• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lets wrap all kids in cotton wool"

Collapse

• RasputinDude
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    my kids have been playing with these - and strangley enough they have not managed to turn a small elastic band into a deadly weapon.

must be doing something right as a parent.....

My kids are really into these - I spent an amusing five minutes or so flicking the glorified overpriced elastic band tat loom bands at them before being firmly told that "loom bands are not weapons Daddy and it's very naughty to flick them people" (I pity the poor boy that she's going to marry one day).

So, nerf gun wars are totally fine, but improvised elastic band weapons are not.

Clearly I have failed as a parent.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied
    And the other side of the coin....

If my kids could do this I wouldn't ban the bands, not while they had at least one eye anyway! SFW

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    If you wrapped kids up in cotton wool there's a percentage chance that one would suffocate.

And then you'd have to ban cotton wool.
    There should be a warning on cotton wool packets.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

I will never have them in the house again.
    That's a bit extreme, poke him in the other eye, send him to bed or tell them off but to ban them from the house?

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    If you wrapped kids up in cotton wool there's a percentage chance that one would suffocate.

And then you'd have to ban cotton wool.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    indeed and I'll strangley you if you do stop picking on my spellling mistooks

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    my kids have been playing with these - and strangley enough they have not managed to turn a small elastic band into a deadly weapon.

The strangley bit sounds concerning.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    FTFY
    stop frothing, its embarrassing.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    And the BLINDED boy, was actually TEMPORARILY BLINDED IN ONE EYE, but I guess that doesn't make for such good cretinbait
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    wibble
    Sh! Dont tell everyone.

BTW - sas would be proud.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    And the BLINDED boy, was actually TEMPORARILY BLINDED IN ONE EYE, but I guess that doesn't make for such good clickbait

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I'd like to have been a fly on the wall when the Cheong Choon NG tried to pitch this.

'But it's an elastic band!'
    'No, it's a rainbow loom'
    'But it's an elastic band'
    'I know, genius isn't it!'

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    What I love about this thread is that it's a cracking example of a slightly frothing at the mouth Daily Mail article that is then picked up by one of the resident CUK cretins to build into a paranoid world-view that there are mysterious (probably statist) forces trying to ban childhood fun through an Elf and Safety agenda. Let's look a bit deeper.

The URL is Boy BLINDED by loom band after being hit in the eye | Mail Online

But nowhere in the article does it mention any schools that have introduced bans. The only authority that appears from this article to have banned them is the boy's mother who says:

I don't really blame her position, and she's not even calling for a ban outside her house but has asked the company to add a warning to the label. Sounds like a good idea - then we can all make our own decisions.

Of equally sinister significance:

and

What is more:

I wonder if that involved the Mail reporter phoning experts until more than one of them agreed that there could be a choking hazard. Perhaps I do them a dis-service.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Boy BLINDED by loom band as doctors warn they're a health risk | Mail Online

This sort of accident can happen with any toy. Anyone who thinks banning loom bans will prevent accidents needs a group of loom bands shaped like a giant dildo inserted up their rectum.
    What I love about this thread is that it's a cracking example of a slightly frothing at the mouth Daily Mail article that is then picked up by one of the resident CUK cretins to build into a paranoid world-view that there are mysterious (probably statist) forces trying to ban childhood fun through an Elf and Safety agenda. Let's look a bit deeper.

The URL is Boy BLINDED by loom band after being hit in the eye | Mail Online

But nowhere in the article does it mention any schools that have introduced bans. The only authority that appears from this article to have banned them is the boy's mother who says:

I will never have them in the house again.

I emailed the company about changing the labelling to warn people but they haven’t got back to me. There should be a warning on the packet – children shouldn’t be doing the stretching. It’s terrible that this has happened. I’ve had other parents come forward and say that something similar has happened, but not as bad.
    I don't really blame her position, and she's not even calling for a ban outside her house but has asked the company to add a warning to the label. Sounds like a good idea - then we can all make our own decisions.

Of equally sinister significance:

Stafford GP Dr Anne-Marie Houlder also urges parents to be vigilant
    and

...a doctor has used a Facebook group to warn parents over the dangers of the playground craze, in which tiny bands are woven together, either using fingers or a special plastic loom, to make friendship bracelets.

The GP, from Bristol, posted a picture of a boy who had wound bands so tightly around two of his fingers before falling asleep that they had turned blue from lack of blood circulation.
    What is more:

Other experts have warned the bands could be a choking hazard for younger children.
    I wonder if that involved the Mail reporter phoning experts until more than one of them agreed that there could be a choking hazard. Perhaps I do them a dis-service.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X