• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Given notice week before Xmas"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    One week at a time? Sod that....

I thought one month was bad. Pushed back on this last time and said no.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    My flaming client has been extending me weekly for the last 5 weeks (because the "Go \ No go" decision has been "No go!" for the last 4 weeks due to tulipe deliverables by a 3rd party!

I've just signed another extension for this week. But the place is chaos and I really, really wish I hadnt signed for this week and I've already told them this week is deffo the last whether "Go!" is approved or not..
    That's exactly what happened with me, I was extended week by week from end of Nov, until the 'no go' decision was made!

P

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    My flaming client has been extending me weekly for the last 5 weeks (because the "Go \ No go" decision has been "No go!" for the last 4 weeks due to tulipe deliverables by a 3rd party!

I've just signed another extension for this week. But the place is chaos and I really, really wish I hadnt signed for this week and I've already told them this week is deffo the last whether "Go!" is approved or not..

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    replied
    Agreed! Have to learn that lesson, was offered a couple of interviews a short while ago, should have went for them.

Looking forward to some quiet time and future planning anyway. It's been a relatively good year.

P

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    December 2011 - same thing happened to me. They paid me half my notice till middle of January - didn't tell them I'd already line up a new role from January 2nd
    That is proper contracting

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    December 2011 - same thing happened to me. They paid me half my notice till middle of January - didn't tell them I'd already line up a new role from January 2nd

Leave a comment:

• KpMrJ
    replied
    And another one

Well, you can add me to that list as well.

Advised me last week, funding for my role withdrawn for 2013......

So that means two weeks off and come back with a renewed CV for the new year, fighting fit & preferably find something closer to home
    I see it as an opportunity to re-evaluate where & what I'm doing and then target the areas where I'd like to move to next

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Get your CV updated and get ready for the projects that will kick off in the new year so start looking now and let the pimps know that you are available.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    My current client will be terminating a few this week. Great timing, but they have a lull over the next two months, but will be replacing them in March

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
    ...remind me why I'm a contractor again?
    Because you enjoy chatting to NLUK.

Still, if it's any consolation, you are the forth contractor I've heard from in the last two weeks who's finding themselves 'terminated' before the New Year.

Take a break for a few weeks and chill. If you find it impossible to do this, you are not cut out for contracting.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You appear to be in exactly the same situation as the thread linked below but seemed a bit more upbeat in that one...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...tart-week.html

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Talk about a wallowing self pity thread. Might appear to be the worst time of the year to get binned but the upturn is but a few (working) days ahead along with a new client, increased day rate closer to home.

Look on the bright side... This is why you are a contractor...

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    started a topic Given notice week before Xmas

Given notice week before Xmas

This will be my last week with current clientco, because they don't have the expected capex to keep me on.. remind me why I'm a contractor again?

Bad timing, but hey ho. ''Tis the season'.. I suppose the market is utterly dead for senior PM's/Prog Managers right now?!

P

Working...
X