• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Late payment, reason to terminate contract?"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    How many contracts have this in them?
    I don't know. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

To state that there is no way that a single breach of payment terms would be a breach of condition, which enables one party to terminate the contract, is absolutely wrong, though.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Unless the contract includes the terms and a clear indication that the payment schedule is key to the contract. If that's the case, then it becomes a breach of condition, whereby you could terminate for breach (and also sue for damages).
    How many contracts have this in them?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It might be key to you but it still won't stand up in court and isn't a reason to terminate.
    Unless the contract includes the terms and a clear indication that the payment schedule is key to the contract. If that's the case, then it becomes a breach of condition, whereby you could terminate for breach (and also sue for damages).

Leave a comment:

• Cenobite
    replied
    It might be key to you but it still won't stand up in court and isn't a reason to terminate.
    You're such a mug: you must be a complete push over.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    What's the issue with termination?

Tell them you're unavailable for the next four weeks and then give four weeks' notice.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    WNLUKS

Unfortunately you need to be "reasonable" in your business dealings and terminating a contract for this reason on one late payment isn't seen as reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
    I disagree: if the first payment is late the client/agent has a 100% track record of paying you late. For me, that first payment being on time is absolutely key. In my experience, if people get away with something once, they think they can get away with it again.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    If the late payment is building up then there does come a point at which the directors need to consider their fiduciary duty. Withdrawal from the contract could eventually become appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• Cenobite
    replied
    A single late payment is no way a breach and would never stand up in court. It's late, it isn't a breach in the agreement between the two parties.
    I disagree: if the first payment is late the client/agent has a 100% track record of paying you late. For me, that first payment being on time is absolutely key. In my experience, if people get away with something once, they think they can get away with it again.

Leave a comment:

• Cenobite
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    Snap ... I've issued penalty invoices and the agency paid them...
    Did you do that while you were still with the agency or after you'd left? I think you have six years to issue a penalty invoice.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by riffpie View Post
    It is? Source? Don't not believe you, just never heard of that before.
    The Late Payment of Commercial Debts Regulations 2013 - Pay on Time

Reference rate = 0.5%
    Penalty rate = reference rate + 8% = 8.5% APR

Interest due on £1350 for 31 days late = £9.75

Statutory admin fee = £70 ( more than £1000, less than £10000 due)

Total due = £79.75

(The admin fee is £40 for outstanding balances under £1000, and £100 for balances over £10000)

I have a spreadsheet to calculate the penalty from when one of my clients kept paying late - bear in mind you can still chase up to five years after the debt is settled, IIRC.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    As I said in post 7 - it's a breach of warranty, so the OP would be entitled to damages but not termination.

To say that when someone breaks a clause in the contract isn't a breach is wrong, though.
    Yep. I was coming from breach & termination just for a single late payment but yes you are quite correct.

Leave a comment:

• riffpie
    replied
    Or £79.75 since that's the statutory amount.
    It is? Source? Don't not believe you, just never heard of that before.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Indeed but termination is what the OP is after which I can't see will work. Interesting article here..
    As I said in post 7 - it's a breach of warranty, so the OP would be entitled to damages but not termination.

To say that when someone breaks a clause in the contract isn't a breach is wrong, though.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by riffpie View Post
    True.

Assuming £450/day, and a three day working week, that's £1,620 inc. VAT OP is owed. Let's assume an AER of 1.35%. That sum owed would earn £21.87 in a year. If the agency are a month late with it, that's a whole £1.82 he can claim.

Oversimplified, but that's the gist of it.
    Or £79.75 since that's the statutory amount.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X