• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: READ the resume!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "READ the resume!"

Collapse

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    If they read my cv they would know that I am hardcore Excel VBA contractor, with a little c# on the side.

So why TF do they ring up asking me if I am interested in a perm .NET team lead role!!!

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Yeah there's no such thing as a secure job anymore

Leave a comment:

• Mephisto
    replied
    I think this is pretty normal considering that so many more permie jobs appear to be available on ratio to contracts. I have a tendency to entertain the position providing it meets a minimum annual salary, decent client (sorry employer) and isn't further than a few feet from my door.

Most permie roles are at risk anyway for the first 12 months I reckon, so treat it as an opportunity to gain experience with a good company (if it meets the above criteria) and ruthlessly exploit them for all the free training they have, before leaving them in the s*** for your shiny new contract

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    I'll take that into consideration when I decide to incorporate it in April, thank you both for your advice

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    As it happens I am pedantic, but it honestly it is very useful to keep in mind always the complete distinction between you and a company you may happen to own.
    Totally WHS. This ever so slight change in thinking can make a huge difference to your understanding of your situation and finances. Many of the questions on here wouldn't be asked if people could grasp this.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Call it relative inexperience and no I wouldn't call you pedantic, I'd rather say thanks for clearing that up for me
    As it happens I am pedantic, but it honestly it is very useful to keep in mind always the complete distinction between you and a company you may happen to own.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Actually you're not Ltd. A Ltd Co (that you presumably own) is Ltd. That has nothing whatever to do with your taking a job.

You may call that pedantic but if you had kept that in mind, you wouldn't even have thought of asking the question in the first place.
    Call it relative inexperience and no I wouldn't call you pedantic, I'd rather say thanks for clearing that up for me

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Some contractors I've known have taken permie roles when nothing has been available just in the interim to tide them over I'm not sure how that works when you're LTD
    Actually you're not Ltd. A Ltd Co (that you presumably own) is Ltd. That has nothing whatever to do with your taking a job.

You may call that pedantic but if you had kept that in mind, you wouldn't even have thought of asking the question in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Wow, I'm in with the mods now! Watch it, NLUK, you're on a warning isn't he Cojak, we've both warned him, in a double-teamed scenario due to me in with the warders. Of course I meant mods, not warders....
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Some contractors I've known have taken permie roles when nothing has been available just in the interim to tide them over I'm not sure how that works when you're LTD

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    LOL!

I've been contracting for over 14 years and still get emails and calls about permie roles.

You'll get this irrespective of whether you have a lot of long contracts on your cv (as I have) or not. You just cant win with agents.
    I've been contracting since 1992 with the odd permie break and I still get 'fantastic opportunities" for a "PHP developer" despite the fact I'm not a developer for a "Buoyant Enterprise Company" in "London" (where's that?) for 18k a year, basically not far more than I invoice a month now. In the North...

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by yamamma View Post
    Been contracting for over 4 years, this is the first time i've been consistently called for perm roles. There seems to be a lot more perm roles atm compared to contracts on job boards as well....
    LOL!

I've been contracting for over 14 years and still get emails and calls about permie roles.

You'll get this irrespective of whether you have a lot of long contracts on your cv (as I have) or not. You just cant win with agents.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Wow, I'm in with the mods now! Watch it, NLUK, you're on a warning isn't he Cojak, we've both warned him, in a team warning-type scenario due to me in with the warders. Of course I meant mods, not warders....
    Oiiiii Crawly bumlick turncoat!! He called me an inbred, why do I get the warning.. Doh.. life is just not far.. <stamps feet>

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    WHS.
    Wow, I'm in with the mods now! Watch it, NLUK, you're on a warning isn't he Cojak, we've both warned him, in a team warning-type scenario due to me in with the warders. Of course I meant mods, not warders....

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    I have had calls about permie positions when I was looking for my first contract role, it's still quite lucrative for them to place people in permie roles otherwise they wouldn't bother trying to persuade people to take them up.
    I appreciate this, but surely it's an incredible waste of a pimp's time trying to persuade a bunch of contractors to take a permie role when they could (with only a tiny amount more effort) specifically target job-seekers who are actively seeking permie roles.

I would imagine that most contractors will tell the pimp to sod off, especially those with the temerity to put "CONTRACT ROLES ONLY" in bloody big bold letters at the top of their CV!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X