• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Homework for an interview"

Collapse

• blacksta
    replied
    i Had one yesterday, Online assessment (although i think i flunked the online stuff as i hate timed execrises) plus a little script development exercise. I think it makes sense to weed out the walkers from the talkers

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    That's not unreasonable - you should be able to outsource the homework off to India and get superb results with plenty of cheapness well before the end of the week

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Had another call about a position.

Total homework is an on-line exam, a coding task for which I am allowed a week to complete and then a technical interview.
    B*gger that for a game of soldiers!

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Had another call about a position.

Total homework is an on-line exam, a coding task for which I am allowed a week to complete and then a technical interview.

Leave a comment:

• pootle
    replied
    Maybe slightly related, spent a day in the Summer at a leading IB making models of the solar system with coloured card and string. Although won a cheap pen for coming first never heard another word.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Twilkes View Post
    I spent about 4 hours on it, they liked it and I've got the job.

And due to a freak of timing, this evening I have the pleasure of putting my notice into internal mail and then jumping on a plane for a week's holiday in France.

Goodnight everybody!
    Excellent - sometimes it's worth spending a bit of time (not all weekend though!)

I think if you can demonstrate you know what you're doing by making a few observations and knocking up a sample, that should be enough to satisfy them.

Leave a comment:

• BS1397
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    If you decide to do it make sure that you DON'T leave the spreadsheets with them.

If they ask tell them that they'll have them if you get the job.
    Maybe PDF the summary results with a copyright notice watermarked across the pages just to make sure.

Leave a comment:

• Twilkes
    replied
    I spent about 4 hours on it, they liked it and I've got the job.

And due to a freak of timing, this evening I have the pleasure of putting my notice into internal mail and then jumping on a plane for a week's holiday in France.

Goodnight everybody!

Leave a comment:

• sbakoola
    replied
    Forget about it, I did some work for an IB interview, I didn't even get to the interview but a mate of mine told me that they used some of my code for their project.

Never, ever again will I do that. I will do written technical tests (1 hour ones) but not small projects .... no way.

Also I will not bother going to meet up with recruiters, its a complete and utter waste of time, they think they can 'add value' to the candidate just by sating that 'they've seen them'... utter bollox !

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    They went with my suggestion, so happy with that outcome.

And I've almost finished my chess piece counting program, who do I send it to???
    Me - as long as it is not in any programming language I have used

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

And I've almost finished my chess piece counting program, who do I send the invoice to???
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Twilkes
    replied

And I've almost finished my chess piece counting program, who do I send it to???

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Kanye View Post
    Unless you are desperate, turn it down on principle and explain why.
    This^

Leave a comment:

• Twilkes
    replied
    Emailed the agent back about it, asking how long the client expected me to spend on preparation, but he hasn't heard back from them yet.

Spoke to the agent just now (who is a genuinely good guy) and his view was to spend as long as it takes - if i think I could do a good job in a few hours (which I don't think I could) then do that, if it would take all weekend then that's what it takes.

I'm thinking I should offer to spend three hours on one of their sets of data and then feedback my findings using elements of the reports they talked about - if they can't make a decision on my skills after that then it's probably not the kind of place I'd be happy working. The phone call this afternoon already put me off my lunch, and I tend to trust my stomach on these things.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    What are the odds the OP has to email them in before the interview?
    Then I'd send a values only spreadsheet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X