• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Need a contract quickly"

Collapse

• monkeyrhythm
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Not forgetting the agent will just get you in front of the client. You still have to pass the interview!
    The interview's the easy bit

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by monkeyrhythm View Post
    This was my point, in situations where there are a number of similar candidates I think many of us would be happy giving the agent a differentiating bung and I'm sure a number of agents would be happy accepting it; the difficulty is more in broaching the subject in the first place.
    I simply suggested the plasma as an expensive 'gift' maybe more palatable than cold hard cash as arguably it has a bit more plausable deniability.

I've never done it myself, I'm just curious to know if anyone has (it's a fair point that people may not be happy to own up to it though).
    Not forgetting the agent will just get you in front of the client. You still have to pass the interview!

Leave a comment:

• monkeyrhythm
    replied
    This was my point, in situations where there are a number of similar candidates I think many of us would be happy giving the agent a differentiating bung and I'm sure a number of agents would be happy accepting it; the difficulty is more in broaching the subject in the first place.
    I simply suggested the plasma as an expensive 'gift' maybe more palatable than cold hard cash as arguably it has a bit more plausable deniability.

I've never done it myself, I'm just curious to know if anyone has (it's a fair point that people may not be happy to own up to it though).

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Even though contractors tend to not think much about agents I would hope tlike to think that most of them are beyond taking bribes for work! Send him a bottle of wine, thank you cigar and keep him sweet maybe, be a good contractor for him, solid earner with no crap and he will come for you. Giving them a bung for a job I would think is just a total waste of time.
    1) We will never know, will we? Anyone who's done it is highly unlikely to admit it, even on an anonymous board
    2) Given that I've been ignored for jobs I'm perfect for, I'd have no qualms about doing it. And if I were an agent under financial pressure, I'm sure I'd be tempted by some tax free loot, especially if all the candidates were of a similar quality anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Remember also giving the agent 5% isn't giving him 5%.
    Well, it could be...

Boo

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    But how would that work for an IT contractor?
    "Hey, give me the contract and I'll fix your pc and install Mcafee Antivirus for free?"

I think hard cash is more likely to work.
    Even though contractors tend to not think much about agents I would hope tlike to think that most of them are beyond taking bribes for work! Send him a bottle of wine, thank you cigar and keep him sweet maybe, be a good contractor for him, solid earner with no crap and he will come for you. Giving them a bung for a job I would think is just a total waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by monkeyrhythm View Post
    Anyone ever given a more traditional back-hander to an agent? e.g. if I get the job I'll send you a 'spare' plasma I got as part of a deal with a disti....
    This may come across as though I'm trolling but it's a serious question; I've spent a good chunk of time in and around resellers/solution providers and this a more common sales tactic than one might think - it wouldn't surprise me to learn agents could be receptive to this too.
    But how would that work for an IT contractor?
    "Hey, give me the contract and I'll fix your pc and install Mcafee Antivirus for free?"

I think hard cash is more likely to work.

Leave a comment:

• monkeyrhythm
    replied
    Anyone ever given a more traditional back-hander to an agent? e.g. if I get the job I'll send you a 'spare' plasma I got as part of a deal with a disti....
    This may come across as though I'm trolling but it's a serious question; I've spent a good chunk of time in and around resellers/solution providers and this a more common sales tactic than one might think - it wouldn't surprise me to learn agents could be receptive to this too.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by XperTest View Post
    Your other proposed USP (going in below average market rate) carries more weight as most if not all companies will be very cost conscious at the moment. Get a contract at a lower than average rate, prove your worth than negotiate at contract extension time. Not sure how you can influence the take the agent gets however, so this may only be a viable approach when the agent is on a fixed fee and has been instructed to consider cost over quality (which is quite common given the current state of the market).
    It would carry more weight if it was approached properly. Slipping the agent a backhander by offering him 5% extra isn't the way to do it. Remember also giving the agent 5% isn't giving him 5%. He will get a percentage of the profit, the rest will go to the company so this looks even more unnattractive as a personal gain.

Negotiating a lower rate to increase the return for the agent is ok. Here mate I will give you 5% if you get me the job isn't.

Leave a comment:

• XperTest
    replied
    I think you fail to see that being available to start quickly/immediately is not a differentiating quality in this market, where there will be dozens of candidates for each role, most of whom will be benched and ready to start on very short notice if needed. As a contractor, there is not much you can do to speed up the decision making process at the client, so the same rules will apply to you that do to all your competitors.

Your other proposed USP (going in below average market rate) carries more weight as most if not all companies will be very cost conscious at the moment. Get a contract at a lower than average rate, prove your worth than negotiate at contract extension time. Not sure how you can influence the take the agent gets however, so this may only be a viable approach when the agent is on a fixed fee and has been instructed to consider cost over quality (which is quite common given the current state of the market).

Leave a comment:

• Oscar
    replied
    Short contracts -good idea.

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    OP
    Are you getting confused between 'quickly' or short-term?
    No - its my question! I mean getting a contract quickly, and getting it easier because they need somebody quickly.

I spent a year or so doing 'short-term'. ie. Always available next day, location no problem, 2/3/4 days , 1-2 weeks etc. I had a reputation for it with a number of agents and would get phonecalls.
    Otherwise, I'm not sure what you are really asking.
    Could be an idea - since the market is a bit "thick" where I live (It could be easy to find a short term contract in a "thinner" area).

How would I search for them? In my work area a short contract is usually meant to be extended if they are happy with you.

Leave a comment:

• Saddo
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I've had it more than once.
    Any pics?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Really??? Tell us more??

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Saddo View Post
    It doesn't stop the agents wanting to know if you could start tomorrow.

I've been contracting for years and there hasn't been a single occasion where the gap between initial call, interview and start date has been within a week. Most times it is up to 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Saddo
    replied
    Originally posted by Aman View Post
    If you want no fuss, no questions asked immediate start then it isn't going to happen in IT
    It doesn't stop the agents wanting to know if you could start tomorrow.

I've been contracting for years and there hasn't been a single occasion where the gap between initial call, interview and start date has been within a week. Most times it is up to 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X