• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How many roles do you have on your pipeline?"

Collapse

• dynamicsaxcontractor
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    ...and you've done your first day's work
    And at this point you start working towards your next contract sitting there waiting for you when you finish the one just started......

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by sunflower View Post
    Don't stop looking until you have the offer/contract in writing.
    ...and you've done your first day's work

Leave a comment:

• sunflower
    replied
    You also need to factor in the number of false adverts out there for reference and cv harvesting (probably at least 80%) and agents who supposedly have an opportunity but who are using your cv as bait for a new client. They often seek out permanent job adverts from companies from Monster and others and the try to place freelancers or perms with them.

Another agent ruse is putting the candidate through the recruitment process and half way, the client or agent reveals that the roles in permanent. Wasted your and their time.

There are those agents who will tell you the client is going to offer (especially to put you off any other offers you have in the pipeline) and then the role mysteriously gets cut due to budget constraints at the client or projects being cancelled.

Don't stop looking until you have the offer/contract in writing.

Leave a comment:

• Kelstar
    replied
    I apply to everything and anything within my skill set and minimum rate (that I would accept). Some roles I never hear back from, some interview and others leads to other work which was not advertised. I've had three contract roles, two of which were not advertised roles, and via blanket applications I got in touch with good agents who either made some introduction or sold me into the client.

Its an awful lot of phone calls and talking, but its worked for me. I don't like to put too many eggs in one basket and all that.

Leave a comment:

• aalvarez
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I apply for absolutely anything I think I can do - why would you only apply for 3?
    I'm on a niche market (outside the uk) where the probability of getting an individual contract is pretty high. Also, I don't limit myself to 3 contracts, if its taking more than a few days I increase the number of running applications accordingly.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I apply for absolutely anything I think I can do - why would you only apply for 3?

Leave a comment:

• insur
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    WNLUKS

I apply for any that I think are a good skills match.

Don't limit your opportunities, if you can do it well and have the experience then apply for it, else reword your CV and apply anyway.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    WTF?!?!? You apply for 3? F that!! I apply for every one I possibly can. If I have to interview 7 times a day and end up getting 3 offers then happy days.

If you have 3 in the pipeline and all 3 fail with other offers gone begging you only have yourself to blame. What kind of business limits the number of money making opportunities it is following?

Most ridiculous thing I have heard all day.
    WNLUKS

I apply for any that I think are a good skills match.

Don't limit your opportunities, if you can do it well and have the experience then apply for it.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    This has to be a sockie

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    WTF?!?!? You apply for 3? F that!! I apply for every one I possibly can. If I have to interview 7 times a day and end up getting 3 offers then happy days.

If you have 3 in the pipeline and all 3 fail with other offers gone begging you only have yourself to blame. What kind of business limits the number of money making opportunities it is following?

Most ridiculous thing I have heard all day.

Leave a comment:

• Ketchup
    replied
    Originally posted by aalvarez View Post
    Out of curiosity, when you are looking for your next contract, to how many roles do you apply simultaneously (i.e. where you know your CV has been submitted)? I try to keep 3 parallel applications running, more if they are taking long to decide or call me to an interview, but wondering if its perhaps too little.
    1, have never been rejected

Leave a comment:

• aalvarez
    started a topic How many roles do you have on your pipeline?

How many roles do you have on your pipeline?

Out of curiosity, when you are looking for your next contract, to how many roles do you apply simultaneously (i.e. where you know your CV has been submitted)? I try to keep 3 parallel applications running, more if they are taking long to decide or call me to an interview, but wondering if its perhaps too little.

Working...
X