• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Finding a substitute"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    EXACTLY. When we start believing odd comments from agents then we're really in trouble.

Look at exactly what we've got here. Young lad, fresh out of carphone warehouse, now a recruitment consultant, thinks hes Bertie Big bollox. Been to a few meetings with client and now hes important.

Got these contractors and hes the man. Hes got some power over them because he gets them gigs. They need to listen to him.

But hes clueless really, has no idea about contracting and hasnt even read the contracts. Why should he hes hitting those sales targets.

So contractor mentions sub clause and he hasnt got a clue. If he admits hes got no idea:-

1. He no longer looks like the man who runs the show.
    2. Why waste another chance to underline the fact that hes got the power and your just a contractor.

So he makes it up. Says nah I know the client won't go for that. Make sense?

Hes hardly going to say I dont know I'll find out is he?
    Your apostrophe key not working?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    While I agree with NLUK in that if the agent thinks they wouldn't go for it then they very likely wouldn't, the fact that he wasn't even aware that the clause was in there would, in my opinion, mean that any judgement would have to disregard the agent's remarks as not particularly credible.
    EXACTLY. When we start believing odd comments from agents then we're really in trouble.

Look at exactly what we've got here. Young lad, fresh out of carphone warehouse, now a recruitment consultant, thinks hes Bertie Big bollox. Been to a few meetings with client and now hes important.

Got these contractors and hes the man. Hes got some power over them because he gets them gigs. They need to listen to him.

But hes clueless really, has no idea about contracting and hasnt even read the contracts. Why should he hes hitting those sales targets.

So contractor mentions sub clause and he hasnt got a clue. If he admits hes got no idea:-

1. He no longer looks like the man who runs the show.
    2. Why waste another chance to underline the fact that hes got the power and your just a contractor.

So he makes it up. Says nah I know the client won't go for that. Make sense?

Hes hardly going to say I dont know I'll find out is he?

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    While I agree with NLUK in that if the agent thinks they wouldn't go for it then they very likely wouldn't, the fact that he wasn't even aware that the clause was in there would, in my opinion, mean that any judgement would have to disregard the agent's remarks as not particularly credible.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Why are people still banging on about the contract? He made it clear the client wouldn't accept it as part of working practice. I have said a number of times this will trump the contract.
    Couldn't it be argued here that this was nothing more than the agent's opinion. The client has not formally declared that no subs will be allowed.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Why are people still banging on about the contract? He made it clear the client wouldn't accept it as part of working practice. I have said a number of times this will trump the contract.
    That might hold true if you substituted the client for the agent in your hypothetical conversation and that indeed, was the client's position.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Because the agent hasn't even read the contract so even though it may be, it is not yet.

Makes a change for us to say 'are you sure you are cut out to be an agent

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    None of which is concrete and can and will be argued. I would not be looking forward to an hearing with a sham clause with only the strength of other evidence backing me up.
    Not sure what you're getting at w/r to "none of which is concrete". An unfettered RoS will be scrutinized along with all other clauses (and not with predetermined weight) and this is why it's of paramount importance to collect the evidence during a contract to demonstrate status in the round. I wouldn't be looking forward to a hearing under any circumstances, but ticked boxes does not a strong case produce.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied
    The agent says client won't go for it. How isn't it a sham then?

That's even worse. A good assumption here would be the client won't go for it either. Bearing in mind working practices trump the contract I don't know why you are bothered with what's in the contract. You know the score.

HMRC to agent : Will the client allow RoS
    Agent to HMRC : No, I told the contractor this gave my opinion even though I hadn't read the contract before I signed it before he started.
    HMRC to agent : Thank you very much!!

QDOS to contractor : Thanks but no thanks, goodbye.

Anyway, it's up to you.
    Because the agent hasn't even read the contract so even though it may be, it is not yet.

Makes a change for us to say 'are you sure you are cut out to be an agent

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    This idea of 66% and point scoring more generally has been specifically rejected by the courts. It's the overall picture that matters and the absence of one clause places more focus on the strength of the other evidence.
    None of which is concrete and can and will be argued. I would not be looking forward to an hearing with a sham clause with only the strength of other evidence backing me up.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Well most good guides on IR35 name RoS as one of the main three flags. I certainly would not want to go in to an investigation knowing I was only 66% covered and even that is then subject to enhanced scrutiny due to one of them being dismissed from the outset.

I certainly don't agree it's one of three at all. QDOS fail a contract on any of these, not on the basis one works and the rest is missing for a start.
    This idea of 66% and point scoring more generally has been specifically rejected by the courts. It's the overall picture that matters and the absence of one clause places more focus on the strength of the other evidence. IIRC, the precedence was set by Ready Mix Concrete where all three conditions were required to indicate a contract of service. See also, McManus vs Griffiths 1997, where personal service was required. The difficulty (for us) is that the weighting of the factors varies along with the case law and there are no guarantees of anything until a case is heard. Whether QDOS decide to do one thing or another is probably more a reflection of their level of risk tolerance or the depth of review (e.g. of the contract terms alone vs. working practices) than anything else.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian Potter View Post
    Has anyone on this forum been investigated with regards to IR35?
    Yep, at least one but I don't think it got very far.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Potter
    replied
    Has anyone on this forum been investigated with regards to IR35?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    I don't entirely agree with this, except the importance of not having sham clauses. It isn't necessary to demonstrate all three. It's one of three and, in my opinion, not the most important one (it's the unfettered right that matters, but, unless you've demonstrated the right, it will always be suspect). I'd be far more concerned about evidence of D&C or, to put it differently, I'd be much more confident in a situation where there was a clear lack of D&C, backed up by evidence. Employees are always under D&C. A strong contract and working practices should evidence, in all possible ways, the lack of D&C (what, where, when, how).
    Well most good guides on IR35 name RoS as one of the main three flags. I certainly would not want to go in to an investigation knowing I was only 66% covered and even that is then subject to enhanced scrutiny due to one of them being dismissed from the outset.

I certainly don't agree it's one of three at all. QDOS fail a contract on any of these, not on the basis one works and the rest is missing for a start.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    It's one of the major three you have to have to be outside. Without it you are on a wish and a prayer at the very best.

I would also think if your IR35 insurance provider found out you knew it was a sham they would withdraw cover as well.
    I don't entirely agree with this, except the importance of not having sham clauses. It isn't necessary to demonstrate all three. It's one of three and, in my opinion, not the most important one (it's the unfettered right that matters, but, unless you've demonstrated the right, it will always be suspect). I'd be far more concerned about evidence of D&C or, to put it differently, I'd be much more confident in a situation where there was a clear lack of D&C, backed up by evidence. Employees are always under D&C. A strong contract and working practices should evidence, in all possible ways, the lack of D&C (what, where, when, how).

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Nope. I disagree. I dont know its a sham.
    The agent says client won't go for it. How isn't it a sham then?

The fact that this particular agent did not even know that the substitution clause existed in their contract and did not even know what it was, confidently leads me to believe that they've never had this specific conversation with the client.
    That's even worse. A good assumption here would be the client won't go for it either. Bearing in mind working practices trump the contract I don't know why you are bothered with what's in the contract. You know the score.

HMRC to agent : Will the client allow RoS
    Agent to HMRC : No, I told the contractor this before he started.
    HMRC to agent : Thank you very much!!

QDOS to contractor : Thanks but no thanks, goodbye.

Anyway, it's up to you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X