• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: London property

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "London property"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    Expect movement after the next election, status quo cannot go on forever, national debt going endlessly up to pay for propping up the over borrowed cannot go on forever, no matter how much politicians may want it.
    I disagree. If there was going to be movement it would have been after May 2010.

What I am not sure about is how it will end. Will people borrow as much as they can as they will have the Government will always bail them up? Hyperinflation?

I see no changes for 10+ years.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sirja View Post
    As long as central banks keep pumping billions into the system and keep rates ultra low then London property will keep going up. If and when this stops it'll come down. Rates need to go MUCH higher to bring prices down. What's currently being disused is 2.5% over the next 5 years. Sorry but that won't make a dent in property prices.
    Agreed strongly. A good article on QE today :-

Have central banks been breaking the law? - Telegraph

Quantitative easing has had a reverse Robin Hood-type effect by robbing from the poor and giving to the rich

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    If they:

- Did something about out of control immigration
    - Fixed the slow inefficient planning system
    - Put in place sensible earnings/mortgage size multiples
    - Put interest rates up to levels where it made sense to save
    - Stopped the state manipulation of the market, help to bubble and all the rest

House prices would go down significantly, they are already massively higher than similar places in the world.

Expect movement after the next election, status quo cannot go on forever, national debt going endlessly up to pay for propping up the over borrowed cannot go on forever, no matter how much politicians may want it.

Leave a comment:

• sirja
    replied
    As long as central banks keep pumping billions into the system and keep rates ultra low then London property will keep going up. If and when this stops it'll come down. Rates need to go MUCH higher to bring prices down. What's currently being disused is 2.5% over the next 5 years. Sorry but that won't make a dent in property prices.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    +1

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nah there are still the Arabs and the Chinese who buy properties and let them crumble......
    Chinese like to buy them and keep them unrented. They believe living in them reduces the value.

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    Depends entirely on what the Bank of England does with interest rates.

It's pretty obvious to me that any tightening will result in a crash, but i'm not convinced they're going to go through with it.
    I think interest rates are almost irrelevant. Its availabilty of cash buyers and credit that makes a bigger difference.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Depends entirely on what the Bank of England does with interest rates.

It's pretty obvious to me that any tightening will result in a crash, but i'm not convinced they're going to go through with it.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied

For once 'the mash' is actually funny.

I guess it's written by bitter and twisted Londoners anyway

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    London is just one cog in a global property bubble engineered by governments and international banks to generate funds in order to recapitalise.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    If the EU will put sanctions in place against the Russian olichargs, property values on the high end may suddenly drop a lot, which then may trickle down into the "cheaper" London properties
    Nah there are still the Arabs and the Chinese who buy properties and let them crumble......

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    London property market based on people pretending grim places are great

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I was looking through the Sunday Times property section yesterday, 12 fookin million for a terraced house, 15 million for a flat. Jesus.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    If the EU will put sanctions in place against the Russian olichargs, property values on the high end may suddenly drop a lot, which then may trickle down into the "cheaper" London properties

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    started a topic London property

London property

You'd be crazy to buy a home right now - Telegraph

Each time I hear that stuff, most years since 1992, I wonder if this will be the time the crash finally comes.

I can't see it happening for at least 10+ years. House price crash would finish the economy - government will never let it happen.

Working...
X