• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Advise needed on leaving current contract"

Collapse

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Whenever an agent asks a question where a negative might lead to them not putting you forward, just say "yes", if you think it's not relevant, or something you can pick up quickly. E.g. I see you've got experience of version 4.3.2.5.6.2.9, but do you have experience of 4.3.2.5.6.2.9a? Don't bother explaining to the agent why his question is stupid, just say "yes".
    +1

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Easy then. Tell the agent you're available immediately, and look all surprised when if the client mentions it, or looks perturbed when you say that you're available in 4 weeks.
    WHS.
    And it provides you with real-world feedback on how easy (or hard) it will be to get your next gig, so you can take the decision armed with better info.

Personally I would get another contract. Three years in the public sector? You must go to work in slippers and smoke a pipe!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Whenever an agent asks a question where a negative might lead to them not putting you forward, just say "yes", if you think it's not relevant, or something you can pick up quickly. E.g. I see you've got experience of version 4.3.2.5.6.2.9, but do you have experience of 4.3.2.5.6.2.9a? Don't bother explaining to the agent why his question is stupid, just say "yes".

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Easy then. Tell the agent you're available immediately, and look all surprised when if the client mentions it, or looks perturbed when you say that you're available in 4 weeks.
    Agreed.

My policy is to always tell agents I am available immediately because it's not uncommon for them to mess about for weeks getting everything sorted anyway. If the client really like you then they'll wait.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    That well may be but you have to get past the agent who, on most occasions, is only interested in getting his commission - preferably now rather than later.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by jerseyjoe View Post
    I worked in the Private Sector for 9 years prior to this contract although I have no PM experience in the Private Sector....so hopefully I won't be treated as a leper
    just don't tell anyone!!

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by jerseyjoe View Post
    Thanks for that 2BIT. I take it from your reply that like me you feel the 1 month notice period is going to weigh down my chances of a new contract elsewhere?
    not necessarily but you should negotiate no notice period if looking to renew. you are in the best possible position as you have a war chest and a potential extension so if you decide to stay negotiate a no notice or one week notice clause - bluff and make that your deal breaker and you'll probably get it - that way you can move quickly if need be and earn the bucks in the meantime - but don't stay 'as is' imho

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
    As a permie and a contractor I've never had a request for a reference. I think it's because permies have probationary periods, and contractors can be terminated at any time. Saying that, I've only worked in the private sector.
    WHS, been asked a thousand times by agencies fishing but have never needed references either permie or contract

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    1 month notice is perfectly acceptable by most reputable companies who want good staff, rather than taking what just happens to be available at the time.
    That well may be but you have to get past the agent who, on most occasions, is only interested in getting his commission - preferably now rather than later.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by rd409 View Post
    That's not true. I have been sidelined for quite a few gigs, over last few years, just because I had 2-3 weeks availability time. I have only had one client who waited for me for a month so far. It's not always required, but when you are available asap, it makes you a lot more desirable.
    I'd actually suggest the agent did not even give the clients the option to refuse you.

Leave a comment:

• rd409
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    1 month notice is perfectly acceptable by most reputable companies who want good staff, rather than taking what just happens to be available at the time.
    That's not true. I have been sidelined for quite a few gigs, over last few years, just because I had 2-3 weeks availability time. I have only had one client who waited for me for a month so far. It's not always required, but when you are available asap, it makes you a lot more desirable.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    Out of interest, how do you know this?
    Never stuck any references on my CV and never given them out to agencies.

Leave a comment:

• jerseyjoe
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Your biggest problem is probably that you have been working for local government. To most private sector organisations that is slightly less desirable than leprosy.
    I worked in the Private Sector for 9 years prior to this contract although I have no PM experience in the Private Sector....so hopefully I won't be treated as a leper

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
    As a permie and a contractor I've never had a request for a reference. I think it's because permies have probationary periods, and contractors can be terminated at any time. Saying that, I've only worked in the private sector.
    Out of interest, how do you know this?

The request would go to individuals you have nominated as referees.

Or have you never been asked to provide any or, if you have, they have fed back to you that they haven't been contacted.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X