• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Contractor Pension

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor Pension"

Collapse

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Sounds like a Saturday night out in Halifax that...
    I don't know whether to laugh or be worried

Not sure that second smiley is entirely appropriate now either

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    Diving and now dragons, two superb examples of good taste in a week
    Sounds like a Saturday night out in Halifax that...

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    The OP appears to have some of the characteristics of a Kender.
    Diving and now dragons, two superb examples of good taste in a week

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Affect vs. Effect Grammar Rules

(saving FaQQer the bother...!)
    Darn it. It's one of those stupid things I always get wrong, like Left and Right.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Paying into a pension can affect your take home pay because the gross value of the contribution increases your basic rate tax band. Pay £8,000 into a pension and instead of paying 40% tax at £41,450 you'll pay 40% at £51,450. An extra £10k at 20%.

You'd save more all round if you just went Limited of course

Btw - Tasslehoff, there's a blast from the past! Dragons

Affect vs. Effect Grammar Rules

(saving FaQQer the bother...!)

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
    I have just been emailed by my Umbrella as I start my gig next week (Parasol btw)

Asking about Pensions. I have never joined one before and I know I should.

However the Email is very appealing and talks about tax breaks. Does this mean tax breaks just for the money that I dedicate to the pension or towards my actual take home pay as well?

Is this generally a good idea? I have scheduled a call to chat to them but I imagine they are going to push me towards it so I could use a second opinion.
    I believe that your umbrella company has already passed its staging date for auto-enrolement and therefore they should have advised you that you are already enroled in their pension scheme

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    The OP appears to have some of the characteristics of a Kender.

Leave a comment:

• Tasslehoff
    replied
    Paying into a pension can effect your take home pay because the gross value of the contribution increases your basic rate tax band. Pay £8,000 into a pension and instead of paying 40% tax at £41,450 you'll pay 40% at £51,450. An extra £10k at 20%.

Thanks, makes sense now!

An aside I know. but I do intend to go limited, my first contract I thought it might be a bit much to go Limited as well. On my next contract I intend to switch.

Tasslehoff was always my favorite as a kid, growing up though it obviously changed to Rastilin

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Silly question I know, but this does not affect you take home pay taxation (excluding any contributions obviously), just how effective your pension contributions are?
    Paying into a pension can effect your take home pay because the gross value of the contribution increases your basic rate tax band. Pay £8,000 into a pension and instead of paying 40% tax at £41,450 you'll pay 40% at £51,450. An extra £10k at 20%.

Leave a comment:

• Tasslehoff
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    You get tax relief on your pension contribution, but it will be taxed when you eventually take it out. But if you pay 40% tax now and a lower rate when you are a pensioner you should do better.

Also the money you pay into the pension does not need national insurance paying on it.

However the Parasol associate company that "sells" you the pension will rake off a commission they are not doing it for free.

Biggest problem I had with it was Parasol would pay the pension in preference to outstanding expenses which killed its merits for me.

Also you need to pick a fund within the pension scheme that makes good investment decisions over time, you can either try luck, spread your chances, or put some work into your choices.
    Silly question I know, but this does not affect you take home pay taxation (excluding any contributions obviously), just how effective your pension contributions are?

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    You get tax relief on your pension contribution, but it will be taxed when you eventually take it out. But if you pay 40% tax now and a lower rate when you are a pensioner you should do better.

Also the money you pay into the pension does not need national insurance paying on it.

However the Parasol associate company that "sells" you the pension will rake off a commission they are not doing it for free.

Biggest problem I had with it was Parasol would pay the pension in preference to outstanding expenses which killed its merits for me.

Also you need to pick a fund within the pension scheme that makes good investment decisions over time, you can either try luck, spread your chances, or put some work into your choices.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You mean I have to read loads of stuff .. not just have someone tell me..

/sigh

Fair enough..

Life sucks doesn't it

Leave a comment:

• Tasslehoff
    replied
    You mean I have to read loads of stuff .. not just have someone tell me..

/sigh

Fair enough..

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    <sigh>

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pe...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Leave a comment:

• Tasslehoff
    started a topic Contractor Pension

Contractor Pension

I have just been emailed by my Umbrella as I start my gig next week (Parasol btw)

Asking about Pensions. I have never joined one before and I know I should.

However the Email is very appealing and talks about tax breaks. Does this mean tax breaks just for the money that I dedicate to the pension or towards my actual take home pay as well?

Is this generally a good idea? I have scheduled a call to chat to them but I imagine they are going to push me towards it so I could use a second opinion.

Working...
X