• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bank Pre-employment Screening Credit File"

Collapse

• oliverson
    replied
    don't declare Jack sh1t. I have a mate with 4 existing defaults on his credit file (and no it's not me) and he's been through half-a-dozen banks without issue.

The cheek of it anyhow. We should be credit checking these f***ers - making sure they honor their contracts and don't cut rates!

Leave a comment:

• Jamietaylor2392
    replied
    Hi, apologies for reopening this thread, however, I'm in a similar situation and have a few questions.

Did you declare the defaults?

Did they mention them at interview stage?

If you could let me know, that would be great!

Congrats on getting the role btw!!

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    Originally posted by mushairo View Post
    I have just received a start date, it looks like I passed the pre-employment screening. Thanks guys for all your thoughts and advice really appreciate it. Really feels good to be returning to work.
    What did I say?

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It's normal.

There are actually 3 credit reference agencies plus a fraud data agency.

They don't combine information.

So you have to check all of them if you are in financial trouble as different companies use the different ones. So it's just by chance that all the companies you have had trouble with use Equifax, there as mine were split unevenly amongst Equifax and Experian with Callcredit showing nothing.

With the fraud data agency you have to do a Data Subject Access Request to see if they have information on you which costs £10.
    Not strictly true - I worked for a CRA for 5 years and most of the data should be the same. It all comes from the same sources and is shared between lenders and CRAs under what's called the Principal of Reciprocity. However, and it's a big one, this is a lot of data and lots of mistakes do happen.

Fraud information is stored on a system called CIFAS and entries would be kept with a credit report. If you have been convicted of a CIFAS related offence then it's very unlikely you'd get a job in a bank.

To go over a few of the other points in this post I was in the same position as the OP. Fell on tough times and had a single defaulted CC. It really can happen to anyone.

I got a contract a contract in London at a very large bank and spent a week bricking myself. They didn't ask for details so I didn't offer it, although I did tell the agency. They said don't worry about it and it was never a problem. That was an unsatisfied default that I was paying off. I then paid it off and got another contract at the same bank. They did a more formal check with an external company and it still wasn't a problem. As I understand it for basic bank screening they are looking at fraud or criminal behaviour. I think it also might depend on where you work. I was in HR so probably deemed low risk.

To the OP ? Don't worry, you can't change it now.

LOL. I should have read the rest of the posts - Congratulations and good luck !

Leave a comment:

• mushairo
    replied
    Originally posted by Taita View Post
    Excellent news.....good luck!
    Cheers mate!!

Leave a comment:

• mushairo
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Great stuff!! Good luck.
    Cheers mate, I was about to give up without even trying.... very silly.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by mushairo View Post
    I have just received a start date, it looks like I passed the pre-employment screening. Thanks guys for all your thoughts and advice really appreciate it. Really feels good to be returning to work.
    Excellent news.....good luck!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Great stuff!! Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• mushairo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    So you got away with a cover up so on that proof it is the right thing to do. If that is the case the just rob the bank rather than work for it. There are people out there that are living proof you can get away with that as well.
    Slight flaw in your argument is that one is a criminal offence and the other isn't. In my contract I don't think I saw the declaration by the bank that it was was rigoring the LIBOR rate nor sh4fting people by misselling PPI. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

Don't feel compelled to reply to every single user post btw, it's not a competition and it really isn't necessary.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    If I were the OP I'd declare nothing. Let them find out. You're probably worried over nothing. I'm living proof of that. Good luck.
    So you got away with a cover up so on that proof it is the right thing to do. If that is the case the just rob the bank rather than work for it. There are people out there that are living proof you can get away with that as well.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    I have a lot of experience on this issue as I work exclusively in the investment banking sector and have a number of defaults on credit cards brought about when I had my double dip recession (long story). Out of principal I'm not settling any of them because quite frankly the banking sector makes me sick. Bank of England base rate at an all time low yet the banks put the APR on their cards up to an alltime high. Parasites. I pretty much decided that I'd take a path that ensure every penny I paid off of these debts would service the debt itself and not just sustain it.

Anyhow, you can imagine the terror I felt when I eventually got off the bench after 5 months and most of my plates had stopped spinning and hit the ground, and was subjected to these checks. I've been through four lots of them now since my recession and with a lot to hide I was fearful. There was no relief landing that contract that I hoped would be my saviour because of these checks. The face that the very banks that the taxpayer had to bail out were now credit checking me was laughable. Anyhow, it hasn't made a difference, fortunately, to me being accepted/rejected.

Either way, the banking sector is dying now and as somebody else posted on this thread, there's a lot more exciting work to be had elsewhere. Maybe the rates aren't as high but the gap is narrowing given all the cuts at the banks. Just how much money do you really need anyhow? I regret being dictated to by rate over the last 6 years in particular and am looking to get back on track with what really matters.

If I were the OP I'd declare nothing. Let them find out. You're probably worried over nothing. I'm living proof of that. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Be honest, they won't want to employ a liar/fraud.

Leave a comment:

• mushairo
    replied
    Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
    Feel for you.

Having had stop/start contracts over the past near two years now I've not always been able to meet my commitments and have been in arrears on less than a handful of occasions. I had an interview lined up with a bank who's name would lead you to think they are very helpful or even CO-llaborative however 'failed' their credit check. Interview offer was withdrawn and cue much unpleasantries from me to the agent who to be fair had no power over the situation and could only agree at the stupid and inadvertently accusative process.

Catch 22 for some I imagine

Catch 22 for sure, as we are dying to work and pay our way, and when you are out you are bound to fall behind on some bills, I know there is the risk thing where banks are concerned, but if you look at the number of redundancies in this sector over the past 4/5 years we are talking thousands surely it's inevitable that a small number out of these will end up having financial issues as a result. It just doesn't make sense, these companies are also missing out on some seriously talented individuals. But it's not the end of the world, thankfully we can get in other industries. Having being on benefits for just over a year, I don't get people who are on benefits all their lives and are able bodied. It is just not the way to live, it does nothing for your self esteem. I know there are some companies out there that will hire us without all this fuss so I'll just keep trying.

My form is in waiting on feedback..

Leave a comment:

• Mephisto
    replied
    Feel for you.

Having had stop/start contracts over the past near two years now I've not always been able to meet my commitments and have been in arrears on less than a handful of occasions. I had an interview lined up with a bank who's name would lead you to think they are very helpful or even CO-llaborative however 'failed' their credit check. Interview offer was withdrawn and cue much unpleasantries from me to the agent who to be fair had no power over the situation and could only agree at the stupid and inadvertently accusative process.

Catch 22 for some I imagine

Leave a comment:

Working...
X