• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are dayrates suddenly taking a dive?"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Yep, my biggest weakness is that once I've spent three months with clueless muppets my politeness filter starts to evaporate until my contempt for their utter muppetry becomes obvious to even them.
    I don't usually last three months. Eighteen months into this gig and any pretence of respect or cordiality for either the end users or management disappeared some time ago.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Sadly, yes. You get a higher rate to promise the earth and then watch as some poor techie sod has to clear up your mess.

Apparently, this might have something to do with the ability to speak to people normally, and wash occasionally, but I don't believe that for a second.
    You are right to be suspicious. The emboldened 'and' should read 'or' for accuracy.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Sadly, yes. You get a higher rate to promise the earth and then watch as some poor techie sod has to clear up your mess.

Apparently, this might have something to do with the ability to speak to people normally, and wash occasionally, but I don't believe that for a second.
    Yep, my biggest weakness is that once I've spent three months with clueless muppets my politeness filter starts to evaporate until my contempt for their utter muppetry becomes obvious to even them.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    The latter condition appears to me to be a subset of the former condition.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Yes, but since when was that important.

I have Prince 2 you know
    PRINCE2

Otherwise it sounds as if you're in a sexual relationship with a top male recording artist.

Not that I'm judging.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    And don't have the skills to do it, either
    Yes, but since when was that important.

I have Prince 2 you know

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    I am too expensive
    The latter condition appears to me to be a subset of the former condition.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I am too expensive

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied

Surely they aren't desperate enough to ask you to do it??
    I am too expensive

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    7 months in Hampshire by any chance?
    Yep. The three people I could think of aren't available - including one who prefers to be working on your project, I believe.

Surely they aren't desperate enough to ask you to do it??

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    I've had five agencies contact me about the same role this morning,
    7 months in Hampshire by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I've had five agencies contact me about the same role this morning, which is paying £670 a day.

I'm not interested in it, though.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Oh dear it's been proven time and time again that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, the fact of the matter is if you compromise on quality then you'll come a cropper later on I've seen this on mulitple projects where deadlines haven't been hit or releases have been delayed. You only have to look at outsourcing and the calamity that has been, what would make these large programmes any different?

Leave a comment:

• ITSkillsGap
    replied
    Current Day Rates

Hi guys,

I speak to a lot of Test Managers and Dev Managers etc in my role and I would say that a pretty accurate average for the UK Daily rates are between £300 - £350 per day.

For instance a Test Analyst with ISEB/ISTQB will go for about £330 per day in the South of England at the moment. Of course this varies from industry to industry a bit and individual client, but that should give you a good idea where to position yourself for a mid level role.

It is getting harder and there are a number of large new programmes appearing in the market for employers to access lower cost testers and developers, but luckily for the contractors not everyone knows about these yet!

Have you seen this site? - Software Testing Contracts, Contractor Rates for Software Testing Skills

Hope this is useful to you all.

Leave a comment:

• Mulder
    replied
    I have to admit I normally use Jobserve, some are generic CV harvesting roles but you can usually spot those, some will be a bit better disguised CV harvesting roles but at least for Senior BA roles in Scotland, I would say a good chunk are genuine roles.

At the moment I am in the lucky position of not currently looking as not on the bench, but also agents contacting me about roles (most mass e-mails) but some are a bit more targeted so domestically I have not needed to use a Job search engine for a while (other than to keep an eye on rates).

For my BAs in Scotland at least with my experience, I wouldn't say day rates are taking a dive just now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X