• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Every little helps."

Collapse

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    i.e. If one day my euro amount = £7000, and next day it = £6900, then thats £100 less to pay flat rate on (yes, I know its only £14.50)
    Are you quite sure about that? Exchange adjustments are just "other income" positive or negative. As such I would expect that to be included in the flat rate turnover. It is business income.

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    However, I've since learned you have pay your tax when the money is earned, not when invoiced, so, as tractor said, it would be stupid.
    This is a common error we pick up on when we take on a client from accountants who require their clients to use spreadsheets. The period of when the work was done is rarely checked, and so if a client raises an invoice on 1st November for work done in October, this will understate the profits etc.

This probably does not matter too much in the middle of the year, but if this is done at the company's year-end, then if HMRC poke their nose in, they will penalise the company for it.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Because if you have a history of invoicing on the last day of the month and the revenue do a random check on you, it is one of the first things that they look for - intentionally deferred profits.
    Well, I never knew that. I tend to invoice when I get around to it (within a few days of course).

Also, since I invoice in Euros, I want the rate to be as bad as possible on invoice day (you have to put converted sterling rate on invoice for VAT purposes). Probably doesnt make too much difference but its this figure that is used for flat rate vat repayment.

i.e. If one day my euro amount = £7000, and next day it = £6900, then thats £100 less to pay flat rate on (yes, I know its only £14.50)

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Yes - that was my thinking.

6 months at 21%, 6 months at 20%. So, if I was invoicing 10K at end of Oct, 5K would be at 21%, 5K at 20%. If that invoice was delayed till 1 November, it would be 10K at 20%, hence 0.5% saving.

However, I've since learned you have pay your tax when the money is earned, not when invoiced, so, as tractor said, it would be stupid.
    I thank you .....

I took the slap so that you don't have to.......

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    It will make not one jot of difference since profits are apportioned on a time basis not when the invoice was raised.

HM Revenue & Customs: Introduction to Corporation Tax

If your Corporation Tax accounting period doesn't coincide with the Corporation Tax financial year
    If your accounting period doesn't run from 1 April to 31 March it spans two Corporation Tax financial years. You'll need to apportion your company's taxable profits between the two financial years on a time basis.
    For example, if your company's Corporation Tax accounting period runs from 1 July 2008 to 30 June 2009:
    The first nine months (274 days) fall into the 2008-09 Corporation Tax financial year. So you'll pay tax on 274/365ths of your taxable profit at the 2008-09 rates.
    The remaining three months (91 days) fall into the 2009-10 financial year. So you'll pay tax on 91/365ths of your taxable profit at the 2009-10 rates.
    Yes - that was my thinking.

6 months at 21%, 6 months at 20%. So, if I was invoicing 10K at end of Oct, 5K would be at 21%, 5K at 20%. If that invoice was delayed till 1 November, it would be 10K at 20%, hence 0.5% saving.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    It will make not one jot of difference since profits are apportioned on a time basis not when the invoice was raised.

HM Revenue & Customs: Introduction to Corporation Tax

If your Corporation Tax accounting period doesn't coincide with the Corporation Tax financial year
    If your accounting period doesn't run from 1 April to 31 March it spans two Corporation Tax financial years. You'll need to apportion your company's taxable profits between the two financial years on a time basis.
    For example, if your company's Corporation Tax accounting period runs from 1 July 2008 to 30 June 2009:
    The first nine months (274 days) fall into the 2008-09 Corporation Tax financial year. So you'll pay tax on 274/365ths of your taxable profit at the 2008-09 rates.
    The remaining three months (91 days) fall into the 2009-10 financial year. So you'll pay tax on 91/365ths of your taxable profit at the 2009-10 rates.

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    MyCo year end at the end of the month.

Just twigged that if I invoice on 1st November rather than 31 October, I'll save 0.5% corp tax.
    You do realise you will have to pay tax on it the next year

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Guess you mean this. Had no idea it was an issue. Will invoice this year, and, with head hung low, will accept whatever insults NLUK cares to throw at me.
    Moi?? I seen you chew other posters up and spit them out with a knot tied in them.. I am keeping schtum on this one

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Guess you mean this. Had no idea it was an issue. Will invoice this year, and, with head hung low, will accept whatever insults NLUK cares to throw at me.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    and call you names? At present we can't do that
    Hmmm - wonder what that said pre-edit?

Mebbe I'll stay where I am then.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Because if you have a history of invoicing on the last day of the month and the revenue do a random check on you, it is one of the first things that they look for - intentionally deferred profits.
    Ah, I'm OK then - I have a history of random invoicing.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Why? Don't understand why accountant would have a problem with it?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Oops - sorry - meant to post in general. Could someone do the needful?
    and call you names? At present we can't do that
    Last edited by northernladuk; 25 October 2011, 19:00.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I thought I was being smart once and tried this. My accountant (rightly) slapped me and told me not to be so stupid lol
    Why? Don't understand why accountant would have a problem with it?

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied
    MyCo year end at the end of the month.

Just twigged that if I invoice on 1st November rather than 31 October, I'll save 0.5% corp tax.
    I thought I was being smart once and tried this. My accountant (rightly) slapped me and told me not to be so stupid lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X