• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Slides from Barcamp Presentation on Contracting"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    I've always understood "warchest" in our context to simply mean "savings required to live", regardless if still in your Ltd or in your own bank account.
    It should be on the slides anyway as it's a down side of contracting. Even if you are ok for years and years there is usually a period where you are screwed due to events outside your control.

Leave a comment:

• matzie
    replied
    Could that be the Slideshare ads? You can close them. Looks fine for me on Chrome on Mac once the ads are closed.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Looks good, but Im getting a lot of the slides with the missing last line cut off.

Both in Chrome and IE.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

2. It allows you to build the war chest and keep an income stream when you aren't working. Umbrellas don't and post October will still only give you NMW (which you'll have to fund...)
    I've always understood "warchest" in our context to simply mean "savings required to live", regardless if still in your Ltd or in your own bank account.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Good presentation - just one comment to make particularly due to the questions that come often come up a lot on here.

On the Umbrella company slide it's not stated that employer's NI is paid out of your money. You did however clearly state that expenses, employees NI and income tax where.

Oh and there is no opt-in/opt-out slide.

Leave a comment:

• matzie
    replied
    Agreed; I did say some of that stuff in the presentation but of course a slide deck intended to support a face-to-face presentation is quite a different beast to one intended to stand alone without a presenter. Maybe I'll create a version like that with more text later.

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    And call me a grumpy old git but to me contracting is not about money, it's about freedom and challenges.
    I'd agree. When it comes to hiring contractors, my current employer has a strong bias towards ones who have a plan-b on the go, and aren't just permie-tractors in it for the extra dollar. Partly because they've usually got more initative, and partly because they're the ones who are ultimately going to help the economy .

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Nice although I think you missed a bit (unless it was in the actual presentation)...

There are three key points to having your own company in the current market

1. Agencies won't use you without one (or an umbrella). S44-47 is still with us (and a bigger problem than IR35...)

2. It allows you to build the war chest and keep an income stream when you aren't working. Umbrellas don't and post October will still only give you NMW (which you'll have to fund...)

3. It provides a degree of limited liability.

And call me a grumpy old git but to me contracting is not about money, it's about freedom and challenges.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by darrenb View Post
    Those are cool slides but what's with all the pictures of prostitutes?
    We are the whores of the IT industry and the agents are our pimps...

Leave a comment:

• matzie
    replied
    Heh, there's two pics that were just covers for jokes.... Jessie J I already mentioned, the other was a pic of Rihanna holding an umbrella-ella-ella... "Should you stand under an umbrella?" etc. No prostitutes, but I was going to have a slide with a classic 70s pimp to talk about Agents.

Good point about going direct, although I'm not sure I could squeeze it into the overview diagram without making it too busy. Maybe I'll add it to the broken-out version later on.

cheers

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Those are cool slides but what's with all the pictures of prostitutes?

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    I would probably add End Client -> Your company to slide 4 for contractors who go direct.

Leave a comment:

• matzie
    started a topic Slides from Barcamp Presentation on Contracting

Slides from Barcamp Presentation on Contracting

Today I went to Barcamp Sheffield where I gave a short presentation on Contracting and the various structures, taxes and terms involved. Feedback on the material from attendees and an accountant who was present was good so I'm posting a link to my slides here in the hope that it's helpful to newcomers in future.

Everything you always wanted to know about contracting (but were afraid to ask)

It's not a fully stand-alone guide (ie there's less detail on the slides than I actually gave) and some slides are just pictures (eg picture of Jessie J - it's not about the money, money, money (but actually it kind of is)) but hopefully there's still enough meat on the bones to be useful.

Feedback and especially corrections or suggestions gratefully accepted!

Working...
X