• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interviews in a public place"

Collapse

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by AnnaO View Post
    I had an interview with an agency in a coffee shop, they had a job in mind for me apparently. However he did let slip that he had to meet a certain amount of candidates to make his stats...never heard from them again.
    I sympathise. The trick of course, as I'm sure you now know, is never to entertain being interviewed by an Agent whatever the venue. The ones that are serious and that have the contacts will get you in front of an actual decision maker at the end client. The ones that are just massaging their own egos make a pretence of interviewing you themselves for roles that they have neither the skill to assess your suitability for, nor the authority to offer you.

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Thanks for the insights, chaps. I'm just back. When I got there, they gave me a show round their offices (which were nice, but as they'd only just moved in there was still a bit of unpacking going on, so I could immediately see why they'd suggested the off-site venue).

We nipped around the corner to what turned out to be a relatively-quiet little tearoom, rather than a Starbucks, where we spent a pleasant couple of hours discussing the role and my background in relative privacy and comfort. There was a little noise at the busiest times, but tbh it wasn't very distracting. (The last time I had an interview of this nature it was in an onsite staff canteen, and there was a group of existing staff members noisily laughing and joking at the next table during their lunch break - that was far more distracting than the more professional hustle and bustle of a public tearoom). It was nice, and I think I'd do it again.

Just goes to show I shouldn't have been so hasty. Like most things in life, context and intent turned out to be important. In the context of them just having moved office, their intention in changing the venue was understandable. And, ultimately, they gave me the choice of whether we continued with the meeting at their office or used the venue they'd originally suggested. That kind of willingness to come and go reflects very well on their organisational culture.

Leave a comment:

• AnnaO
    replied
    I had an interview with an agency in a coffee shop, they had a job in mind for me apparently. However he did let slip that he had to meet a certain amount of candidates to make his stats...never heard from them again.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Maybe the interviewer wants an excuse to get out of the office. Or maybe they realise people get very nervous in formal interviews and are deliberately trying to help that. Or maybe they wish to show how the company is cool and caring.

And stop bickering in the professional threads just because someone took the time to remember something you posted before.

Leave a comment:

• Underscore Pt2
    replied
    Over the past few years ive had all my "interviews" in either coffee shops, cafes or pubs. I've also interviewed others whilst walking round the park. Finding a meeting room in any office now is almost impossible.

Leave a comment:

• Vandalay
    replied
    I've had a couple of interviews in coffee shops over the years and to be honest I like them. The interviewer is typically much more relaxed than they would be in the office, it feels much less like a job interview and more like an opportunity to sell a service and talk freely about what you have to offer.

Both times I got the job. Don't see the problem with it unless the interviewer decides to start discussing confidential information.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by farout117 View Post
    I've had interviews in public places and I find them to be the most unproductive. Very hard to concentrate, and nothing ever really good came up from them.

I try to avoid them as much as I can. Makes you wonder why they want to discuss business in a public place!
    I've had plenty in cafes, but not pubs. Might be to see if you can cope with distraction while being asked interview type questions.

I did get asked for what should have been a coffee, once and turned into a full blown grilling. but it was one of those meetings where there isn't really a gig behind it.

Did have a PDR when permie in a pub as my then boss thought it was a better way of getting an "honest evaluation".
    I wasn't capable of much after 3 bottles of wine. Was an interesting write up.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I have had an interview in a pub once, a quiet chat over a beer in a quiet pub. Do not see what the big issue is tbh.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    I'd never entertain meeting anyone for any business reason in a pub. It'd just immediately mark them out as rank amateurs to me.
    Surely it depends if they are buying lunch and a beer then it suddenly becomes acceptably professional, well in my book it would.

My favourite interview was the one where they actually asked if I smoked in the interview and then we promptly proceeded out to the office (non-public) terrace and drank coffee and smoked for the rest of the interview, I worked there for nearly 6 years.

Agree on Starbucks etc though, just not the place to discuss confidential information.

Leave a comment:

• farout117
    replied
    I've had interviews in public places and I find them to be the most unproductive. Very hard to concentrate, and nothing ever really good came up from them.

I try to avoid them as much as I can. Makes you wonder why they want to discuss business in a public place!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by captainham View Post
    Not a bread roll?

Leave a comment:

• captainham
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    EDIT - just to point out this was for a permie roll.
    Not a bread roll?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I once was asked to do a technical test in a coffee shop. I was left alone for 45 minutes. A couple of questions at the end I could not remember the answer to - something about reinterpret cast or some other obscure stuff that is rarely used and easy to google.

I remembered reading up on this stuff on the train - book in my bag. So I popped into the gents - got the answers - check a few other questions.

Of course I passed - but like most jobs where they start doing silly things nothing came of it.

EDIT - just to point out this was for a permie role.
    EDIT2 - roll = (captainham) role
    Last edited by BrilloPad; 1 October 2012, 09:37.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    I would never interview in a coffee shop or pub. Its either phone or the company office.

Hope that helps. Of course its my opinion and preference and I dont want you to take inspiration from it.

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
    PERMIE DETECTED.

Launching NLUK in 3...2...1
    As noted, it is for a permie position in this instance. The question is however equally valid for both types of interview.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X