• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interview and Rates negotiation"

Collapse

• Ruprect
    replied
    F&@k him, and chill out. Agents are 10 a penny.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Heaven forbid a contractor should ever lie
    I agree... I don't see the point though, you've a chance of getting caught and then you look like a right knob.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by craig1 View Post
    I really don't see the point in agents lying but some just make a habit of it. If he'd just dropped it then you could both have shrugged and moved on.
    Heaven forbid a contractor should ever lie

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    Originally posted by acontractor View Post
    The agent called this evening and wasnt happy with me contacting the client. I tried to tell him that I didn't knew it would have any implications (which I really didn't knew anyway).

He did mentioned that the telephone conversation in which he gave me feedback few days ago was recorded and he sent it to the client that the agency has given me the feedback (which I never denied.) He told me that I told the client that the agency didn't gave me any feedback (which is a LIE).

Anyway during the conversation I told the agent that I was not aware of the fact that it will be such a big deal. and it was purely for getting some technical feedback rather then "they found someone better". I also apologised about this to the agent.

I am worried about this now because the telephone conversation have been recorded and he told me it is being recorded. Am I going to be in some sort of Legal problem here? (for e.g. if the agency looses the client because of this then they might take legal action -- Long shot may be)
    It is illegal to record a call for commercial reasons (including any B2B or B2C calls) without first informing the caller that the call may or will be recorded. (Reg 3.2.c of this)

You can be a real nuisance with this as he's clearly bluffing but he's also admitted breaking the law. If you were really feeling difficult, you could extract a statement from them that they didn't record the call or even report them to the Information Commissioner.

I really don't see the point in agents lying but some just make a habit of it. If he'd just dropped it then you could both have shrugged and moved on.

Leave a comment:

• UsrBinPRL
    replied
    I am worried about this now because the telephone conversation have been recorded and he told me it is being recorded. Am I going to be in some sort of Legal problem here? (for e.g. if the agency looses the client because of this then they might take legal action -- Long shot may be)
    If you ask me the agent is just trying to scare you. It would cost them far too much time and money for absolutely no reward.

UBP

Leave a comment:

• acontractor
    replied
    Recorded phone

The agent called this evening and wasnt happy with me contacting the client. I tried to tell him that I didn't knew it would have any implications (which I really didn't knew anyway).

He did mentioned that the telephone conversation in which he gave me feedback few days ago was recorded and he sent it to the client that the agency has given me the feedback (which I never denied.) He told me that I told the client that the agency didn't gave me any feedback (which is a LIE).

Anyway during the conversation I told the agent that I was not aware of the fact that it will be such a big deal. and it was purely for getting some technical feedback rather then "they found someone better". I also apologised about this to the agent.

Leave a comment:

• UsrBinPRL
    replied
    A couple of years ago, for the first time in a decade a client asked me what rate I was after during a phone interview. When the client pushed I gave the figure of £45p/h that I had agreed with the agent. Client said "Oh that's good then as we've agreed £60p/h in total to the agency"

Shortly after, I was offered the role but at a greatly reduced rate. When I insisted on the previously agreed rate the agent said that their margin didn't allow them to offer me that. I left the agent with the option of my £45p/h or I'd turn the role down and the agent took the latter option.

I left the client a very polite voice mail explaining that the agent had dropped my agreed rate considerably and was unwilling to move. Sadly for me the agent had an exclusivity agreement with the client and so we all lost out as he wouldn't budge on his cut.

UBP

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Hi,

I have called back the client directly about the feedback. They gave the same feedback and said they would be happy to give me a call directly next time.

However I got call from the agent (which I missed being at work at the moment). I think the agent might not be very pleased with me calling the client. The call was not to snitch the agency's client but to get more detail feedback.

Did I made a mistake ? (I personally dont think I did) Does this have negative effect on my furture applications? I am tiny bit worried about this.
    I wouldn't bother chasing to phone them back. If they do phone you again, and they do get shirty, just play dumb, ask what the problem is? Why is that a problem etc.

Don't make a big deal about though.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    I understand your point. But for the sake future applications (or for limiting the damage done) should I call the agent back to clerify that it was not in my intention to create problem with the client it was purely for getting detail feedback?

PS It there anything such as blacklist among agencies ?
    As long as you've not been personally vindictive towards the agent then you'll be forgotten about by the end of this week (and yes, it is Thursday).

On your PS, no. I've annoyed enough crap agents in the past that I'd be living in a cardboard box by now if there were a blacklist!

Leave a comment:

• acontractor
    replied
    Originally posted by craig1 View Post
    If you're unsuccessful, you owe the agency nothing. They owe you nothing and you'll see it in how much they care about keeping in touch now.

Most agents won't go back for feedback for you regardless of what they say, they'll palm you off with a "the other guy fitted their needs better but you were a close second" to get you to go away.
    I understand your point. But for the sake future applications (or for limiting the damage done) should I call the agent back to clerify that it was not in my intention to create problem with the client it was purely for getting detail feedback?

PS It there anything such as blacklist among agencies ?

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    In which case should I call back the agent about this? (Not calling back would make things worse?)
    If you're unsuccessful, you owe the agency nothing. They owe you nothing and you'll see it in how much they care about keeping in touch now.

Most agents won't go back for feedback for you regardless of what they say, they'll palm you off with a "the other guy fitted their needs better but you were a close second" to get you to go away.

Leave a comment:

• acontractor
    replied
    In which case should I call back the agent about this? (Not calling back would make things worse?)

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    Hi,

I have called back the client directly about the feedback. They gave the same feedback and said they would be happy to give me a call directly next time.

However I got call from the agent (which I missed being at work at the moment). I think the agent might not be very pleased with me calling the client. The call was not to snitch the agency's client but to get more detail feedback.

Did I made a mistake ? (I personally dont think I did) Does this have negative effect on my furture applications? I am tiny bit worried about this.
    As others have mentioned, I've asked for direct feedback a few times. Mainly for the interviews where I thought I was nailed on for the role and it's a client right in the middle of my target range. Once resulted in me getting angry with the agent because the feedback is that I was "too expensive" and I found I was being pimped out at a shamefully high rate compared to what I'd discussed with the agent. Another was a misunderstanding, client thought I was averse to travelling to other sites when they needed flexibility, I corrected them very politely, we agreed that it was a miscommunication, probably my fault, and I got a role with them without interview about two years later with the same guy.

Agents never like you going directly to the client for feedback, probably paranoia that you'll poison their relationship somehow.

Leave a comment:

• acontractor
    replied
    Called back client

Hi,

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Hi,

Thanks for all your input. I got the response from the agency that I didnt got the contract. The agent said that they found someone who was nearer (I was travelling about an hour). The interview itself went really well and I thought interviewer was interested.

Personally I don't believe what the agency said.

What is your take on that? Should I contact the employer directly to find out the real reason?

thx
    I've phone one or two clients in the past to find out why I didnt get the role. If you arent happy with the agent's answer, contact the client and ask them if they'd mind giving feedback.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X