• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Minimum amount of work during notice period"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    No way, I'm on day rate, dunno about OP though.
    A friend has had his contract terminated as a mutual agreement, but still keeping the 4 weeks notice.
    The work is paid hourly. What is the minimum he/she has to do during the notice period?
    Keep up Scraggy keep up...

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    I would be tempted to do the work I am given but not to go looking for anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    FTFY
    No way, I'm on day rate, dunno about OP though.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    I recommended her to negotiate a shorter notice as it clearly is not going anywhere for either side, so why waste the time?
    If you are getting paid then the time is not "wasted". What's the alternative? Do nothing and not get paid? As long as I'm getting paid I'll turn up and do the hours. Yeah it might be boring as hell but it's only for a couple of weeks and then the new job starts.

Leave a comment:

• RobertRice
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    If you cant be certain whether your friend is a he or she or a he \ she, then I couldnt put too much weight on the rest of your question!

In any event, 'what's the minimum he \ she has to do'? WTF!? Are they on piecemeal or something?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    A friend has had his contract terminated as a mutual agreement, but still keeping the 4 weeks notice.
    The work is paid hourly. What is the minimum he/she has to do during the notice period?
    She's not very motivated, as there's another better paid contract waiting after xmas, but insists on trying to be as professional as possible...
    On the extreme, she could be doing as little as 1 or 2 hours per day but that would obviously be very close to not fulfilling the obligations as a business.
    I recommended her to negotiate a shorter notice as it clearly is not going anywhere for either side, so why waste the time?

When ever you give notice you work the hours you are suppose to work and don't slack as you never know when you will meet the same people again.

Also s/he probably has to do some hand-over documents, which can easily waste a week.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    She's not very motivated, as there's another better paid contract waiting after xmas, but insists on trying to be as professional as possible...
    On the extreme, she could be doing as little as 1 or 2 hours per day but that would obviously be very close to not fulfilling the obligations as a business.
    If you cant be certain whether your friend is a he or she or a he \ she, then I couldnt put too much weight on the rest of your question!

In any event, 'what's the minimum he \ she has to do'? WTF!? Are they on piecemeal or something?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    At this time of year, with it being quiet, I would be tempted to do 12-16 hours a day, whilst looking for a new role in the New Year.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    At this time of year, with it being quiet, I would be tempted to do 8 hours a day, whilst looking for a new role in the New Year.

Leave a comment:

• RobertRice
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I don't understand the question, you are still under contract so even if you are unmotivated I would hope that a contractor would have the work ethic do the needful, not just the minimum.
    yasockie's friend

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I don't understand the question, you are still under contract so even if you are unmotivated I would hope that a contractor would have the work ethic do the needful, not just the minimum.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    What is the minimum he/she has to do during the notice period?
    How on earth can we give you an answer to that? Not only can every situation be different but the persons ability to negotiate their workload make it even more impossible to give an answer.

Your option of negotiating quicker exit is the best option but she should be doing what she is contracted to do otherwise, motivation or not.

You say she is doing 1 or 2 hours a day. Is this is all she is billing for? Does the client know she is doing so little? I would find myself something to do, make myself look busy, bill and then go. None of this slacking most of the day and looking disinterested and bored. Permies get to slack during notice periods, contractors find something to do and look busy IMO.

Leave a comment:

• curtis
    replied
    Why negotiate a shorter notice period when you can continue to get 3 weeks money till you finish.

Unless I wanted the break or had no care for the money then I would stick with it and get the cash as its been agreed.

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    started a topic Minimum amount of work during notice period

Minimum amount of work during notice period

Working...
X