• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should I take renewal even if I don't want to stay..."

Collapse

• SneakySimon
    replied
    Take it and run.........

In an uncertain market, I would always say take the extension then quit if you find something better to move on to.

Not particulary concerned about the client as have had previous contracts end suddenly when the funding drys up or the project changes - they don't take any hesitation on booting you out!

Only tricky is the agents always want you to be available immediatly, though I have yet to see any role turnaround between offer and start in less than 3 weeks (I am banking so the background checks take some time) so always give the agent a bit of BS about holiday etc.

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Leaps in with his 2c worth...

My contract just came up for renewal and I was offered another year. I wasn't fussed about doing any more time at my current client and they declined my request for a rate increase so I was going to decline the offer and have a holiday and then start looking. However I was advised by my agent to just take the extension, then look for another contract (my dream contract) at my own pace without having any pressure of needing to find another contract quickly to keep the coffers full. This advice was also deemed wise by another friend of mine who is an agent.

I spoke to my manager and said that I wasn't happy with the lack of rate increase and even though I am accepting the extension it is... just quietly... unlikely that i will be here at the end of the year. She said 'fine, that makes sense'.

Have an interview this Friday... otherwise things are fine here still with original client. If I don't get the contract after Fridays interview, then I'm not worried. I don't as a rule bail midway thru a contract, but if like me you are doing piecemeal work and leaving isn't going to send your client co to the wall then do whats best for YOU.

I've never pissed off a client by leaving early, and never been on the bench either in 20-odd years.

To paraphrase Steve Miller - "woah take the extension and run, do do do..."

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Firstly leaving a project is harder than leaving a support role as they are often heavily reliant on schedule- that's besides the point though

if they have got a weeks notice but you are not allowed to give notice then I would negotiate that, if you already have a weeks notice your side try and negotiate that down to a days notice - that way can carry on earning and if something better comes along you can leave

so don't worry about the moral but worry about the legal/professional and negotiate favourable terms for yourself.

Leave a comment:

• wantacontract
    replied
    Originally posted by robin View Post
    Yes I think you are right I know that is probably what I will do but I suppose I just feel a bit guilty for some reason hence the post.
    I know about the guilt thing mate, but after a couple more contracts, it'll disappear.

Just think in a few months, you'll be somewhere else, and once you get used to the nature of the beast, moving from one client to another, you'll start feeling less stressed about workload and their problems. Just do what you can and no more...as in don't do free overtime.

Leave a comment:

• stacks
    replied
    I have always stayed the full length of the contract I signed but on my last one the programme stratergy changed overnight and I got binned with 4 days notice even though I had recently signed a 3 month extension. So now as long as it's within the letter of the contract I would have no problem walking early, they would do it to you in a heartbeat so all this "you made a commitment....bolox"

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Get yourself some time off booked, really breaks up a tough 4-monther if you have a couple of separate weeks off planned. Don't sweat the money, you will still be better off than bailing. Lets them appreciate you a bit more too !!
    In the meantime, stay and start looking.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Since when do contractors feel guilt?
    I can do guilt, for let's say another £8/hour.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    My issue here is, long story short -

-brought in to help with a backlog
    -1 other person on site with 400 users
    -other person left, they asked if I wanted to stay and take job.
    -agreed as contractor.
    -Way too much work for 1 support person, has been mentioned but falls on deaf ears, management not on this site.
    -starting to stress me out a bit hence why I don't want another 4 months of it but don't want to be out of work no money coming in either given I can carry on working here for now.
    Again with the <pedant> and it is a short explaination but taking on the permies guy role but only as a contractor? Could be IR35 flag here as well so another reason to think about leaving if you want one.

Either way, from what you have said I would go with Scrag Meisters summary. Sign, and look around and do what is right for you in this case. Sounds like it is justified.

Baloney. Just because we chose to find our work in this way doesn't mean we suddenly become devoid of basic human nature and a sense of professionalism. Granted it comes in different levels in each of us but a sweeping comment such as that does not cover the whole contracting community.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Yes I think you are right I know that is probably what I will do but I suppose I just feel a bit guilty for some reason hence the post.
    You feel guilty because you made a commitment and expect yourself to live up to those commitments. In the same way, you probably expect a client to live up to the commitments that they make to you.

If I'm crap, then get rid of me early. But if I'm not, then I get annoyed if I'm let go early because the client can't plan properly.

I'd plan some holiday, and then suggest that because you are probably going to be having a break, negotiate to a two month contract and start looking. If nothing comes up, then you can always cancel your break and stick around longer - it does exactly what you are planning anyway, but manages expectations.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied

Leave a comment:

• robin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Ok, I'll make the decision for you.

1. Renew contract for 4 months to keep the money flowing.
    2. Start looking for another contract
    3. Leave with the required 1 weeks notice when you find one.

I think is what you were talking yourself around to anyway.

Money tick, Contractually ok tick.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Northernladuk you are right and I would never leave a contract/turn down a renewal unless I had very good reason. I know if I just left contracts for silly reasons the next one might be the same and the next and so on, so yes could find myself out of work more than in.

-agreed as contractor.
    -Way too much work for 1 support person, has been mentioned but falls on deaf ears, management not on this site.
    -starting to stress me out a bit hence why I don't want another 4 months of it but don't want to be out of work no money coming in either given I can carry on working here for now.
    I'm not a support guy, but why let it stress you?

You ALWAYS have a get out clause..... we need more people!

Leave a comment:

• robin
    replied
    Northernladuk you are right and I would never leave a contract/turn down a renewal unless I had very good reason. I know if I just left contracts for silly reasons the next one might be the same and the next and so on, so yes could find myself out of work more than in.

-agreed as contractor.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Nothing wrong with signing and then using your week's notice, if that's what you've got. It wouldn't have been in the contract otherwise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X