• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Credit Check for an interview???"

Collapse

• NickIT
    replied
    Originally posted by mcquiggd
    Sorry, I meant Leeson AND that chap whop took the Bank of Ireland for a ride AND that bank manager who was arrested recently.

Maybe it's almost as common as outsourced call centre fraud
    Not heard about the BoI one I must admit...

Fraud is far too common....and when we (IT) notice odd goings on we are either told to stand down and ignore it or (rarely...very rarely) to take action via the relevent authorities.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Originally posted by NickIT
    Leeson was Bearings Bank operating out of Singapore if memory serves...
    Sorry, I meant Leeson AND that chap whop took the Bank of Ireland for a ride AND that bank manager who was arrested recently.

Maybe it's almost as common as outsourced call centre fraud

Leave a comment:

• NickIT
    replied
    As for working without a contract (verbal or otherwise) .... not a chance.

If they really want to work for them they will resolve the contract issue. I have had that happen to me twice.

I tell the agents that without a contract I am not going to fulfill the requirement. I make that a condition of acceptance.

Been burnt twice and never again. If they (agent or company) have a problem with that...well....they can find someone else.

Leave a comment:

• NickIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    I can't. It serves no practical use. It is not a valid inidcator of whether someone is going to commit fraud or not. In fact, I'd argue that the most successful fraudsters would be rolling in it and would pass a credit check easily.

I refuse to have a personal credit check done, and as I see it, it's their loss. I have done a contract at RBS before and left just before they brought in compulsory credit checks. Occasionally I get a phone call from one of the PMs or the original pimp asking if I'd be interested in contracting there again. The answer is always no.

The way I see it, my personal financial status is none of their damn business. If they wanted to credit check MyCo though, that would be more appropriate and I'd have no problem with that, but of course they don't or won't.
    I understand why they do it...there is (I believe) a legal reason via SOX...maybe someone else can put the record straight on this...me not being a SOX expert. I just recall reading something about it.

That does not mean I agree with Credit Checks on people. I think you pretty state the reasons why. Especially about a serious professional fraudster and our current ID theft issues.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Why not send them one as well asking for confirmation that their business is above board, whether they are being invesigated by anyone, takeove bids, etc. stating that you're concerned about your future with them and do not wish to put yourself in a position where you may make a loss due to them.

I remember an interview with the Deutsche Bank in Frankfurt who I knew were going to outsource very shortly and I asked them for details about the security of the position. As they were unable to answer to my satisfaction I left.

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied
    RBS - Lorien

I thought they were OK. Although they told me that I could get out of the contract but RBS thought the opposite. I had to threaten to go on long term sick in order to get out.

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    I was put through Lorien as well.
    What did you think of them?
    I thought they lacked "added value".

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied
    Rbs

One thing to note with RBS, or at least when I was there, they like to be able to give you 4 weeks notice but their standard contract (as put out by the agency (Lorien in my case)), had no option for the contractor to leave early.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    I can understand banks doing credit checks...
    I can't. It serves no practical use. It is not a valid inidcator of whether someone is going to commit fraud or not. In fact, I'd argue that the most successful fraudsters would be rolling in it and would pass a credit check easily.

I refuse to have a personal credit check done, and as I see it, it's their loss. I have done a contract at RBS before and left just before they brought in compulsory credit checks. Occasionally I get a phone call from one of the PMs or the original pimp asking if I'd be interested in contracting there again. The answer is always no.

The way I see it, my personal financial status is none of their damn business. If they wanted to credit check MyCo though, that would be more appropriate and I'd have no problem with that, but of course they don't or won't.

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    Barings

Leave a comment:

• NickIT
    replied
    Originally posted by mcquiggd
    It's pointless... I wonder if Nick Leeson, that chap who took the bank of Ireland fo a few 100 mill, and that RBS bank manager who fiddled about with 21 mill had good credit histories....

Do they credit check their staff every 6 months????

I can understand banks doing credit checks...I think under SOX its also a requirement??? (I am sure there is a SOX person here...)

At least they are telling you they are running a credit check...if they do not they are breaking the law...you must give permission.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Failing a credit check is a hanging offense. Back on to the streets with you pauper!!!

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    It's pointless... I wonder if Nick Leeson, that chap who took the bank of Ireland fo a few 100 mill, and that RBS bank manager who fiddled about with 21 mill had good credit histories....

Do they credit check their staff every 6 months????

Leave a comment:

• Clog II The Avenger
    replied
    As an overall percentage, more banks and agents go into liquidation than contractors. Tell the agent you need to run credit checks on them first and you need the tree digit security number on the back of his corporate card.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Yes, but if all contractors refused to play ball they the clients might take notice.

BTW Why would this not work? Surely the clients are only doing these checks to make sure they are not taking on a risk. If that risk is underwritten then they should be happy.
    As I said I am not in that business so would be interested to hear any real reason.
    Yes but in the real world banks are unreasonable bastids and their processes have little to do with real logic.

I don't think a few contractors taking a strop will change their minds tbh.

Plus at the end of the day they keep me in gin and whores so one little CC for a decent paying contract isn't going to phase me too much

Leave a comment:

Working...
X