• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Memorandum of Understanding"

Collapse

• 7specialgems
    replied
    Same concerns for me as others with this.

Old EB has lost contract with end client and both the end client and new EB want to contract with your Ltd.

Fine in principle - but check your contract with the old EB for handcuffs.

However, a MoA to make you and offer and take you on is an understanding with you and not your Limited. This is absolutely inappropriate.

You are negotiating a contract between your Ltd and the new EB and no less. It must be with your Ltd and nothing less than a contract will do.

That you have already held discussions for their hire of you the man/woman and not to reach an agreement for your Ltd to supply someone screams working practices at me and would make me nervous, irrespective of the paperwork. The conduct is relevant to the hypothetical contract.

Your call at the end of the day though.
    Last edited by 7specialgems; 13 July 2013, 17:31.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    That works well when you actually have something else to go to.

But when the client objects to being held to ransom and says "OK, good luck with that, then", you have a choice of either crawling and admitting that you lied, or walking into nothing.

Crawling back isn't going to strengthen your position if you want to negotiate an increase in the future, either.
    True, but not asking isn't going to get you a payrise either.....

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Start out by telling them you have had a better offer....
    That works well when you actually have something else to go to.

But when the client objects to being held to ransom and says "OK, good luck with that, then", you have a choice of either crawling and admitting that you lied, or walking into nothing.

Crawling back isn't going to strengthen your position if you want to negotiate an increase in the future, either.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Runs With Scissors View Post
    Because of course Agencies never lie......

Don't think of it as a lie, think of it as a negotiation tactic......
    And just look at the reputation agencies have for it. Just becuase they work unprofessionaly doesn't mean you have to or indeed should.

A lie is a lie. Not many other negotiation tactics can result in you losing the gig instantly. It's up to you but if you can negotiate properly there is absolutely no need to lie thefore risking losing all for no gain.

Just MHO but I think you will find clients have an even dimmer view of it than me.

Leave a comment:

• Runs With Scissors
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    ....unless that is a lie, in which case don't start that way. Get found out lying and you could lose the gig let alone the chance of a rise.
    Because of course Agencies never lie......

Don't think of it as a lie, think of it as a negotiation tactic......

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Hell yes. Go for your life! Even after it's been signed you can renegotiate it (though you are in a weaker position). Heck agencies/clients do it to us all the time so why not. Start out by telling them you have had a better offer....
    ....unless that is a lie, in which case don't start that way. Get found out lying and you could lose the gig let alone the chance of a rise.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by dicky1980 View Post
    am i within my rights to renegotiate my rate before i sign the formal contract?
    Hell yes. Go for your life! Even after it's been signed you can renegotiate it (though you are in a weaker position). Heck agencies/clients do it to us all the time so why not. Start out by telling them you have had a better offer....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Maybe it's a MoU(ReallyShouldUnderstandWhatUAreAgreeingToBefore USignIt)?
    V good.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    How come you have signed a MoU without really understanding what it is. Read the first two paragraphs of the wikipedia definition and see if you can work out the answer.
    Maybe it's a MoU(ReallyShouldUnderstandWhatUAreAgreeingToBefore USignIt)?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by dicky1980 View Post
    Hi,

I'm currently in a contract with a company to provide services to a client of theirs. This client has awarded the next contract to a new company. Both the end client and the new company want me to stay on and work as a contractor for this new company.

I've signed a memorandum of understanding with this company that they will put profile forward to the client, who in turn will accept me for the role. In the MoU we have a daily rate which we negotiated, i've recently discovered that they are taking a rather large margin. Given that i've yet to sign a contract with them, and that the end client want me to stay am i within my rights to renegotiate my rate before i sign the formal contract?
    You're within your rights to negotiate, that's what businesses do.

Given the potential impact on your IR35 status of even being offered such a document, I'd be looking for a HUGE increase to allow for that risk.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Sounds a bit like MoO to me.

Given that i've yet to sign a contract with them, and that the end client want me to stay am i within my rights to renegotiate my rate before i sign the formal contract?
    Do you really need an answer to this??!?!?!

How come you have signed a MoU without really understanding what it is. Read the first two paragraphs of the wikipedia definition and see if you can work out the answer.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 10 July 2013, 14:26.

Leave a comment:

• dicky1980
    started a topic Memorandum of Understanding

Memorandum of Understanding

Hi,

I'm currently in a contract with a company to provide services to a client of theirs. This client has awarded the next contract to a new company. Both the end client and the new company want me to stay on and work as a contractor for this new company.

I've signed a memorandum of understanding with this company that they will put profile forward to the client, who in turn will accept me for the role. In the MoU we have a daily rate which we negotiated, i've recently discovered that they are taking a rather large margin. Given that i've yet to sign a contract with them, and that the end client want me to stay am i within my rights to renegotiate my rate before i sign the formal contract?

Working...
X