• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Invoicing for Parking"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    I wouldn't have a contract which stipulates that I had to have a car to turn up to other sites if I had more than one type of vehicle.

I would have got the clause changed by one of my lawyers to say "vehicle".

Then if the client complained (I doubt their would be any complaints from the client site would as most people I know are impressed by bike riders and you take up less room if you park properly) I would then ask for parking.

Off course if I was expected to carry equipment and it was already in the contract I would have costed it into the contract.

Leave a comment:

• tonygyles
    replied
    If they have asked you to travel to a place that is not your normal place of work then you can claim expenses from them. This includes : car hire, petrol, parking etc.

When you raise an invoice for time you can charge then for expenses plus add VAT on top. Hence the parking will now be 20% more for them.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You wouldn't happen to be claiming the 45p a mile limit for your motorbike would you per chance?? huh huh??

How you get to work is none of the clients business so if you use a cheaper alternative then thats good for you. I think he will assume you have a car and you use it so won't feel much sympathy with this argument.

You are right you shouldn't do business for nothing but there should be some degree of flexibility even if it isn't much. Doing business also includes getting a good reputation and building a good relationship with your client. Being a tight fisted penny pinching contractor is not doing that. For the sake of a couple of quid to keep out of your clients face with what he would deem petty issues could be worth more in the long run.
    I agree totally, I am not asking for them to pay parking just for me to turn up that would just be stupid, i am saying should they not pay for parking if they expect me to supply a car to go to satelite offices or on client business, i am not sure about the being tight bit, i parked in watford recently and it cost me £25 for the day so start adding that up

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You wouldn't happen to be claiming the 45p a mile limit for your motorbike would you per chance?? huh huh??

How you get to work is none of the clients business so if you use a cheaper alternative then thats good for you. I think he will assume you have a car and you use it so won't feel much sympathy with this argument.

You are right you shouldn't do business for nothing but there should be some degree of flexibility even if it isn't much. Doing business also includes getting a good reputation and building a good relationship with your client. Being a tight fisted penny pinching contractor is not doing that. For the sake of a couple of quid to keep out of your clients face with what he would deem petty issues could be worth more in the long run.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Going by his other threads I would say "as a ducks arse". I would imagine your mileage that you are claiming is worth more than the actual cost of the fuel so take it on the chin, your rearning £400 a day £6 for parking is nothing
    if the client had to hire a car they would have to pay all the costs for it, if they require me to supply a car then should they not be covering the costs.

its not a case of being tight its a case of I am not in business to do things for nothing, if its a legitimate business expense then why should they not cover it under the contract

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    err... what?
    Let me try and explain, I don't need to bring my car to work, i have a motorbike and i could catch the bus however there is a requirement for me to use my car for trips from the main client site to satelite sites, so as there is no other reason to bring my car unless i am using it for client business would you invoice for the parking on that day.

i am agree with northernladuk in that maybe i would just pay it but for future contracts i think its definately worth considering negotiating any parking at the outset if the client is especting you to have a car availble for client visits especially where they pay their permies car allowance and subsidised\free parking

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    My initial thought is your are taking the piss. Your client isn't going to be impressed with that but......

Thinking about it more there maybe a case depending on cost and how tight you are. Some places can be very expensive to park all day so could be a valid question. I would say the devil is in the details though, most of which we don't have as usual.

If you are genuinely incurring a hefty parking cost while away from the clients site and he is paying your mileage then I would approach the client and ask, gauge his reaction and then make a decision. I would make sure though it is a totally valid cost and you are not being lazy. If you can walk 10 mins to avoid it, do that.

If you are paying parking that is part of the contract i.e. to park at clients site for your day to day job then I wouldn't push that. It's not your clients business how you get to work and what you do with your car.

If you are talking a couple of quid a day I personally would suffer that so not to be seen to be a tight ass contractor. You can put this through your company instead to save a bit of cash.

HTH
    Going by his other threads I would say "as a ducks arse". I would imagine your mileage that you are claiming is worth more than the actual cost of the fuel so take it on the chin, your rearning £400 a day £6 for parking is nothing

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    If I am driving to a meeting away from the client site, I claim unless it is only 1 or 2 quid.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    My initial thought is your are taking the piss. Your client isn't going to be impressed with that but......

Thinking about it more there maybe a case depending on cost and how tight you are. Some places can be very expensive to park all day so could be a valid question. I would say the devil is in the details though, most of which we don't have as usual.

If you are genuinely incurring a hefty parking cost while away from the clients site and he is paying your mileage then I would approach the client and ask, gauge his reaction and then make a decision. I would make sure though it is a totally valid cost and you are not being lazy. If you can walk 10 mins to avoid it, do that.

If you are paying parking that is part of the contract i.e. to park at clients site for your day to day job then I wouldn't push that. It's not your clients business how you get to work and what you do with your car.

If you are talking a couple of quid a day I personally would suffer that so not to be seen to be a tight ass contractor. You can put this through your company instead to save a bit of cash.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    err... what?

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    started a topic Invoicing for Parking

Invoicing for Parking

If you have a contract that requires you to use your car for client business say 2 or 3 times a week would you invoice the client for parking for those days, as well as the mileage, even if you bring your car on the days your not out on client business

Working...
X