• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hourly rate - employer checking timesheet?"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    If you only bill what you work why would you even worry, unless your asking the question because you know it's wrong

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by masonryan View Post
    No, he should say his hours are 7.5 then he'd probably get paid the same as for 10 hours for each day. You sound like you're on the other side from your posts. Are you an agent propagandist?
    That works if you're paid for a PWD. Since in this case the OP isn't (he's paid by the hour), then you work as many hours as you want and the client needs and bill for that time.

You are advocating a voluntary 25% cut in income. Many clients still expect the work to be completed, so you're now doing the same work in less time. Not really a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• PEEL
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Which then means he has restricted his income by 2.5 hours a day. Great move that. You are going to enjoy permie land. You are cut out for it.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Because they're always trying it on to get you to work more for less...
    You have just suggested he signs for 7.5 hours which is giving it to them on a plate.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 2 October 2013, 20:55.

Leave a comment:

• masonryan
    replied
    I am anti-******* moron and my alarm bells are going like there is no tomorrow.

What has maximising my income by negotiating the best deal allowing me to bill more hours got to do with agents?

Because they're always trying it on to get you to work more for less...

Leave a comment:

• masonryan
    replied

What has maximising my income by negotiating the best deal allowing me to bill more hours got to do with agents?

I'm not the one with a muppet on my profile.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    No, he should say his hours are 7.5 then he'd probably get paid the same as for 10 hours for each day. You sound like you're on the other side from your posts. Are you an agent propagandist?

Leave a comment:

• masonryan
    replied
    Which then means he has restricted his income by 2.5 hours a day. Great move that. You are going to enjoy permie land. You are cut out for it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Why do you do this? Before you sign any contract you should be asking them to define the hours. Might end up 7.5 after all!

Leave a comment:

• masonryan
    replied
    Originally posted by PEEL View Post
    Hi all,

Does anyone here have any experience of having timesheets checked when contracting on an hourly rate?

My contract has no defined minimum / maximum hours and I generally put in about 10 hours a day.
    Why do you do this? Before you sign any contract you should be asking them to define the hours. Might end up 7.5 after all!

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I have a graze box each day, I eat two sachets at 11ish and two at 3ish. At lunchtimes I go training outside. No one seems to mind, I train on the road outside the office (carrying sandbags, heavy water containers etc.) so they know where I am. I get stopped sometimes by people asking what I am doing - particularly if I am doing a mile run in full armour on Tuesdays but that is it.
    Point is you have developed a working relationship with the client and all parties are happy.

A surprising amount of contractors seem to struggle to do this (if the evidence on here is typical of the industry).

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by curtis View Post
    Ditto. I always have lunch away from my desk even if I go and sit in my car, which some people I think find odd but I will not stay at my desk for my break, it can be bad enough at times sat there the rest of the day in some places!
    I have a graze box each day, I eat two sachets at 11ish and two at 3ish. At lunchtimes I go training outside. No one seems to mind, I train on the road outside the office (carrying sandbags, heavy water containers etc.) so they know where I am. I get stopped sometimes by people asking what I am doing - particularly if I am doing a mile run in full armour on Tuesdays but that is it.

Leave a comment:

• curtis
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Personally I am either at my desk working or away at lunch and never the twain shall meet.

Keeps things nice and simple.
    Ditto. I always have lunch away from my desk even if I go and sit in my car, which some people I think find odd but I will not stay at my desk for my break, it can be bad enough at times sat there the rest of the day in some places!

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Personally I am either at my desk working or away at lunch and never the twain shall meet.

Keeps things nice and simple.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I used to work in bank where the entire thing was automated. My contract was 40 hours per week (i.e. not including lunch) and the submissions were automatically handled based on the times recorded from the swipe card logs.

I quite liked it as it was, basically, hassle free for me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X