a degrading, ignoble road of silent pain and loud compromises. Succeed? How could he succeed? How do men succeed? By begging successfully for the good graces of the society they must serve. And if he could not serve? If he didn’t know how to beg? It’s a long and tortuous road that an exceptional man must travel in this society. It requires a steel-strength that can overcome disgust, which is a worse enemy than fear, and also a steel-hypocrisy, the patient art of hiding oneself when it is wise not to be seen.
    and

The petty, narrow, inconsistent, hypocritical ideology of present-day humanity. All the criminal, ludicrous, tragic nonsense of Christianity and its morals, virtues, and consequences.
    describe the 'society' a strong man might trample (and if you read the whole section you'd see that 'trample' doesn't mean destroy - it means to overcome. In this instance the boy was too weak and so sought to trample more literally).

And here's what comes immediately after the quote you posted:

This is what I think of the case. I am afraid that I idealize Hickman and that he might not be this at all. In fact, he probably isn’t. But it does not make any difference. If he isn‘t, he could be, and that’s enough. The reaction of society would be the same, if not worse, toward the Hickman I have in mind. This case showed me how society can wreck an exceptional being, and then murder him for being the wreck that it itself has created. This will be the story of the boy in my book.
    And, of course, it's worth remembering that these journal entries are a kind of internal dialogue - a process she went through in order to formulate her ideas for novels/plays she intended to write. It wouldn't be particularly honest to take everything at face value. Clearly in this last instance she's taking hints from Hickman's character, and letting her imagination run with it in order to come up with ideas for her play.

So, again, you can see that quoting people who are referring to things you have no knowledge of, let alone understanding, only serves to make you look silly. I don't understand why you persist so.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Yeah, cheers. But you're right, it would be hard to invent a better topic on which to waste time on the interweb. Huge stakes (maybe), we won't know the truth for decades, if ever, a huge mass of evidence, far more than most laymen could assimilate in their spare time, from which to cherry-pick factoids, columnists willing to make stuff up....

... isn't it about time we had a new one, BP? surely the Daily Mail has said something on the matter recently?
    Two things:

Firstly arctic ice, looks like it's going to be a bad year for the warmists

And the Super El Nino is well and truly f****ed
    (just to explain, super El Nino drive the global temps up, as it did in the 1980's and 1990's, without them nuffing happens,)

After this wimpish El Nino there will probably be a La Nina which will push global temps down

Ha ha ha ha

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Are we moving on to 1984 now?
    Might be an improvement, I got to the end of that one, and Orwell could write ....

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    You're responding to a large post where I pointed out many untruths.

And if you repeat outright lies with no attempt to verify the truth of their claims, then you are a liar too.

it's not hard, is it?
    Did a post go missing? Apparently it is near-impossible for you to state, clearly and unambiguously - what was the lie? Just saying you've done it, when you manifestly have not, is not the same thing as doing it.

But backing your assertions up with examples and evidence is not really your thing is it?
    Last edited by pjclarke; 23 July 2014, 13:40. Reason: spelling and removed qualification

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Ignorance is knowledge.
    Are we moving on to 1984 now?

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Where's the untruth? I assume you read all eight parts of 'Susan of Texas's demolition of the book before making the accusation...?
    You're responding to a large post where I pointed out many untruths.

And if you repeat outright lies with no attempt to verify the truth of their claims, then you are a liar too.

it's not hard, is it?

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    You knew what you were talking about then
    Ignorance is knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    What happened to the Lisa who wrote me such an appreciative PM just last October? Oh, how soon they forget. :-(
    You knew what you were talking about then

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    One can always tell when one has touched a nerve by the strength of the ad-hominems.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    What happened to the Lisa who wrote me such an appreciative PM just last October? Oh, how soon they forget. :-(

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Desist what?
    Honestly it's like having a battle of wits with an unarmed man

Leave a comment:

Working...
X