• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Long holidays and CVs"

Collapse

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Did you ever feel/know if any pimps rejected your CV outright due to these gaps. I have heard some pimps do that.
    I really don't give a hoot what pimps think, it's the clients that I am here to impress. If they reject me (and I'm sure they routinely reject people for the most arbitrary reasons anyway) then it's their loss, not mine. Move along, there are plenty of others who will put me forward for the gig.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to leave last month off my CV.. err.. contractor profile, and see how I get on this week.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    I've gone walkabout and put gaps of 7. 9 and 12 months on my CV and I had a ball doing all of those breaks, you just need a reasonable explanation of what you were doing - just make sure it sounds constructive!

1 month off? That's called a "holiday". You don't have to work your self 24/7 you know. Don't even bother trying to explain it.
    Did you ever feel/know if any pimps rejected your CV outright due to these gaps.

I have heard some pimps do that.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by youwhut View Post
    The exact wording on my CV. I have not struggled to find work since.

Contractor Profile.

Leave a comment:

• youwhut
    replied
    Oct 2008 – Apr 2009 Career Break

Travel to California, South America and Australia.

The exact wording on my CV. I have not struggled to find work since.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Don't worry about it for the moment - a 1/2/3 month gap is acceptable given the current market. Not sure what the upper limit would be before agents would start questioning suitability - other posters may be able to advise.
    I've gone walkabout and put gaps of 7. 9 and 12 months on my CV and I had a ball doing all of those breaks, you just need a reasonable explanation of what you were doing - just make sure it sounds constructive!

1 month off? That's called a "holiday". You don't have to work your self 24/7 you know. Don't even bother trying to explain it.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I do find it frustrating that contractors are questioned at ALL about CV gaps. My two gaps are 1. out of choice and then 2. maternity leave. Beyond proving I wasn't in prison during those times, I don't feel it's anyone's business why I have gaps. I'm a contractor FFS.

Rant over, and in conclusion, don't worry about a gap like that.
    Same here, all my gaps are out of choice. It's also a good way of spotting neurotic pimps and permies.

As for a month don't worry about it.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Don't worry about it for the moment - a 1/2/3 month gap is acceptable given the current market. Not sure what the upper limit would be before agents would start questioning suitability - other posters may be able to advise.
    Depends on how thick the agent is.

Seriously half of agents who question it do it so they know that if the client asks you at interview you have a good reason for it. So if they ask you tell them the truth. You may find that the client has gone to the places you have been as well.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    **** that! A break of a month is neither here nor there. And if prospective clients ask you to explain the gap just tell them you run your own business!

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    I do find it frustrating that contractors are questioned at ALL about CV gaps. My two gaps are 1. out of choice and then 2. maternity leave. Beyond proving I wasn't in prison during those times, I don't feel it's anyone's business why I have gaps. I'm a contractor FFS.

Rant over, and in conclusion, don't worry about a gap like that.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    I've just taken a holiday for a whole month and I'm now back on the contract hunt. The holiday wasn't a relaxing sun and sand hoiliday, it was more of a travelling and exploration trip, and I think of it more as a mini sabattical.

Does anyone put this kind of thing on their CV rather than leaving an unexplained gap? or am I just making a fuss about nothing? I'm just paranoid about agents thinking I've been unplaceable for a whole month.

Thanks,

CS

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    started a topic Long holidays and CVs

Long holidays and CVs

I've just taken a holiday for a whole month and I'm now back on the contract hunt. The holiday wasn't a relaxing sun and sand hoiliday, it was more of a travelling and exploration trip, and I think of it more as a mini sabattical.

Does anyone put this kind of thing on their CV rather than leaving an unexplained gap? or am I just making a fuss about nothing? I'm just paranoid about agents thinking I've been unplaceable for a whole month.

Thanks,

CS

Working...
X